Quantcast

Burning fat

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Originally posted by MTBDOC
Hmm...the internet is an interesting place...someone makes a statement and it gets passed around => instant fact. I see this so much around bike racing. There is a thread elsewhere around here talking about bodybuilders getting huge, and how they are so much bigger than Ahnold was in his prime...the connection? People used to hang on every word he said, NOT because he was entertaining (which he is!), BUT because there was the irrational belief that he was the best, therefore he knew the most. Actually, he had good genes, a great work ethic, used enough juice, and had tons of charisma. That does NOT equate to knowledge.

I see it now from has-been pro cyclists who realize that they can earn a living selling their advice. Unfortunately, few know anything about physiology, or would know how to read a research paper. Now, they have some knowledge to impart, but unfortunately there is a ton of old mythology being passed along.

Heart rate is a good example. HR doesn't move a bicycle, power does. Training by HR has many problems, yet I see it continue to be advocated. Power measuring devices are out there, and cost a great deal less than the latest and greatest frame...or even fork, for that matter.

If my posting "wrong" offends someone, I am sorry. I didn't realize that this word was "unfriendly". But the truth of the matter is I consider it far more offensive for someone to post incorrect information they read in Bicycling magazine as though it is the truth! And, FWIW, the bike mags have even caught up with the added fat-burning by throwing in a bit of intensity. The metabolic effect is clear...also, there is more GH release when a bit of intensity is added.
WOW this guy sounds like he know his Fat ;) ,You`ll have to excuse the serial midget (it`s that small man complex ;) ) any who the truth is said ,the DOC has spoken ,and my self as an expet on all the time I have spent at a the Dr`s ,I think he sounds correct :eek:

goosemagoo

Chimp
May 21, 2002
Virginia Beach, VA
Originally posted by East Coast Mojo
... I've also noticed that if I drink a ton of water I don't seem to store tons of water in my body - an excellent way to drop another pound or two and do something healthy is drink lots of water all day - yeah, I know you will spend upwards of half the day in the loo, but it's still good to do - most of us don't get enough water day to day.
I read somewhere that you burn 250 calories warming 8 glasses of ICE water to body temp. Don't know if it's true but it sounds legit.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I'll jump in with some meaningless anecdotal information and opinions.:monkey:

I finally lost the last of my beergut over the last 3 months. I lost a lot more fat when I went from low intensity to high intensity, I went from about 1-1.5lb a week loss to 2lbs. Before, I was spending a lot of time watching my HR monitor and staying in the right zone while biking and on my cross trainer, because I thought that would give me better results, but it doesn't, despite all the advice I read online.

You may burn a lower percentage of calories from fat when you do high intensity workouts, but you're still going to burn more fat because you're burning more calories overall during high intensity. If you want to lose body fat, do high intensity workouts. It really made a huge difference for me. Now I look back and think of all the time I wasted trying to stay under 50%.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by fonseca
I'll jump in with some meaningless anecdotal information and opinions.:monkey:

I finally lost the last of my beergut over the last 3 months. I lost a lot more fat when I went from low intensity to high intensity, I went from about 1-1.5lb a week loss to 2lbs. Before, I was spending a lot of time watching my HR monitor and staying in the right zone while biking and on my cross trainer, because I thought that would give me better results, but it doesn't, despite all the advice I read online.

You may burn a lower percentage of calories from fat when you do high intensity workouts, but you're still going to burn more fat because you're burning more calories overall during high intensity. If you want to lose body fat, do high intensity workouts. It really made a huge difference for me. Now I look back and think of all the time I wasted trying to stay under 50%.
I have a similar experience. I am extremely unscientific about my training but I found riding harder nets better fat burning. I have always ridden alot. Several long rides several times a week. I never used to push myself that hard and weighed about 185 for the longest time. Last year I decided that going faster was fun and really started to push myself on the bike. I put in the same hours per week but ended up losing 35 lbs over 4 months. The intensity of my riding was the only thing that really changed.

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
Later on in the same book on weight control he says this

"On the bike, don't subscribe to the popular notion that low-intensity riding burns more fat. The fact is that going harder burns more total calorie and is better for weight loss." alos "Weight training helps to increase your metabloism so that you burn more calories even when you're not excercising. It also helps offset the tendancy to lose muscle mass along with fat."

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'll bring my my points back up... fun to quote yourself... I have always thought that the best fat burning range is 75 to 85 percent of your true HR MAX - not your couch potato max of 220 minus your age. If you already ride a lot add 5 to 10points to this and use it as your max.

Please also note that I suggested a slow and steady increase... if you already have an excellent cycling base but have not burned the fat you need to - then you must pick up the pace and push your body harder.

And finally... mountain biking is not the best method for burning fat - too many ups and downs. Your effort needs to be sustained without periods of rest. Running and road cycling will be more beneficial unless... you have a great monster to climb.

Originally posted by Serial Midget

1) A person who needs to burn fat is probably overweight, the extra weight places a lot of stress on the joints and connective tissues and often leads to injury. Injured persons are not likely to do any exercise at all.
2) A person who needs to burn fat is probably not used to high intensity exercise and will burnout much faster resulting in much shorter periods of exercise.
3) Training at 85% of max is a widely accepted technique – the majority of well trained athletes do not train at levels higher than 90% for more than 10 or 15% of their overall training. In general, 60% of time spent training is spent in the 80 to 85% range.
4) For the purposes of fat loss and improved cardiovascular capacity, a slow and steady increase in endurance related activity will have the desired result while avoiding injury and fatigue issues.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yes - you already had an excellent base and it should have been easy for you to pick up the pace and intensity. Much advise about weight loss is geared to those who have no cardio base.

Originally posted by Westy
I have a similar experience. I am extremely unscientific about my training but I found riding harder nets better fat burning. I have always ridden alot. Several long rides several times a week. I never used to push myself that hard and weighed about 185 for the longest time. Last year I decided that going faster was fun and really started to push myself on the bike. I put in the same hours per week but ended up losing 35 lbs over 4 months. The intensity of my riding was the only thing that really changed.

Apr 11, 2003
The Dark Side
I have learned a bunch about what my goals should include over this next season from reading this thread...I think we have all brought up some great points and a combination of all of them should produce some fantastic results:

:) Keep your heart rate up for at least 1 hour

:( Watch that diet and cut out unnecessary carbs, processed sugars and junk foods

;) Weight and resistance training can help increase that ol' metabolism

:rolleyes: Eat less, burn more

:thumb: Slow and steady increase in endurance related activity - once you have your base - will yield faster results than slow and steady by itself

:p Ride a lot and have fun! Smiling probably burns fat too! :D

:oink: A real heavy bike may increase fat burning potential

:cool: I feel lighter already! Thanks for the great advice, keep it coming! :D