Quantcast

Bureau of Land Management wtf

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Been trying to access GLO maps for days and their entire website appears to be gone. Nothing in the news. How long has their website been shut down? Why? When's it going back up? WTF

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Dammit, I'd seen it was down yesterday and was about to go onto it again to try and book a campsite reservation...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
They're talking about moving back to DC now. That should mean they'll be straightened out in no time.

They are an important partner in an upcoming trail project we're working on. It's going to be awesome. Hopefully the localish BLM humans are functioning and can have meetings. The last trail NEPA we were involved with was 5 years in process.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I can live with an incompetent but somewhat genuine agency. The EPA on the other hand, wow. Ever want to get chewed up and spat out? Go play duck hunt with the EPA.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
somewhat genuine agency
eyesdarting.gif

Well, they're not the forest service at least! (that's a compliment......sort of)

don't look at what's about to happen in southern utah regarding dispersed camping on BLM land

"we tell native americans what they can do on the compounds we fenced them into" ain't exactly high merit

agreed on the EPA. As a state we're about to simultaneously implement EPA air quality standards by both cutting everyone's power due to fire danger and at the same time ban gas generators :rofl:. While also preventing forest managers from burning in the winter because AQI, while it jumps to 800+ every summer as fires literally chase people running from their burning inferno homes.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yeah I am speaking from my personal experience working with the local fingers. They are good peeps trying to navigate the system with us.

If you can't make camp wherever you find yourself then it's not the American West. Wtf. Are you talking about Moab or Zion or all of it?

Got a link?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Similar here. I've never worked at length with the BLM but they're now starting to adopt a lot of the rules the forest service has been operating under for years: I say similar because in my dealings with the USFS at the local level there are a lot of genuinely good people that work for these agencies...........however.....

They are still ruled by a DC office that gets the shit sued out of them by any and all rich fuck environmental or other group that amounts to little more than millionaire nimby-ism. See "travel management"

Regarding utah, the southwest Utah Wilderness Alliance has sued the BLM over all kinds of shit. Despite plenty of 'protected lands' their new focus is dispersed camping via the BLM adopting full on USFS style travel management. I've got personal examples of people at a district ranger level promise one thing, and then have that bite us in the ass at the regional or even national level.

Here's just an example (moab cuz everyone knows it) that's a direct result of the above group suing the BLM over not doing a full travel management analysis, a rule intended for the USFS.

That one gets coverage because moab but it's pretty much all BLM land in So Utah. Which if you've been there, you know...it's all of it.

But technically speaking when you drive out into the desert and camp in BFE, you're a motorized recreationist and need to be on a fully NEPA analyzed designated route. That's not really how the desert works.

I hate linking these guys because obvious advocacy interest but I think they're actually doing a good job on it. Click on some of the utah stuff. I can get you better if you want. But despite the 'route' designation stuff which will fuck everything from bike trails to camping spots, it doesn't matter a damn bit what the local BLM employees say. This is courts.

You'll see the alabama hills mentioned in that second link. It's the same thing.....BLM sued over "motorized" recreation leading to the loss of camping spots. That's one's here in CA and I know the area well. It's real.

And sorry about the tangent. Historical map depositories are rad.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Once we left San Francisco and headed for Hurricane. We rolled straight through and up onto Gooseberry. It was 3 or 4 AM and we thought we found a good camp site. I laid down on the ground with my sweater rolled up. Woke up at 11AM laying in the middle of the double track road. Apparently I had just parked in the middle of the road and passed out. The sun was beating down on me. Nobody hassled us. Who will run around looking for bums hiding in pullouts? They don't even mess with bums blocking the road.

In places like YNP I understand no dispersed camping, it's like Federal Nature Disneyland and requires that higher level of scrutiny. For everything else though, dispersed camping is what makes the west fucking amazing. If people had their shit together they'd pour out of the churches and go fight for dispersed camping.

The outdoor access rape of 2020 probably locked up alot of recreation. Here in Yakima we lost a 20 years old dirt jumps spot and a bunch of towny singletrack. All because everyone got out and tipped the scale from down low to out in the open.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Who will run around looking for bums hiding in pullouts? They don't even mess with bums blocking the road.
heh
read the first complete sentence on this page

correction: They don't currently mess with bums blocking the road

This is the reason.....

There's some stuff north of Hanksville that I'm going to be real bummed about. The state of utah is even threatening to sue the BLM if/when they fuck this up. (which they will)

people who get dirtjumps killed deserve the same in kind

and yeah I'm starting to feel a little the same about 'outdoor recreationists'

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
heh

This is the reason.....

people who get dirtjumps killed deserve the same in kind
That suwa site reaks of retired attorneys playing get off my lawn. Now that all these boomer audubon loving attorneys can't exercise their will in the court room their going after the outdoor recreation community.

I seen it with my own eyes.

They're going to use whatever legal strategy they can to restrict access to whatever they can. In the end, it's not even really about protecting the landscape. It's about finding and exerting legal leverage over the masses.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That suwa site reaks of retired attorneys playing get off my lawn. Now that all these boomer audubon loving attorneys can't exercise their will in the court room their going after the outdoor recreation community.

I seen it with my own eyes.

They're going to use whatever legal strategy they can to restrict access to whatever they can. In the end, it's not even really about protecting the landscape. It's about finding and exerting legal leverage over the masses.
correct

And the full force of the american gov't, which includes the BLM continues to roll over for them.

It's not just bored attorneys btw. Check out the executive compensation salaries (and the operating budget) for these fuckers.

Notice the change in both over the last few years...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It's some shit. Getting really tired of feeling like I'm in a Scooby Doo cartoon.

The microcosm of people that care about this stuff guarantees the struggle is real. By the time we're old enough to tip the scales we'll be doing it for the next generation. Dammit

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It's some shit. Getting really tired of feeling like I'm in a Scooby Doo cartoon.

The microcosm of people that care about this stuff guarantees the struggle is real. By the time we're old enough to tip the scales we'll be doing it for the next generation. Dammit
Still keep doing it.