Quantcast

BurlySurly's first XC RACE!!!!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
As promised,

I did compete in my very first XC mountain bike race today, and man, what an eye opener.
I loaded up my bike and what i thought was all my gear this morning and headed out to the race. Fifteen minutes before race time, i realize that i forgot to bring my Jersey and shorts, so i end up racing in a pair of board shorts, no shirt, and a camel back. I raced "beginner" as thats what i am in this facet of the sport.
Only about 12 people were in my class, so i was feeling pretty good about it all. When they said "GO" i stomped off and quickly found myself with the lead pack. I couldnt seem to keep up with them too well on the fire roads, but in the woods, i was blazing....that is...for about the first 2 laps of the 3-mile course. When i finished my second lap, i was sitting in second place, but i was already drained, and only 25 minutes into the hour-long + 1 lap race. Laps 3 and 4 were utterly horrible. I was off my game in a big way, and to make matters worse, my camelback wasnt giving me anymore water. First one guy passed me, then two women passed me...i had fallen all the way back to fifth, and i was completely drained.
Then,out of nowhere, i just came alive on the 5th lap. started mashing the pedals and made my way back into fourth and started feeling really good, and not thirsty somehow. Then, i saw 2nd and 3rd place only about 400 yards ahead of me. Right after i started my 6th and final lap. I hammered as hard as i could, and managed to pass both of them in a sandy section. I could see their confidence was destroyed, and i knew i had them for good after that.
The dude who won the class was the biggest sandbagger ive ever seen. His lap times were good enough that he would have won the SPORT class with ease...but whatever.
In the end, i came in a healthy 2nd place. Then i got some cheeseburgers and a free massage.

Oh yeah....and i did it all on my Singlespeed.:)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good job, especially with the singlespeed. A lot has to be said for the psychological advantage of getting passed by some shirtless dude on a single speed.

Sounds like you pushed to hard at first and built up a bunch of lactic acid. I've seen way too many people burn themselves out in the first 20 minutes of a race. Usually you can have a better overall time by holding back a bit at the start and not going lactic at the beginning of the race.

A 3 mile lap? Seems awful short, was this some kind of short track race?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by BurlySurly

Oh yeah....and i did it all on my Singlespeed.:)
You seem like less of a girlie-man now that I've read this.

:D

Good job, stomping people on a SS is what it's all about.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Time to move up sport. :D :D :D

You forgot to post a link to the race... :confused: :confused: :confused:
It just happened today, and it was a pretty small, non-sanctioned thing here in hawaii, so im not sure when the results will get posted online. I'll post a link as soon as its up, and some pictures as soon as they're developed. My digi's dead.:dead:

My i-drive is almost built now, so i probably will ride Sport and get destroyed next time around...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Serial Midget
NO!!! You need more swagg bags before you move up... sometimes they give good crap.
Oh yeah, i nearly forgot.

I won a free night at the "Turtle Bay Hilton" (that place costs alot) a nice pic of myself and a T-shirt...good stuff.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by BurlySurly
I won a free night at the "Turtle Bay Hilton"

CA-CHING... now what lucky lady could turn down a night of BurlySurly at the Turtle Bay Hilton? :D :D :D

MudHunnies: Check your frequent flyer miles - first come, first served... :eek: :p :eek:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
LOL - good story. I can't say I've ever forgotten my jersey AND shorts. DAMN!

Nice race...good job dude!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've found that at most local races the beginners are about the same speed as the sport riders. Sandbaggers galore. Pretty much if you're a upper middle of the pack beginner, you will most likely be a upper middle of the pack sport... so ya might as well upgrade :D

Good job in your first race :thumb:

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Wait til you get to expert class and above the race gets even more faster... my guess is 2x times more faster (my observation here short course - mid course). 100% of times lapping (1-3 times) sports and begginer class.

Anyways Nice job hope you do more XC races and move up !