Quantcast

Burmese Cyclone

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
This is f*cking horrifying. The BBC is reporting 22,000 dead, a million homeless. How much do these people have to suffer? Dictatorship, war, the tsunami, now this. Words fail me.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
The country is begging for help, the world is offering help and the Burmese government is refusing these offers of help.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Ah. I misread: The Burmese govt is refusing aid from USA.

Burma's junta refused foreign aid after the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004, but this time the sheer scale of the slowly emerging disaster seems to have forced it to change its mind.

"We will welcome help . . . from other countries because our people are in difficulty," said Mr Win.

The generals have, however, turned down an offer from the US State Department of $250,000 (£125,000) in help and a disaster assistance team, suggesting that it remains selective about whom it accepts.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
We only offered $250k?? Doesn't that seem small considering the scale of this disaster?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
USA offerng $250,000 while the UK offer £5million?

Add the state of the US currency to that and its quite the slap in the face of Burma.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
were they able to save the burmese mountain tigers in time? hate to render pages 43-48 of the kama sutra for dummies guide obsolete

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
USA offerng $250,000 while the UK offer £5million?

Add the state of the US currency to that and its quite the slap in the face of Burma.
well burma obviously doesn't know how to negotiate. they should have pretended to be harboring a couple terrorists, maybe developing a couple wmd's on the side, and we would have sent a bunch of americans into the country to fix it for them!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
In better news, at least this gives Dubya the chance to say "junta" a bit. "Hoonta"....."hoooooooooontaaaaaaaaaaa". The Slorc Hunta. Aaaah I'll miss Dubya like I'd miss a facial tumour.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
where do you dispose of 22,000 people? the major areas are lowlands. either way, it'll give the million homeless something to do. can't have the devil finding work for idle hands.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The article I originally read really misrepresented what the US was saying in regards to conditions of aid. The US like pretty much other country/aid agency is wanting their disaster assessment teams on the ground to figure out where and how the aid needs to be distributed.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
$250k was the immediately available emergency cash at the embassy, not some low-ball disaster relief fund.

We're prepared to put a supercarrier off the coast to provide power, water desalinization, and food.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
As much as the Bush Hoooonta has dropped the ball in the past, you'd have to put the blame here squarely on the generals in Rangoon for every post cyclone death. About the only thing positive that might come out of this is that it might be the beginning of the end for these bastards.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
just read that Nargis (cyclone's name) is urdu for "daffodil".

now "daisy cutter" makes a little more sense.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
MSF is also complaining about administrative hassles and a few tons of medical equipment that were seized.

The US dropped $3mil in aid and gave another $13mil to the World Food Program. Those cheap, heartless American cowboys...