Quantcast

Bullit as a cross country bike...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Skookum said:
If they came out with a way i could throw a U-turn in my Boxxer i'd be totally stoked on my Bullit on ANY trail.
Call rockshox and order the "ineedtosellmyforkonebayandbuyanewone kit."

(You do know the 05 line has a U-turn boxxer, no? The lowest-end Nixon looks sweet, too...for half the price of the Fox. I'd love to put the Fox on my RFX, but just can't blow $1k on a fork that might end up having all sorts of first-year product woes...)

Seriously, though, have you asked Rockshox about retrofitting the U-turn into your current fork?

MD

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MikeD said:
Seriously, though, have you asked Rockshox about retrofitting the U-turn into your current fork?

MD
Nope but i certainly will now, that would make me a very very happy.

*choking back tears*

thanx MikeD your my bestest Ridemonkey pal of the week.
:love: :monkey:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Skookum said:
Nope but i certainly will now, that would make me a very very happy.

*choking back tears*

thanx MikeD your my bestest Ridemonkey pal of the week.
:love: :monkey:
Hey, did you get an answer on this? It'd be cool if you could do it...

Sep 29, 2004
that sounds like one of those ideas that ur really psyched about till u get on the bike and realize what a horribly awful idea it was

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
not a Bullit but......

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfmLPROD_ID=25706&lmfg_id=262&searchtext=&referpage=

a very good, and cheap alternative. meaning you can put more $$$ into the build, and swap frames out later if you so choose.

i just built up one as a beefier alternative to my beefy hardtail. my first fully.

a mix of light/burly parts, an 04 'zocchi Z-150, a bunch of parts bin spares/E-bay finds/local used bike shop finds/a few new parts built me a 38.5# 6x6 bike for slightly less than $1500.

having ridden it only twice since i finished the build on friday, i can say it's slower than my hardtail on the climbs, but not horribly so. it totally made up for it on the downs. not a replacement for my everyday ride, but i certainly would have nooooo problem using it as a regular trailbike, especially if you are limited to having only one or two bikes. beefy enough to go to keystone with, but still ride local trails as well.

a few other parts on the way should bust it down closer to 37#. and i think i could get to 36# without sacrificing too much in the way of durability, or using too much more $$$$. lighter than that would just entail throwing money at it. i may trade out the 6-way for a 3-way, since i really don't need all that much adjustability to the rear shock. just adds more weight/**** to go wrong; that's save 1-3# right off the bat.

it climbed/pedaled amazingly well with the swinger 6-way on the back, set in 6" mode.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
genpowell71 said:
The link is dead and doesnt show anything...

ooops. well, i can't get the link to work at all, sooo.......

it's the Weyless-67 frame from Supergo (their house brand of frames)

bullit clone, switchable between 6-7" of travel in the rear. comes with a manitou swinger 6-way coil shock.

$399 for frame/shock, comes with a cheapy seatpost/seatclamp. enough saved that you can then build it up fairly nicely, and swap the frame out later if you want.

i'm loving mine so far. search various forums; pics are around. i'll post a few of mine up tomorrow.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Sir Happypants said:
just for reference though alot of rm guys are more dh/fr oriented so they enjoy the big travel at all times :love:
i quite understand that, but since we're talking about a bullit used for an XC bike.......

i'll stick mine in 7" mode when doing a shuttle ride, or lift accessed stuff, but for other riding, i'll leave it in 6". tried it on one of my local trail loops in 7" the other day; muuuuuuch better for general riding in the 6" setting.

granted, i'm only 140#, so pedaling a 40# bike around with any amount of travel was harder than my hardtail!

hans2

Chimp
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Where does the Heckler show its weakness? Most of the riding I do in the northeast is more technical than big, fast, and abusive. I'm hoping this spring I'll finally get off the old hardtail and get the Heckler I've been wanting for years.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I have a Bullit that used to have a 2003 Z1 on it. It's my ride everything bike (because I've ridden my old hardtail once, and I smacked my nuts on the seat and had a sore back after an hour :D ) and I like it even better since I put a Sherman on the front (7 inch).

The extra pound or so isn't too bad considering the bike handles much more balanced. But, it's a pig. You won't beat your friends up many hills, but it's certainly doable. Especially at your weight, you may not notice it as much (I'm about 70lbs lighter than you.) You just have to get used to spinning in the little chainring.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
i didn't read thru all this to see where the thread was headed but to answer your original question in my opinion, the Bullit makes an awesome all-mountain bike.
I've ridden multi-day trips as well as done a 24-hour race on the Bullit with a 5h Element rear and Fox Talas fork up front.

I weigh about 190 and the Bullit frame provides a solid platform and lets me bomb thru the rough stuff without worrying about breaking the frame or overtaxing the suspension.
I also owned a Heckler at the same time and for Eastern conditions i'll pick the Bullit any day of the week.
the higher bottom bracket means i have to ratchet between rocks less, hit the pedals on rocks less and can keep a better flow.
I don't feel the least bit like the bike's holding me back. I ride with a damned fine group of riders and i have no trouble climbing the same hills, going the same distances or anything else.
as my ID might imply...i'm a huge fan....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Bullitboyz said:
i didn't read thru all this to see where the thread was headed but to answer your original question in my opinion, the Bullit makes an awesome all-mountain bike.
I've ridden multi-day trips as well as done a 24-hour race on the Bullit with a 5h Element rear and Fox Talas fork up front.

I weigh about 190 and the Bullit frame provides a solid platform and lets me bomb thru the rough stuff without worrying about breaking the frame or overtaxing the suspension.
I also owned a Heckler at the same time and for Eastern conditions i'll pick the Bullit any day of the week.
the higher bottom bracket means i have to ratchet between rocks less, hit the pedals on rocks less and can keep a better flow.
I don't feel the least bit like the bike's holding me back. I ride with a damned fine group of riders and i have no trouble climbing the same hills, going the same distances or anything else.
as my ID might imply...i'm a huge fan....

He does ride with a fine group of riders - many of them who are also on bullits, many of them more heavily configured than his, and they all rip on these bikes. I rode with a group of his riding friends last spring and damned near left one of my lungs and quadricep muscles on the trailside at Case Mountain in CT trying to keep up with these guys on their Bullits and Bull-lites! :dead:

That build up with the Talas up front is a great idea Bullitboyz - what did the bike weigh in at in that configuration? I bet not too bad right?

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
ok i weighed it, but keep in mind it has some heavy FSA cranks on it..
32.4 pounds..
the bike is AWESOME with the Talas.
good for the 24 hour stuff AND a weekend at Snowshoe, WV:

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
Heckler + Fox 36 = your ticket to paradise. IMO the Bullit is just too long and suffers chain growth and feedback due to a higher pivot/longer swigarm then the heckler. The tight and twisties would be a lot funner and the steeps would actually be easier since you'd have a slacker bike w/ 6" front/ 5" rear as opposed to 6" front/ 7" rear. My friends bullit feels more cumbersome (and heavier) than my 222 DH race bike. The BB on the bullit is probably lower than the heckler with the same fork. My ticket will be the addition of a 36 to my FXR. Then Ill only have 2 bikes... er... and a singlespeed.

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
This so-called ineffiencey and heavy weight of the bullit, would it affect flat-land much? I do lots of flatland. I mean, its only 1 pound lighter and with a stable platform shock....