Quantcast

bumper sticker

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
100 years from now people are going to think our understanding is screwed up.......but does that make someone, or a group of people "too stupid" (the thunder and Thor reference)? Their science wasn't all bad in the ancienct world, they built the Pyramids and a sh*t load of other huge structures without any heavy equipment.........
Im trying to figure out how this post in any way relates to the current discussion, but Im not having any luck. :confused:

Edit: I hate to come off like a complete dick, I just don't think this is going anywhere.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
belive whatever the hell ya want. ill send ya some marshmellows to roast in Hell, have fun.
What I find funny is how people use Hell as a threat as if it has been proven through science that it exists.

I bet that's where unicorns go when they die.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I actually had a preacher once, from the pulpit no less, preach that his job was to "scare the hell out of you"................needless to say it's been MANY years since I attended that church.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I actually had a preacher once, from the pulpit no less, preach that his job was to "scare the hell out of you"................needless to say it's been MANY years since I attended that church.
I had a preacher once, from the pulpit, state that the AIDS virus is over 100x smaller than the hole in a condom.

:crazy:

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Damn, and I thought he was gonna grace us with his presence. He must be down partying with the devil.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
im not trying to scare you into faith because obviously your fine beliving that we came from a puddle of ****. just being blunt with ya.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
im not trying to scare you into faith because obviously your fine beliving that we came from a puddle of ****. just being blunt with ya.
Dude, not being picky, but please read your post before clicking the Submit Reply button.

If you type, therefore communicate, just a bit intelligently, you're more likely to be taken just a wee bit more seriously around here.

That being said, your faith to you is the single, one true path to "salvation". Do you have an open enough mind to consider that may not be the case, and people that believe other things may stand as much of a chance of "salvation" (whatever that is) as you do? What if there is a "Creator" of some kind, and evolution was the means to populate this experiment?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That being said, your faith to you is the single, one true path to "salvation". Do you have an open enough mind to consider that may not be the case, and people that believe other things may stand as much of a chance of "salvation" (whatever that is) as you do? What if there is a "Creator" of some kind, and evolution was the means to populate this experiment?
Didn't you see the episode of South Park? The correct answer is Mormon.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
ok, how is this post?
i have come to my religious belief because it makes the most sense in my opinion. no body KNOWS for sure so im happy beliving in God.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
you just proved Silver right.....
Meh. He can be right as rain and I don't give a crap. He's on my ignore list to stay so I don't know what drivel he posted this time. I am not involved in this conversation anyway, I was merely trying to save trailrider some headaches.

The :disgust1: was for TR not heeding my advice. I already know not to have religious discussions in here. TR told people they were going to "roast in hell". He's on his own with that one.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm not religious (side effect of years of catholic school) but I wish there were more thoughtful intelligent people out there defending religion. The debate isn't even fun with most people.

The person who's belief in God I most respect was my high school biology teacher (he was a Lasallian Brother). He had vast scientific knowledge, he is now employed by the Monterrey Aquarium, and had thoughtfully considered science and religion. His conclusion was to devote his life to the Catholic religion. Now there was a man who made debating religion thought provoking and worth wile.

After all, faith in God is no more crazy that my belief in concepts like time dilation or the big bang. I have no evidence to back up these ideas other than the observations and theorizing of scientists.

The difference is that scientific theories are carefully thought through and openly debated without threats of damnation and such.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I respect your faith, If you really thought about it and have an open mind to the evidence. Which doesn't seem to be the case for a certain poster here.

If you made it to the end of my ramblings thanks, and congrats on your longer than average attention span.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
After all, faith in God is no more crazy that my belief in concepts like time dilation or the big bang. I have no evidence to back up these ideas other than the observations and theorizing of scientists.
Nicely said............:thumb:

The difference is that scientific theories are carefully thought through and openly debated without threats of damnation and such.
This is very true. Sadly I've been on the receiving end of many a threat and even told outright that if I didn't change my ways "God would turn is back on me"...........I welcome open debate / discussion on the subject.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Except for the fact that faith in God is by definition not falsifiable, and scientific theories are, and when they are they get discarded and a new theory is formed.

You're using the term "belief" when you really should be using two terms: "belief without proof" and "belief with measured observations". They aren't the same thing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not religious (side effect of years of catholic school) but I wish there were more thoughtful intelligent people out there defending religion. The debate isn't even fun with most people.
There's plenty of these people out there, but I suspect they tend not to speak up and make themselves known for fear of being associated with the religious nutjobs.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I think that's why we call it "faith".........;)
Well, yeah, but they aren't interchangeable terms.

Remember when you tried to tell me that I had faith because I got on an airplane? In some sense I have "faith" in the science of aerodynamics, but that's because I also have data that shows that the science works. Real faith would be getting on a plane without wings and a pilot.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Real faith would be getting on a plane without wings and a pilot.
I believe the appropriate reply is "Thou shall not tempt the Lord thy God."

edit: wait, wut? yeah that makes no sense under further review...but I'll leave it up.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Except for the fact that faith in God is by definition not falsifiable, and scientific theories are, and when they are they get discarded and a new theory is formed.

You're using the term "belief" when you really should be using two terms: "belief without proof" and "belief with measured observations". They aren't the same thing.
Valid point.

However faith can be the conclusion of thoughtful observation. This is the kind of faith I have respect for.

The difficult part of this debate is that you are correct, faith addresses the unquantifiable and unmeasurable. As we all know modern science has it's limits and I doubt all the questions we have about the universe will be satisfactorily answered in my life time. So either we must be content to not know or we can postulate our own answer (in many cases this answer is faith in God / religion).

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Valid point.

However faith can be the conclusion of thoughtful observation. This is the kind of faith I have respect for.

The difficult part of this debate is that you are correct, faith addresses the unquantifiable and unmeasurable. As we all know modern science has it's limits and I doubt all the questions we have about the universe will be satisfactorily answered in my life time. So either we must be content to not know or we can postulate our own answer (in many cases this answer is faith in God / religion).
Fine, but I just don't see how that's not the least likely possible scenario to a reasonable person.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Silver you are correct, I think that comparision I made had all sorts of holes in it.........how many years ago was that?

Valid point.

This is one of the best comments I've seen on this subject ever........much better said that I could have articulated.