Quantcast

Burnaby, BC???

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Anyone live there or know anything about it more than what the City's website has to offer? I'm looking at moving up there to go to BCIT, but I really don't know much about the city, the weather, the riding(of course very important)... The school has a lot of really good programs, and the area seems pretty cool, but I'm primarily wondering whether the rain (overall about 80 inches) would get to me. I live in Socal now, so I know it wouldn't be quite the same, but that's about all I know. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you. Oh yeah, I'm planning a trip up there this winter, if I brought a DH bike would that be a good thing?

dhrace

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
bring your bike the north shore is about 20 minutes from bcit burnaby is like being in vancouver

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I just moved back to BC after a long absence. No kidding the shore is about 20 mins away - unless you hit traffic, then its 2:20 away.

Right there is SFU (small but fun) and TONS of other stuff. It rains most of the time, but it is worth it. The greater Vancouver area is one of the nicest places in the world to live.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
How bad is the rain though, that is a major concern for me? Annually it gets 5 times more rain/precip. than it does anywhere I have ever lived. I know the community is pretty active even with the rain, but concerned none the less. Also, I know its a stupid question, but is a DH bike too much, would I want something that I can both go up and down with?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
You can ride a DH bike on the shore. You just need the right gearing to ride some uphill and flat sections.

Vancouver has lots of crime.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
DH bike would be just fine. Alot of people ride DH bikes around here. You can always go fast on any trails once you are used to them (sorry no wide open fireroad here).

Burnaby is a great place to live.

Riding area:
- Burnaby mountain
- North Shore (20 min)
- Eagle ridge mountain (20 min)
- Woodlot (45min)
- Squamish (1hr)
- Whistler (2hrs)
- Vedder (1.5 hrs)

As for the rain, you'll get use to it. It is actually fun to ride in the rain. In the summer, we don't really get that much rain.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The thick trees help with keeping the trail dry from rain too. The trails are built for rain.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'm not worried about rain on the trail, I like that, its more just the rain the rest of the time that makes me a little nervous. And as far as the riding goes, I'm just not a big ladder bridge guy, DH type trails is what I like. Can't wait to take a little trip up there, hopefully I can bring a bike.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Its not rain, its liquid sunshine.
A DH bike is fine. The shore is not wide open riding, but you can get that at Whistler. The shore is a whole new realm of biking. I suck at ladder bridges, and I love it! (There is a lot more there than wooden structures - CBC is a sight to behold!)

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Are there any good shops in the area as well? I want to come out there during the worst part of the year to check it out and see if I could handle it.

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
I just moved away after living in BC for 12 years (I'll be back one day), and after growing up in the east I found the rain to be hard to adjust to at first. After awhile I realized I had to just get out in it or I'd be inside half the year. You just need to get the right gear and then it actually becomes fun. I've had some of my best rides in the pouring rain.

Good luck! You'll love the riding on the shore. I really miss it!

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I know, slushy riding is always fun. I'm more worried about the weather just being overcast all the time. There are a lot of people that get really depressed when the weather is just never not overcast. We'll see though.

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
I know, slushy riding is always fun. I'm more worried about the weather just being overcast all the time. There are a lot of people that get really depressed when the weather is just never not overcast. We'll see though.

Yes, you will have to adjust to the gloominess. I had a very hard time the first few years and it's the one thing I don't miss about BC. If it gets really bad you can get one of those special lights for your house. I hear they're pretty effective.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
It gets real gloomy where I live in the winter time too. The inversion moves in and the ski stays grey for Dec, Jan, Feb, and March. You wouldn't believe how peoples' attitudes change for the worse.

Battlecat

Chimp
Nov 6, 2006
North Vancouver
It rains alot here in the winter time, but that means lots of snow on the local mountains so you will be able to ski or snowboard over the winter season. You can also ride in the rain, it isnt going to kill you, it is just water, haha.

This summer here was amazing, probably the best we have ever had. It rained one day in July and 1 day in august. The summer here is unbeatable. Also whistler is about an hour and half - 2 hour drive from vancouver, they are doing alot of construction for the olympics so it is slower but that will speed up to about 1 hour or 1 hour 15 min within the next couple years.

Move here man, you will love it. I have been here my whole live and will never be able to leave.

Geoff