Quantcast

Burly Hubs

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Burly Hubs Yo.
I'm looking for a wheelset for my FQ which I should have shortly, I hope, as it will be paid off soon.
I have to run 24" rims front and back and I'm thinking of trailpimps? Are those welded? What's the difference between aircorp and trailpimp rims?

Anyhow, on to hubs. I'm looking for a hub that I can run 10mm axle in the back rather than QR. I'm familiar with the CK funbolts and I'd love to build these wheels with CK ISO hubs, but I don't know if I'll have the $700 to spend on a wheelset. I love the CK hubs I have on my hollowpoint. Is there any other hub out there that I can run a 10mm axle on that has a similar engagement system as the King hubs. I'd like to go with something other than the usual pawl system. I think king uses something different if I'm correct. I'd love the Kings, believe me, the sound of the king hubs is da bling, plus they are durable. Anything that possesses these charachteristics at a reasonable price, unlike King hubs?
Knuckle

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
CK hubs are CK hubs - accept no substitutes :D

In all honesty, there isn't really another hub out there with the engagement of a CK hub for any reasonable price. Hadley makes very nice hubs and offers a 108pt engagement - faster than CK's but not as solid - and come in a 10mm bolt-on. They're right up there with CK as far as price goes, though.

I'm not sure there's another hub on the market that offers the engagement of those two. True Precision makes a Stealth hub but they've been "vaporware" - keep promising next year they'll be stronger, lighter blah blah blah but it never appears.

Hope makes a bolt-on axle if you're looking for good value but won't match the engagement of a CK.

I've already said my piece about Atom Lab rims :D

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
binary visions said:
CK hubs are CK hubs - accept no substitutes :D

In all honesty, there isn't really another hub out there with the engagement of a CK hub for any reasonable price. Hadley makes very nice hubs and offers a 108pt engagement - faster than CK's but not as solid - and come in a 10mm bolt-on. They're right up there with CK as far as price goes, though.

I'm not sure there's another hub on the market that offers the engagement of those two. True Precision makes a Stealth hub but they've been "vaporware" - keep promising next year they'll be stronger, lighter blah blah blah but it never appears.

Hope makes a bolt-on axle if you're looking for good value but won't match the engagement of a CK.

I've already said my piece about Atom Lab rims :D
Everybody hates those rims ha? I guess CK it is. Why go 2nd best when the frame is gonna cost $3500 right?
I forget what everyone said on the rim post. What was the recommendation for the 24" rims? The search function isn't working for me.

Knuckle

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sun makes some good rims. I've heard nothing but raving reviews about their new MTN-X rim, and most Sun rims come in 24" (not sure specifically about the MTN-X). If you go a little lighter, I'm a fan of Rhyno Lite XLs which come in 24". For a thoroughly indestructable rim, try a Mag 30.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
binary visions said:
Sun makes some good rims. I've heard nothing but raving reviews about their new MTN-X rim, and most Sun rims come in 24" (not sure specifically about the MTN-X). If you go a little lighter, I'm a fan of Rhyno Lite XLs which come in 24". For a thoroughly indestructable rim, try a Mag 30.

Yeah, Go Sun if you dont want to be able to put your tires on easily :)

My vote is for Mavic

I've got a set of Sun Rhynos and Mavic EX721

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
Yeah, Go Sun if you dont want to be able to put your tires on easily :)

My vote is for Mavic

I've got a set of Sun Rhynos and Mavic EX721
He needs 24" wheels. Mavic doesn't make 'em.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
i think there is a brand called true precision or something like that, which is supposed to be made up by some ex CK emlpoyees. their hubs were supposed to be equal to CK but slightly cheaper. dunno if they are still around tho, and i have no personal experience other than that i think they look really nice :)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
grimm said:
i think there is a brand called true precision or something like that, which is supposed to be made up by some ex CK emlpoyees. their hubs were supposed to be equal to CK but slightly cheaper. dunno if they are still around tho, and i have no personal experience other than that i think they look really nice :)
That's what I mentioned above. It uses a very interesting mechanism in that it has zero free movement in the hub. DW explained it once but I'm not sure I fully understood what he said, but regardless it gives you an infinite amount of engagement points. Plus, it's silent when freewheeling.

Cool hub, but they were boat anchors and there were lots of complaints of the hub self destructing when it got dirty or was put under really heavy loads. Like I said, they've been promising a lighter, stronger version for years now, and nothing has ever materialized.

If it ever does appear, or if another company decides to do one, I'd be first in line to try it out...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
knuck, save some pennies and go w/ a hope bulb set. great hubs. you can go through-axle (12mm), not sure about the 10mm axle but probably. hell, you don't need that crap anyway; are you really gonna tell me you feel the flex in a rear QR on that bike? c'mon.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
narlus said:
knuck, save some pennies and go w/ a hope bulb set. great hubs. you can go through-axle (12mm), not sure about the 10mm axle but probably. hell, you don't need that crap anyway; are you really gonna tell me you feel the flex in a rear QR on that bike? c'mon.
Welp, not that I would do it, but couldn't you just drill out the hole from 10mm to 12mm on the swingarm? Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I'd have to see the frame first before I'd decide to do that, plus, I'd have a machine shop do it. Anyhow, I don't know if there is difference in flex between qr and 10mm. I don't have the bike yet, but on other bikes I've had, I don't notice any flex from qr. I just thought it would be cool to have a through axle, but on the other hand, The fun bolts on the king hub aren't an axle anyhow are they? They are just 2 small bolts right that have a machined edge to fit in the dropout right?

Knuckle

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i doubt you could modify the rear to take a true thru-axle. you'd need pinch bolts to hold the axle tightly in place; if you drilled out the dropouts i don't think you'd get the clamping pressure needed.

as far as i know, the king fun bolts are just what you described, but i don't have any experience w/ them.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
binary visions said:
That's what I mentioned above. It uses a very interesting mechanism in that it has zero free movement in the hub. DW explained it once but I'm not sure I fully understood what he said, but regardless it gives you an infinite amount of engagement points. Plus, it's silent when freewheeling.

Cool hub, but they were boat anchors and there were lots of complaints of the hub self destructing when it got dirty or was put under really heavy loads. Like I said, they've been promising a lighter, stronger version for years now, and nothing has ever materialized.

If it ever does appear, or if another company decides to do one, I'd be first in line to try it out...
thats news to me, cheers