Quantcast

bullit or ASX? which would you choose and why?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well, it seems the bikes are pretty close in comparison so which would you choose and why?

J

JRB

biggins said:

meh - that's not really the only reason, but came to mind first. What kind of warranty does Yeti have? If it's better than SCs 2 years, I would get the Yeti.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Whichever one you can get in Rootbeer, which will probably be the Bullit.

They do seem similar, get the one you can find the best deal on. Plenty of bullits available used.

J

JRB

Taken from MTBR after I googled "Yeti bikes warranty" -

This is in regard to the 575 having a 5 year warranty. I can see less on a big bike.

Hmmm.... I wonder why is there a difference
... between 575's warranty and an AS-X? I emailed Yeti a few weeks back and they said an AS-X has a 3 year warranty:
"ASX warranty is for 3 years against manufactures defects. We have a crash replacement warranty for Yeti Customers if they trash their frame. We replace the frame at a discounted price".
I wonder if it's because of the expected bigger abuse of the frame compared to say, a 575? Is this normal for a company to have different warranty for different bike models?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco-gringo said:
I wonder if it's because of the expected bigger abuse of the frame compared to say, a 575? Is this normal for a company to have different warranty for different bike models?
Of course.. Many bike manufacturers warrenty different model types for different periods. A DH race bike will get trashed a lot faster than most XC race bikes.

Unless there's a specific geometry measurement that you want in one or the other, I'd go with the AS-X strictly for two very easy benefits: the 1.5" headtube (stronger and allows a wider choice of forks), and the rear linkage which will likely be stiffer and also makes the shock rate slightly progressive. Plus a travel adjustment if you're into that sort of thing.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Westy said:
Plenty of bullits available used.
naw im lookin for brand new. frame and rear shock only. my riding will consist mainly of trails/drops, lots of jumping, some skinnies and things like that.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
They are similar in design, but the ride is very different. Having ridden Tweek's Bullit (size Large with a 5th coil) and my AS-X (size Large with a 5th coil), I think the AS-X feels like a more roomy cockpit, and the Bullit feels a little more plush. They are priced pretty close. In terms of durability, the Bullit has definitely proven itself, and I think the AS-X has done the same. The Yeti has a little more bling IMO, and you get the 1.5 headtube. The Bullit has WAY more color options. I would recommend you ride them both, it's gonna come down to personal preference.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
hmmmmmmmm.......i have an idea where i can ride each of them, i just wanted to get some opinions, and i know ridemonkey is full of them

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
I currently have a Bullit and love it. I was seriuosly looking into an ASX a while back and the 1.5 is a big + in my book, but after having a Bullit in the past it was an easy choice. The things I really enjoy about the Bullit with the 5th on it is how adustable the suspensions is to suit your taste, how reasonable light it is, the way it jumps and really fits me well. I'm doing more and bigger stunts/jumps on it than I ever have and it's been very solid and reliable.

My vote is for Bullit only because it was the best choice for me because it was a known quantity, there are very many of them out there for a reason, and it's pretty easy to find a SC dealer if I need one.

Just my $.02...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm pretty sure both companies have dealer agreements that say you can't advertize under MSRP. Go-ride gets around that by offering "store credit". What size are you looking for?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
A bullit is the only big bike I have ever spent any real time on & i loved it (I guess I am not really a fair judge). I took La's bullit on a couple runs at keystone & have been wanting my own ever since then, I would like a small though.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
bikeguy100k said:
I must be a grom, because I'm 36! Nice stereotyping stoney... :rolleyes:
Look on the bright side, at least your not part of the "tribe".

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i see people racng dh on bullets every once in while, will the asx be able to take that as well? will the asx be as durable?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm of the opinion that the AS-X is every bit as durable as the Bullit. But I'm sure there are plenty of Bullit faithful who will argue that point until they are blue in the face.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Echo said:
I'm of the opinion that the AS-X is every bit as durable as the Bullit. But I'm sure there are plenty of Bullit faithful who will argue that point until they are blue in the face.
maybe but then there are a ton of people that have ridden Bullits like me and have never even seen an ASX on the trail. i have seen a 575 though, for what it's worth....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i have seen boken bullits but everything breaks. i mean if i kick it off a 15 foot drop do i need to worry? i know the bullit can take it.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Both bikes will meet your needs. The ASX was built to compete with the Bullit so the design criteria are probably very similar. Whether you think the swinglink and 1.5HT are improvements is subjective but I'd ride both if possible. If it were me I'd look at price, warranty and sizing to make the decision since neither bike blows the other away technology wise.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Skookum said:
maybe but then there are a ton of people that have ridden Bullits like me and have never even seen an ASX on the trail. i have seen a 575 though, for what it's worth....
I'm confused here, are you saying that you have seen lots of Bullits, but never seen an AS-X, and because of that the Bullit is more durable?

Wouldn't that be similar to saying that the Camaro is faster than the Mustang because there are more of them on the road?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Echo said:
I'm confused here, are you saying that you have seen lots of Bullits, but never seen an AS-X, and because of that the Bullit is more durable?

Wouldn't that be similar to saying that the Camaro is faster than the Mustang because there are more of them on the road?
i just made the statement. the reader makes up the rest. i'm not trying to sell anyone anything, i was just sharing what i've seen is all.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Skookum said:
i just made the statement. the reader makes up the rest. i'm not trying to sell anyone anything, i was just sharing what i've seen is all.
Your statement was a reply to a quote of mine regarding durability. I'm just confused what your point was. From that statement, it sounded like you were implying that since you have never seen an AS-X, it must not be as durable. But now you are saying you wanted to make it known that you've never seen an AS-X, but you didn't mean to imply anything else? ;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
Of course.. Many bike manufacturers warrenty different model types for different periods. A DH race bike will get trashed a lot faster than most XC race bikes.
not necessarily true. the xc racer is probably uber-light, and the first time you dump it into a rock garden, half the tubes will probably crumple.

a friend of mine killed his ellsworth truth by having the bars swing around on a crash; the SRAM shifter dented the top tube bad enough that the front triangle was toast.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Echo said:
Your statement was a reply to a quote of mine regarding durability. I'm just confused what your point was. From that statement, it sounded like you were implying that since you have never seen an AS-X, it must not be as durable. But now you are saying you wanted to make it known that you've never seen an AS-X, but you didn't mean to imply anything else? ;)
i think he's implying that the N of the bullit is one or two orders of magnitude larger than the ASX, both in units sold and in months of in-use service.

biggins said:
i see people racng dh on bullets every once in while, will the asx be able to take that as well? will the asx be as durable?
There were several yeti/rpm riders at snowshoe this year racing on as-x's and i also raced mine at snowshoe and windrock with no problems what so ever. although my as-x has been sold i would say you cant go wrong with that bike.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
narlus said:
not necessarily true. the xc racer is probably uber-light, and the first time you dump it into a rock garden, half the tubes will probably crumple.

a friend of mine killed his ellsworth truth by having the bars swing around on a crash; the SRAM shifter dented the top tube bad enough that the front triangle was toast.
Key word in your post = Ellsworth ;)

Yo biggins, see if ya can get that ASX with a DHX shock.
That would be nice.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Go for the yeti no doubt. So much more gnar factor. Bullits are so 2001 huckfest. No seriosly the main reason I would choose the ASX is because of the swinglink. It only improves upon the design. It adds stiffness and gives it a much more progressive stroke instead of having to rely solely on the 5th. Ive ridden a few bullits and every one of them felt harsh and super twitchy. The wheelbase is REALLY short like 41in for a medium so id assume that would add to the twitchiness.The bottem bracket is about the same for both bikes but the ASX has a travel adjustment as well. Also the 1.5 HT on the ASX can come into handy if you ever want to run a single crown fork or by chance if you sell it someone else may be apealed by the 1.5 option. Im not dissing the bullit but I really don't see any reason other then SC loyalty or your disliking of the ASX ride-wise to choose the bullit. Strictly on E-terms, versatility(travel adjustment) and Geometry (my liking dono about urs) Id pick the ASX.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
new asx's com with the fox dhx, I have had both, asx is stiffer and the link makes the shock rate progressive instead of falling rate.

skeletor

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
STORE.
yeti. i have one and i love it. its way nicer, stiffer, and pedals better then my freinds bullit. plus, theres almost nothing you could do to that frame that would make you need the warranty, it is strong as hell.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Um, does the swinglink do anything other than add stiffness and take some of the side loads away from the shock? Does it effect the shock rate at all? Just curious, I didn't think the linkage was really driving the shock as much as just being along for the ride.

Having said that, since they're so similar, if the 1.5 and swing link alone aren't enough to sway you I'd say it comes down to geometry and the intangible feel of the bikes, so ride 'em and make your decision based on which one you like better, they both have proven durability, etc.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
OGRipper said:
Um, does the swinglink do anything other than add stiffness and take some of the side loads away from the shock? Does it effect the shock rate at all? Just curious, I didn't think the linkage was really driving the shock as much as just being along for the ride.
It does actually affect the shock rate - the ASX is a progressive rate design.

This was proved by.. err.. someone or other posting some long winded explanation :p

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Actually an XC-race frame can be thrashed easier than a DH frame imho.... hence many companies offering XC-race frames over 2yr maximum warranty.

On the other hand you got specialized that offers 5yrs warranty on ANY frame (UK), and banshee 10yrs again, and nicolai 5yrs.