Quantcast

Burnishing Tool Lending Library?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Curious if there is any way to rent/borrow a 38mm burnishing tool to do my Zeb while I install a new 180 airshaft. Anyone holding?
Yeah, I have one you can use…. but you have to come use it at my house and take a lap with me! I did a Zeb recently with the Ohlins bushing tool and my buddy loved the performance improvement. They were incredibly tight!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I would have come to get my bushings reemed by @buckoW , but alas no invite :(

:busted:

Would that work as an impromptu Buttercup?
Do you have a Zeb with buttercups? My Zeb has a weird dead mm of movement at full extension, I wonder if the buttercups are already worn out?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is there anything "bad" that could come about from burnishing bushing in a fork?

They couldn't be made too loose right?

Just for my own understanding, if bushings are tight, how come they don't self-clearance per se, when the uppers go through them repeatedly? Is it because the upper tubes have an imperceivable amount of flex to them?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Is there anything "bad" that could come about from burnishing bushing in a fork?

They couldn't be made too loose right?

Just for my own understanding, if bushings are tight, how come they don't self-clearance per se, when the uppers go through them repeatedly? Is it because the upper tubes have an imperceivable amount of flex to them?
Yes, it is possible to make them too loose, though unlikely provided you aren't a total hamfist. You are driving a slightly larger than stanchion sized piece of metal through the bushing to force it into a round, slightly larger than stanchion state. The end goal is enough clearance to allow a film of oil on the stanchion for lubrication without being loose enough to result in perceptible independent motion between the two.

FYI, according to Fox:
"Correct bushing tolerance is a diametric clearance of 0.0015”– 0.0090”."

And yes, they would eventually self clearance once enough cycles have been achieved to wear material from the stanchion, the bushing, or both to achieve a clearance fit. Though once that happens there is likely to be irreversible damage to those components.

Last edited: