Quantcast

Bumped into my work at the store...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
:thumb:

I used to do food package/label design, and seeing my stuff was a thrill, especially if someone was buying the product. The grocery store was just a big gallery for me. My first wife hated grocery shopping with me...

:rolleyes:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
That's a cool feeling to see your stuff getting recognized.

I've done a fair amount of recording for my bands and a few others. One time I was driving in the truck listening to the local college radio station and this song came on that I sort of recognized. About halfway through the song it finally dawned on me that it was a friend's band and that I had recorded it for them. That was pretty cool.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Every month I see my magazine at Barnes and Noble, the grocery store etc. and it's weird to see who's buying it. It's also strange to be sitting in a doctor's office and to have it there. I'll always wait to see if people stop at my articles.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
stinkyboy said:
:thumb:

I used to do food package/label design, and seeing my stuff was a thrill, especially if someone was buying the product. The grocery store was just a big gallery for me. My first wife hated grocery shopping with me...

Thats how I am in the Jazz secion at Barnes and Noble :)
At one point I had 4 albums for people in the jazz section released within a month of eachother... Album artwork, posters, P.O.P. stuff... It was a trip to be literally surrounded in my own sh!t. And all stuff I liked too :)

The other place that is a trip is a nutrition store... Jeezbus, my crap everywhere. The bad part is its all crap that I'm not proud of.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
golgiaparatus said:
The bad part is its all crap that I'm not proud of.
I hear ya. I had a client that insisted on absolute crap, and I did a bunch of work for him (the money was nice), but he ran into some Agency people I know at a conference and showed them what "great" work I was doing for him. Very embarrassing...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
bluebug32 said:
Every month I see my magazine at Barnes and Noble, the grocery store etc. and it's weird to see who's buying it. It's also strange to be sitting in a doctor's office and to have it there. I'll always wait to see if people stop at my articles.
That's cool... which magazine?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Cooter Brown said:
that's cool Jon, that must be a rush to see that on the world wide intraweb

*and on a side note, how's the married life treatin ya?
Treating me pretty well, still getting the house in order, getting use to living with another person with different habbits is interesting... wife wants to kill me every once in a while and I cant ever figure out why... I think thats par for the course though :D

Got to do T.G. with her family, all super nice, likable people... well, her sister scares me a little :p T.G. was at her house in OKC. Her hubby is an ortho surgeon so the house is massive, with gates and 1/4 mile long driveway, etc, etc. Dog wears a diaper... they actually have a giant living room with ultra expensive furniture and a huge vaulted ceiling with uber intricate crown molding and silk wallpaper. Its the main room of the house, bigger than my backyard... and get this... no one is allowed in there, no walk on carpet, no sit on furniture. I was like :eek: why buy a house with a giant living room if you cant go in it... why buy a 3k couch if you cant sit on it. Wierd.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
stinkyboy said:
I hear ya. I had a client that insisted on absolute crap, and I did a bunch of work for him (the money was nice), but he ran into some Agency people I know at a conference and showed them what "great" work I was doing for him. Very embarrassing...
Bread and butter baby, bread and butter. 80% of my work is for nutrition clients. They love cheezy unclassy, over the top sh!t with way too much information... I hate it, but it pays the bills. My book includes absolutely none of that stuff, but my bank includes all of it :D

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Its a great feeling, isn't it!

I remember one time I was driving across Kansas with my sister and we stopped at a roadside gas station. I was looking through the magazines, and there in front of me was a mag that I'd been the creative director for. Showed it to my sis and she flipped.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
golgiaparatus said:
Treating me pretty well, still getting the house in order, getting use to living with another person with different habbits is interesting... wife wants to kill me every once in a while and I cant ever figure out why... I think thats par for the course though :D

Got to do T.G. with her family, all super nice, likable people... well, her sister scares me a little :p T.G. was at her house in OKC. Her hubby is an ortho surgeon so the house is massive, with gates and 1/4 mile long driveway, etc, etc. Dog wears a diaper... they actually have a giant living room with ultra expensive furniture and a huge vaulted ceiling with uber intricate crown molding and silk wallpaper. Its the main room of the house, bigger than my backyard... and get this... no one is allowed in there, no walk on carpet, no sit on furniture. I was like :eek: why buy a house with a giant living room if you cant go in it... why buy a 3k couch if you cant sit on it. Wierd.

that's just plain retarded :rolleyes:

good to hear things are going good

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
bluebug32 said:
What mag?

I work for Hudson Valley magazine (a regional in NY) and freelance for some Weider pubs. Right now, I'm doing some articles for the new relaunch of Muscle and Fitness Hers
It was a mag dedicated to fantasy sports that tanked after 2 issues. John Benson's Fantasy Football and John Benson's Fantasy Baseball. The company I worked for at the time was owned by the company that ran the online fantasy games for Sporting News and MSNBC. I was the creative director for web developement and the powers-that-be decided they wanted a magazine, so they came to me and said "we want a magazine". I said "Well, I've never designed a magazine before, but I'll see what I can do". So I did.

Edit: Here's John with Larry Walker holding a copy of my cover...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I like seeing my records in the stores, but I HATE getting recognised in public. (fortunately it rarely happens)

I was in the local movie rental place w/ my wife the other day and the guy behind the counter new who I was just by looking at me.

"Your Jason right?"

"Uh, yeah..."

"Hey I really love your music, I really respect the work you guys do."

"Oh..uh...wow, thanks!"

It's tough, because what am I supposed to say? It puts you on a weird footing right away.

"Hey man, way to go on renting us that copy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I really respect your work here." :confused: :o:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
H8R said:
I like seeing my records in the stores, but I HATE getting recognised in public. (fortunately it rarely happens)

I was in the local movie rental place w/ my wife the other day and the guy behind the counter new who I was just by looking at me.

"Your Jason right?"

"Uh, yeah..."

"Hey I really love your music, I really respect the work you guys do."

"Oh..uh...wow, thanks!"

It's tough, because what am I supposed to say? It puts you on a weird footing right away.

"Hey man, way to go on renting us that copy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I really respect your work here." :confused: :o:
which band are you in again?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
The thrill of seeing my own work at newsstands is long gone. Seeing the shoddy work of others still bring me joy.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
H8R said:

"Your Jason right?"

"Uh, yeah..."
Well, duh...sure the guy at Blockbuster is gona know your name once he looks up your account...

Here's how it probably REALLY went:

"You're Jason, right?"

"uh...yeah.."

"SECURITY....here's that asshole that never returns any of the Ashton Kutcher movies!" :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
dh girlie said:
Well, duh...sure the guy at Blockbuster is gona know your name once he looks up your account...

Here's how it probably REALLY went:

"You're Jason, right?"

"uh...yeah.."

"SECURITY....here's that asshole that never returns any of the Ashton Kutcher movies!" :D
A) I'll never go to Blockbuster. This is a local video store with a "cooler" selection.

B) I'm not ON the account, my wife is. My name did not appear on any screen. Well DUH!

C) Ashton has a pretty mouth. :help:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
stinkyboy said:
My family has no idea what I do for a living... "So you draw on computers and use words?"

Midwesterners are so cute.
I tell them I am an art pimp... i.e. I take my talent for art and I pimp it out to the highest bidder... "what do you want me to do with my art... I'm not into that but okay, since you are paying me".

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
Three. What?! At least I'm not scared to commit!

Three??????

I'm on my second and LAST.

Your 50% more insane than me.