Quantcast

bunnyhopping and jumping

Sep 26, 2005
Concord, CA
well, i can do both fine, but i'm tried of not bein able to bunny hop high or jump high/far. what can i do to bunny hop higher and what can i do to jump higher/farther? -thanx

Scarpa

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
Felton
Read the "Can't Bunnyhop" thread in the Beginner Forum. Near the end there's a link to a BMX Basics article about how to bunnyhop. Even though you already know how, reading the very thorough article will probably provide insight into what's holding you back.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
practice is the only thing that will help you get better. if your technique is correct, practice.

I like hopping UP stuff. some find hopping OVER things better.

to go up, find a curb or wall that gets taller gradually. pick a spot to hop up it and slowly move higher, gaining confidence.

or use beer cans, empty boxes, big gulp cups and hop those. they crush if you miss, no worrys..

riding with people that are better then you helps TONS.

most of all, have fun.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Pull up, once you're almost vertical throw your bike forward. It helps to stand to one side of your bike while standing still, then with your arms pulling up and pushing forward to get the motion of the arms. It's all in the arms. For jumping remember to bunnyhop and pick the bike up to you so you're tucked, it helps you get higher.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
If you do ride a lot and you're still not progressing, watch some videos and maybe do some weight training. As people have said, it's all about the arms, (and a bit about spring frim your legs), but mostly forearm, wrist and shoulder strength, or more acurately, muscle 'snap' - the ability to apply power suddenly over a small movement, especially in the wrists. The only way to develop this is practice.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Also try to practice jumping in place without a bike to perfect being a human spring... Strengthening shoulder muscles for the pull up part of the bunny hop through stuff like bouldering has helped me. The more agile you are off the bike, the more agile you will be on it I've found...