Quantcast

bumper sticker

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
This is sort of a Buddhist approach and it's been what works for me. I was raised Roman Catholic and used it a base growing up. But as science disproves faith, the faith fades.

I still hold a notion of "god" in a sense that someone started something somewhere. But if there were a God in the traditional sense that I was taught in school, then why would he allow someone like Father Oliie do what he did in his (God's) house?
free will?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So how do free will and original sin fit together? That's kind of like God breaking both of Usain Bolt's legs, and then telling him that if he can't run a 9 flat he's going to be tortured for eternity.
So you got the memo, huh?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
So how do free will and original sin fit together? That's kind of like God breaking both of Usain Bolt's legs, and then telling him that if he can't run a 9 flat he's going to be tortured for eternity.
This is where our Western thinking gets all jacked up, we think in "either or" concepts. The folks that brought us this idea of a God that knows everything and yet gives people free will were Eastern thinking semetic people. The culture that those ideas came out of is comfortable holding two apparently contradictory ideas true at the same time. Maybe some of our Jewish RM friends can chime in.

I'm not offering a comprehensive explaination, just the point of view of the folks that authored that Text.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
In an interview entitled "Aliens Are My Brother", granted to L'Osservatore Romano, the Vatican newspaper, Father Gabriel Funes, director of the Vatican Observatory, stated: "In my opinion this possibility (of life on other planets) exists"; "intelligent beings, created by God may exist in outer space" and "some aliens could even be free from original sin" concluding "there could be (other beings) who remained in full friendship with their creator".
Seriously, I personally believe that there is no original sin, there was no Adam and Eve in a garden. Something created the bang or "go" point of the universe, we are most likely an experiment and each of us are capable to make our own decisions, create our own version of right and wrong and will someday possibly atone in some way for everything we've done.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Seriously, I personally believe that there is no original sin, there was no Adam and Eve in a garden. Something created the bang or "go" point of the universe, we are most likely an experiment and each of us are capable to make our own decisions, create our own version of right and wrong and will someday possibly atone in some way for everything we've done.
Well since we're just making sh*t up with no basis for belief, I guess I believe I get unlimited poontang and beer when I die.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
This is where our Western thinking gets all jacked up, we think in "either or" concepts. The folks that brought us this idea of a God that knows everything and yet gives people free will were Eastern thinking semetic people. The culture that those ideas came out of is comfortable holding two apparently contradictory ideas true at the same time. Maybe some of our Jewish RM friends can chime in.

I'm not offering a comprehensive explaination, just the point of view of the folks that authored that Text.
I'm talking about original sin though, not omniscience.

Let's put it another way: Is it moral to ask someone to do an impossible task (that you know and freely admit is impossible) and then hold them responsible when they fail?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Let's put it another way: Is it moral to ask someone to do an impossible task (that you know and freely admit is impossible) and then hold them responsible when they fail?
God doesn't have to be moral, dumbass.

He already drowned everyone in the world with a flood, sent his own son to die, played a joke on Abraham where he asked him to kill his first-born child, put a bunch of plagues on egypt, tortured Job for all he was worth... the list goes on.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
:redface:
I'm talking about original sin though, not omniscience.

Oh sorry about that :redface:..........the whole "free will vs. God knows everything" discussion also touches on this a bit.

Original sin is a Christian (post 325 AD) invention, not a Jewish (Jesus and early church) belief.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
No poon, no beer, and a bunch of christians and aborted fetuses all over the place. Ick.
I'm sure some "normal" Christians paint it that way.......:rolleyes:

The Bible talks about "Heaven on earth" not some place in the clouds and mentions a "marriage feast". For a 1st century Jew a marriage feast was a week long drunken party (that Jesus made wine for), that began with the bride and groom hooking up (with everyone in attendance just outside listening to make sure things got cosumated).

I think that most Christian have no idea what the afterlife will be like, or who will be there, frankly they make is sound boring. I like the understanding that the folks who lived when the Bible was alot better.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131965&highlight=maggots+cancer
binary visions said:
had a woman come in a few weeks ago, with grapefruit sized breast cancer lumps all over her breasts.

They had been neglected to the point that they split open, started to ooze and had become infested with maggots. The woman came in, not to be treated, but to have them cleaned out because they had gotten to the point where her husband would not have sex with her anymore.
she said that if she was meant to be healed, then God would heal her and that it was not her place to interfere if He chose to let her die. She was fully insured, by the way.
Perhaps you can imagine why someone would think the bumper sticker is stupid.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Yeah, people who thought the earth was flat, and didn't know where the sun went at night usually have the best info.
I would argue the understanding the people that wrote a particular ancient text (regardless of the text itself be it the Torah, Gospel, or Quran) is the best way to understand said text. I made no reference to their understanding of the shape of the earth or the solar system, just the concept of "original sin" and the afterlife you referred to.

I'd much rather take their understanding than say a bunch of power hungry dudes hundreds of years after the fact or some jack ass on TV with big hair and a bad suit.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I would argue the understanding the people that wrote a particular ancient text (regardless of the text itself be it the Torah, Gospel, or Quran) is the best way to understand said text. I made no reference to their understanding of the shape of the earth or the solar system, just the concept of "original sin" and the afterlife you referred to.

I'd much rather take their understanding than say a bunch of power hungry dudes hundreds of years after the fact or some jack ass on TV with big hair and a bad suit.
People once thought there was a giant guy in the clouds named Thor, banging around huge hammers, because they were too stupid to understand where thunder came from. Im sure that's written in an ancient text somewhere, so you probably believe that too.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
People once thought there was a giant guy in the clouds named Thor, banging around huge hammers, because they were too stupid to understand where thunder came from. Im sure that's written in an ancient text somewhere, so you probably believe that too.
So I can answer this one of two ways:

I don't believe I was advocating the stories in the Bible were true in my comments on here, just clarifying the context of statements about concepts that came from the Bible.

OR

Dude you've become a real dick since I left RM last..............

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
so i can answer this one of two ways:

I don't believe i was advocating the stories in the bible were true in my comments on here, just clarifying the context of statements about concepts that came from the bible.

Or

dude you've become a real dick since i left rm last..............
b......

lol

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I don't believe I was advocating the stories in the Bible were true in my comments on here, just clarifying the context of statements about concepts that came from the Bible.
Im doing the exact same thing..establishing context. Trying to illustrate that people who lived before modern science had little but superstition to fall back on, when trying to answer... basically anything. Thus, their "understanding" of lots of things is probably a little screwed up. Why is that view any better than that of some televangelist?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
100 years from now people are going to think our understanding is screwed up.......but does that make someone, or a group of people "too stupid" (the thunder and Thor reference)? Their science wasn't all bad in the ancienct world, they built the Pyramids and a sh*t load of other huge structures without any heavy equipment.........

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wasn't all religion made up, not out of belief, but as a way to control the masses?
Made up? Sure.

I don't think the control paradigm happened until after the fact though. Seems like some genuine attempts to basically explain some observations and institute some positive societal framework. Of course I live in the same road raging, xenophobic, greed driven world that everyone else does, so I'm not quite sure why I have this rosy outlook on past human intention.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
i dont feel like getting into a fight with a bunch of people i dont even know and affect me in no way what so ever so ill just leave it at this.
you might as well belive in God. if hes not real then its the same turn out either way...
an i belive all this had to come from somewere.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
i dont feel like getting into a fight with a bunch of people i dont even know and affect me in no way what so ever so ill just leave it at this.
you might as well belive in God. if hes not real then its the same turn out either way...
an i belive all this had to come from somewere.
"Might as well" believe in unicorns, sasquatch and the holocaust too, I guess.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
belive whatever the hell ya want. ill send ya some marshmellows to roast in Hell, have fun.
And here, nicely illustrated is the problem with attempting to have a religious discussion with most religious people. They either get offended and cry like little girls (hi Ciaran!) or they go straight to a naked argument from authority that is filled with threats of eternal damnation. Notice the only real interesting discussion is with Andyman, because he doesn't take his ball and go home after stamping his feet like a little bitch (Ciaran again!)

It's coarse and savage behavior, but the boy does worship a coarse and savage God, like Burly pointed out...