Quantcast

bullit train to vegas

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
after not having a functional fully since the US Open, i finally got a new toy built up:

got a few hours in at the shed on sunday and an hour at the trails today. overall, i'm very impressed with how flickable and responsive it is. breaking this one should be a bit harder of a task... i hope :sneaky:

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Looks nice though points deducted for the following reasons by the Russian judge:

- Mismatched rims
- Rear rim with silver sidewall and silver spokes while front is all black
- Nonremoval of Marzocchi warning sticker
- Visible grease on seatpost

But good effort. At least you don't have the cassette plastic protector, reflectors, or a cyclo-computer on there. ;) :thumb:

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
HotButterToppin said:
Looks nice though points deducted for the following reasons by the Russian judge:
but officer i can EXPLAIN!!!

- Mismatched rims
i break lots of stuff... one of the first things to go was the XT rear axle at diablo. i've yet to break a front rim though, so that'll stick around.
- Rear rim with silver sidewall and silver spokes while front is all black
yeah, i can't fight that one... the fashionista in me HATES that
- Nonremoval of Marzocchi warning sticker
heehe... i have a history of not paying attention to those anyway. and i tried to scrape it off, but itsa PITA
- Visible grease on seatpost
that's extra duct tape... don't tell me you don't have extra duct tape on your bike??? heracy!

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
shweet frame congrats maeng!!!! I'm really loving mine so far too, but am waiting on a much heavier spring to see where that goes. But even undersprung these frames ride a lot lighter than they really are! (My small+shock was 9.5 lbs naked). They bunny hop and wheelie surprisingly well!

I <3 the chromed swingarm. We can trade swingarms =D

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
So that is the bike that will be beating me at the OPEN next year????

Core, if you need some suspension set up tips shoot me an email.

Steve

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
yup, provided i build up enough kitchen passes before then. actually, i'm hoping to bring the wife and kid along to most of the races next year. she says she's down, but we'll see when the time draws near.

i'm going to rebuild the fork with 5w oil and see if that helps the overall feeling, but yeah, i am in sore need of understanding the 5th.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Start here
http://www.tftunedshox.com/progressive/setupcoil.htm

Once you get your sag sorted out you are ready for the fine turning of it. I would recommend like 40% SAG that will slacken the HA out a little and you still won't bottom it if the spring is correct.

The suggested settings are for DH applications and racing.
80PSI in the chamber
Crank out the vol. adluster all the way out then one turn in
beginning stroke: from a full in position, turn out 2 times
ending stroke: full out
rebound: full out (no rebound) then 1/2 turn in, if that feels to fast like you are gonna get jacked turn in 1/2 turn increments

That should get you rolling for a full DH set up.

If you want it to ride more like a trail bike let me know I have some setting for that also.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
I weigh 180 lbs without equipment and am going for a 500# spring, apperently Santa Cruz undersprings the shocks on the bullits, I should get my 500 spring sometime soon hopefully and will let you know how it turns out... I'm currently running a 300# spring and can bottom the suspension out on a 2 foot drop, which is ridiculous (turning the knobs - like compression- all the way in helps a tiny little bit, but I am told those are for fine tuning, in no way should they really be used to compensate for a soft spring)...

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
shortbus...where is your volume adjuster set? The bullit is a pretty low leverage bike so I would expect it to be a bit over sprung with a 500# spring for your weight. Unless your volume is set over half way in and still bottoming, I'd look a something in between.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Hey, yeah my pressure is set pretty high (like 120) and the volume adjuster is half a turn from max, and the fast compression setting like half a turn from max, so it's basically with all those settings near max and a good amnt of preload, I could bottom it ou off a 3step jump. I'm guessing with the 500 I'll be using lower pressure and smaller volume. Still waiting on the spring but i'll give some feedback once I get it.

C-

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Well to give an update I finally got my 500# spring yesterday and discovered how you have to press out the sleeve off the shock to be able to remove the spring. a PIA if you ask me but the nice folks at Perf. in Reston helped me out.
My so far very limited initial impression is the spring did feel on the stiff side at first, but I ended up with the correct sag (25-30%) with the correct air pressure and no preload at all. Bike still felt responsive in the parking lot but not as noodely as i'm used to, which I think is a good thing. I'm thinking a 450 would have left me on the softer side which is bad on a linear rate type frame, so 500 was pretty much spot on as a couple of people had mentioned. SC def. underspring their frames then. I weigh 180lbs without any gear, so I hope that gives you some sort of ref. Corey... I'm taking her out to some minor drops etc tomaro to get a better feel tho but so far so good...

C-

EDIT: just to clarify in my case i'm setting it up more for XC'ish and freeride applications rather than pure DH, so i do run less sag than you would for a DH application.