Quantcast

Bummed Knee

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
question: (without going to the doctor again)
Would I be able to tell if there is fluid build-up on my knee I crashed on? Any tell-tale signs to indicate that there is fluid in there? It feels like jello........

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Decribe the injury. How did it happen? What happened? How long ago? Have you iced, taken anti-inflammatories? Any feeling of instability? There's some obvious swelling, but it's hard to tell if there's just some mild edema or if there is some serious joint effusion.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
u a doctor...damn, so many questions:)

Crashed hard on Weds nite ride...I tried to avoid landing on my right side since I have a dislocated shoulder as it is so I tried to catch the grunt of the crash on my left side.. Knee came contact with the hardest as hell packed dirt first and then my chest and right forearm.... The left knee swell instantaneously and felt numb right after.. I have taken mild anti-inflmamtory pills and iced it the last two days... Now I can barely bend it at 90deg position and the swelling extends from the cap all over to the sides...and it feels like jello when I poke at the cap area.....kinda cool in a weird way..

trying to find out if I will do more damage to it if I go on a putz ride tomorrow

Porkybmx

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
hey orven, I've had pretty chronic knee problems since I was 13. If your knee is a bit swollen and you can't bend it 90%, you probably injured a tendon behind you knee-cap that has swollen up now. Does it feel tender to stand on that side you injured? My doctor has always said to put the knee on ice for the first two days after the incident. After that, it doesn't help. Take Naproxen. I think you can get it by perscription only, but I still have a bunch from my most recent knee injury. PM me if you want me to send you a couple :) It really brings down the swelling. It take about a week to heal. I was doing some light riding with my knee brace by day 5. It feels weird to bend you knee when I sat down, so in class i had my leg on a chair all the time:p good luck Orven w/ a speedy recovery

-ty

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Originally posted by Porkybmx
Take Naproxen. I think you can get it by perscription only,

Alleve (OTC drug) has Naproxen sodium in it. Rite aid and other drug stores also make their "generic" naproxen. You can get prescription naproxen but the main difference is the strength. You can get 500mg prescription naproxen pills while the stuff you buy in a drug store is much weaker.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
hey orven, I've had pretty chronic knee problems since I was 13. If your knee is a bit swollen and you can't bend it 90%, you probably injured a tendon behind you knee-cap that has swollen up now. Does it feel tender to stand on that side you injured? My doctor has always said to put the knee on ice for the first two days after the incident. After that, it doesn't help. Take Naproxen. I think you can get it by perscription only, but I still have a bunch from my most recent knee injury. PM me if you want me to send you a couple :) It really brings down the swelling. It take about a week to heal. I was doing some light riding with my knee brace by day 5. It feels weird to bend you knee when I sat down, so in class i had my leg on a chair all the time:p good luck Orven w/ a speedy recovery

-ty
if the swelling doesn't go away by next weekend..and if you're going to BB (Sod8's group ride going on)...I'd take you up on the offer for the Naproxen.. It's still very swollen and barely able to bend as we speak....:mad:

mtbiac

Chimp
Jan 8, 2002
Florida
torn ligaments (ACL, MCL, LCL, PCL) swell up alot!! I would know because I just tore my ACL/meniscus and had surgery. Swelled like a mother right after i did it, next day I could barely bend it. But I also couldnt walk, put weight on it or it would collapse...

is the muscle strong still? (quads, hamstring, etc)

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by mtbiac

is the muscle strong still? (quads, hamstring, etc)
I hope it's not torn or anything... but I can still walk (limping around)...and I can put a lot of weight and pressure on it still.
The swelling has gone down a lil bit as of today...but I could still barely bend it to a functional degree. The weird thing is that when I rub the swollen right side of my knee cap, I can feel the whole left side twicth...like it's a part of a whole big lump ot knot...
So I'm still down for the count!!!:(
Thanks

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Orven, I'm heading up to BB this weekend. I'll bring the Naproxen just in case. Hope to see you at least coasting around on your bike this weekend:)
cool

yeah, I think I'm gonna pass on Interbike once again this year...might as well put in some riding..... see ya there unless my body implodes or something...

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by Orven
u a doctor...damn, so many questions:)

Crashed hard on Weds nite ride...I tried to avoid landing on my right side since I have a dislocated shoulder as it is so I tried to catch the grunt of the crash on my left side.. Knee came contact with the hardest as hell packed dirt first and then my chest and right forearm.... The left knee swell instantaneously and felt numb right after.. I have taken mild anti-inflmamtory pills and iced it the last two days... Now I can barely bend it at 90deg position and the swelling extends from the cap all over to the sides...and it feels like jello when I poke at the cap area.....kinda cool in a weird way..

trying to find out if I will do more damage to it if I go on a putz ride tomorrow
OK, based on the photo, here are my immediate observations and drive-by diagnosis (I'm not your doc, so this is NOT a definitive dx) :

You have trauma to the knee (duh) that has caused disruption in your dermal layers. Keep those scrapes clean. The trauma appears to be localized and not significant for the lower leg, correct? No twisting of the lower leg? This is primarily an impact injury then. Since the lower leg was not involved, most likely ligament injury can be ruled out. Meniscus injury can't be absolutely ruled out, but the likely diagnosis is some sort of notable injury to the patella or perhaps even the distal head of the femur or proximal head of the tibia. I'm guessing patella.

Do not ride. Go see a doctor. If you have no med benefits, email me and I'll help coordinate proper care for you.