• No, never was

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • obligatory other

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
to me, it certainly seems to make sense to investigate & prosecute, just like any other high crime & misdemeanor.

forgive the extremist rhetoric, it's just my snappy response to the "all-in" position by the bush-haters.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by $tinkle
to me, it certainly seems to make sense to investigate & prosecute, just like any other high crime & misdemeanor.
is there a statute of limitation involved?

charmin

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by LordOpie
is there a statute of limitation involved?
He wasn't AWOL (as someone, N8?, pointed out). And I agree (with someone, though I don't remember who), everything he has done more recently is much more pertinent than something he did (or did not do) 30 years ago (which wasn't a crime, even if he didn't show up for some drills).

It's a non-issue. I would think more important would be steroid usage in high school america (or at least, that's what I got out of the state of the union).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
For me the issue no longer has anything to do with the actual service requirements of the day. What bothers me most is the fact the those born to wealth and priveldge could get a way with it. In my eyes George Bush fulfilled his obligation to the draft with the absolute minimum of risk, his family connections protected him from harm.

What about the thousands of kids (with no means or connections) who were drafted and did their duty without question??? 6 weeks of basic training and stint at the front lines? These kids were forced to offer their lives in service to their country. At the time what was George Bush forced to sacrifice???

And then, 30 years later - George Bush places our nation in a position which forces many thousands into the same situation he so skillfully avoided. It may be old news but it's still a disgrace.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by Serial Midget
And then, 30 years later - George Bush places our nation in a position which forces many thousands into the same situation he so skillfully avoided. It may be old news but it's still a disgrace.
do you have a similar point of view WRT bill clinton & kosovo?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Well, at least Pres. Bush joined the military during Viet Nam and didn't shirk it like Bill Clinton.

I think it has been pretty well documented (lately) that he in fact showed up to drill and fulfilled his obligation.

I say its a non-issue at this point.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by charmin
He wasn't AWOL (as someone, N8?, pointed out). And I agree (with someone, though I don't remember who), everything he has done more recently is much more pertinent than something he did (or did not do) 30 years ago (which wasn't a crime, even if he didn't show up for some drills).

It's a non-issue. I would think more important would be steroid usage in high school america (or at least, that's what I got out of the state of the union).

word!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by ummbikes
I do. Clinton was odious and was impeached for lying. Bush is odious and should be inpeached for lying.
how do you think (not want) it would play out?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I do. Clinton was odious and was impeached for lying. Bush is odious and should be inpeached for lying.
You do know that you are assuming guilt. RIght?

It is still up for debate if he truely lied with intent to decieve, or was played by the intelegence given, the nations cry for revenge, etc.

Being wrong isn't the same as lying.

Not taken verbatem: :)

Mr CLinton, did you have sexual relations with Ms Lewinski?

1) Under oath: No.

2) Under oath again: Depends on your definition of ______ :confused:

3) Admits he had relations with Ms Lew.

:rolleyes:

Now there is part of me that says it was his personal business. If I asked him on the street and he said, NO fine. If you are asked in a court of law....you fess up. Just my take. (but this is way off topic unless I relate this back to Bush)

IF Bush lied to the public....does it carry the same crime as lieing in a court of law? :confused: If so I am in trouble. :eek:

Clinton was impeached but never left office........:think: To little to late?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
how do you think (not want) it would play out?
I don't think it will come down to it unless he is re-elected. These matters take time. He may lose the impeachment trial and like Clinton will be censured.

Thats my guess.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Vietnam War Illuminates, Shadows Kerry's Campaign
The La Times | Tue Feb 17, 2004 | John M. Glionna

WASHINGTON — Amid the solemn atmosphere of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the place known simply as The Wall, Dewey Brown reaches up to touch one name among tens of thousands engraved in the polished black granite.

On April 22, 1971, the day before he threw away his combat ribbons, Kerry testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, delivering a powerful message that Brinkley says convinced many Americans their country was waging an immoral war.

Kerry's testimony was the lead news story on all three networks that evening, making him one of the faces Americans attached to the antiwar movement.

Dressed in his combat fatigues and ribbons, he told Congress that U.S. soldiers had "raped, cut off ears, cut off heads … randomly shot at civilians … in a fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan." He later acknowledged that he did not witness the crimes himself but had heard about them from others.

The speech prompted the Nixon administration to open a file on Kerry, who was placed under FBI (news - web sites) surveillance. It also brought him lasting enmity among some Vietnam veterans who say Kerry broad-brushed them as a group of maladjusted, dysfunctional losers.

Paul Galanti learned of Kerry's speech while held captive inside North Vietnam's infamous "Hanoi Hilton" prison. The Navy pilot had been shot down in June 1966 and spent nearly seven years as a prisoner of war.

During torture sessions, he said, his captors cited the antiwar speeches as "an example of why we should cross over to [their] side."

"The Viet Cong didn't think they had to win the war on the battlefield," Galanti said, "because thanks to these protesters they were going to win it on the streets of San Francisco and Washington."

He says Kerry broke a covenant among servicemen never to make public criticisms that might jeopardize those still in battle or in the hands of the enemy.

Because he did, Galanti said, "John Kerry was a traitor to the men he served with."

Now retired and living in Richmond, Va., Galanti, 64, refuses to cool his ire toward Kerry.

"I don't plan to set it aside. I don't know anyone who does," he said. "The Vietnam memorial has thousands of additional names due to John Kerry and others like him."

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
It is illegal to wage war for fake reasons. :D Good points as always Rhino.
And who did that? You are assuming and you know what happens when we assume.......

:D

Wage war for fake reason? Another assumption. ;)

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
And who did that? You are assuming and you know what happens when we assume.......

:D

Wage war for fake reason? Another assumption. ;)
Rhino, there are countless, credible examples that the Bush administration was rather, creative, in it's use of intel.

Not an assumption my dear friend, it is a fact.:p

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Rhino, there are countless, credible examples that the Bush administration was rather, creative, in it's use of intel.

Not an assumption my dear friend, it is a fact.:p
Hey watch who your calling "fact".....oh wait. Never mind. :D

Be careful what is considered fact. It is meary an aggreed upon assumption by some people as of now. Countless and credible....I know you don't want to post internet quotes (no, I don't want you to waste the time:) ) right now. Much of what I have seen and heard are a bunch of Monday night quarterbacks sifting for errors and finding info to "prove" an out right lie was given.

Now going from, finding info "maybe" made available to the president that he ignored and instead lying, is an assumption. Being wrong in what they beleived, is unfortunate, but is not lieing. That is the state of what many have described Bush's great lie as I see it. I might be blind to the truth, but I can see blood lust clouding others judgement.

"Fact" in this day and age is used to loosely.

Rhino

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Personally I don't think it's worth pursuing. So many people avoided the war (Clinton was brought up, Dean is there too), and I don't hold it against them. Yes, Bush used his influence and priviledge to do it without having to resort to blatant illegalities, but everyone was using whatever means they had at their disposal to avoid the draft, so why should I penalize Bush for being blessed with better means?

The only time it becomes a problem for me is when Bush claims to have done military service, i.e. carrier landings, etc. At that point it chaffs my ass that he would try to exploit military service that we all know was nothing but a cop-out. Avoid the war, fine. Just don't try to claim you did otherwise.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by N8
Vietnam War Illuminates, Shadows Kerry's Campaign
The La Times | Tue Feb 17, 2004 | John M. Glionna

WASHINGTON — Amid the solemn atmosphere of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the place known simply as The Wall, Dewey Brown reaches up to touch one name among tens of thousands engraved in the polished black granite.
What a load of BS. To suggest the US lost in Vietnam because of Kerry is ludicrous. But of course, it is also partisan.

As for Bush, let the AWOL thing go, it's not relevant to his administration. Judge him on what has happened under his presidency (that he could control).

do you have a similar point of view WRT bill clinton & kosovo?
IMO, GW's Nat/Grd record is a non-issue. In the context of the post you are replying to, there is a world of difference to sending troops to Viet Nam and sending them to Kosovo. While both were cases where our presidents sent in troops, Viet Nam was a war carried out mostly by drafted troops. Kosovo, Iraq, or any recent conflict is fought by volunteer troops. This is the difference that counts here. In a volunteer army, the prospective recruit knows going in, they may be placed in harm's way. And this may happen on the capricious decision process of a single person, namely the president. Drafted troops knew this also, but they did not volunteer.

And regarding the animosity the one vet in the article has for Kerry. Seems to me his hatred is misplaced. The man should be pissed at the idiot politicians who put him and his buds in harm's way in a war we had no business executing in the first place.

I don't particularily like John Kerry, but I think his anti-war stance was ballsy. And if anything he did shortened the war by one day, it was the right thing to do.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by fluff
What a load of BS. To suggest the US lost in Vietnam because of Kerry is ludicrous. But of course, it is also partisan.
concur.
i'm curious: do you believe kerry gave aide & comfort to the enemy upon his return to the states?

As for Bush, let the AWOL thing go, it's not relevant to his administration. Judge him on what has happened under his presidency (that he could control).
nah, that makes too much sense.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I'd say that the AWOL issue has been proven to be false. Even the media has dropped it. Its interesting that they haven't dug into the Kerry/Intern tryst with the same vigor.

charmin

Monkey
Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by N8
I'd say that the AWOL issue has been proven to be false. Even the media has dropped it. Its interesting that they haven't dug into the Kerry/Intern tryst with the same vigor.
It's because it WAS FROM THE DRUDGE REPORT! He makes things up.

And, you get laughed at if you say your source was the drudge report. People laugh at you. Makes you be a little leary in quoting it (but, I note your courage -- you will not be dissuaded by such a little thing like ridicule....)

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by charmin
It's because it WAS FROM THE DRUDGE REPORT! He makes things up.

And, you get laughed at if you say your source was the drudge report. People laugh at you. Makes you be a little leary in quoting it (but, I note your courage -- you will not be dissuaded by such a little thing like ridicule....)
List one news item Drudge "made up."

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Dem need to be careful with all this Bush AWOL hub-bub.

There is an active push to open the Sec of the Navy's files on canidate Kerry. The following lays out the one retired Navy man's concerns:

(1) Kerry was in-country less than four months and collected, a Bronze Star, a Silver Star and three purple hearts. I never heard of anybody with any outfit I worked with (including SEAL One, the Sea Wolves, Riverines and the River Patrol Force) collecting that much hardware so fast, and for such pedestrian actions. The Swifts did a commendable job. But that duty wasn't the worst you could draw. They operated only along the coast and in the major rivers (Bassac and Mekong). The rough stuff in the hot areas was mainly handled by the smaller, faster PBRs.

(2) Three Purple Hearts but no limp. All injuries so minor that no time lost from duty. Amazing luck. Or he was putting himself in for medals every time he bumped his head on the wheel house hatch? Combat on the boats was almost always at close range. You didn't have minor wounds. At least not often. Not three times in a row. Then he used the three purple hearts to request a trip home eight months before the end of his tour. Fishy.

(3) The details of the event for which he was given the Silver Star make no sense at all. Supposedly, a B-40 was fired at the boat and missed. Charlie jumps up with the launcher in his hand, the bow gunner knocks him down with the twin .50, Kerry beaches the boat, jumps off, shoots Charlie, and retrieves the launcher. If true, he did everything wrong.

- - -(a)Standard procedure when you took rocket fire was to put your stern to the action and go balls to the wall. A B-40 has the ballistic integrity of a frisbie after about 25 yards, so you put 50 yards or so between you and the beach and begin raking it with your .50's.

- - -(b)Did you ever see anybody get knocked down with a .50 caliber round and get up? The guy was dead or dying. The rocket launcher was empty. There was no reason to go after him (except if you knew he was no danger to you just flopping around in the dust during his last few seconds on earth, and you wanted some derring do in your after-action report). And we didn't shoot wounded people. We had rules against that, too.

- - -(c)Kerry got off the boat. This was a major breach of standing procedures. Nobody on a boat crew ever got off a boat in a hot area. EVER! The reason was simple. If you had somebody on the beach your boat was defenseless. It coudn't run and it couldn' t return fire. It was stupid and it put his crew in danger. He should have been relieved and reprimanded. I never heard of any boat crewman ever leaving a boat during or after a firefight.

Something is fishy.

Here we have a JFK wannabe (the guy [WWII Adm] Halsey wanted to court martial for carelessly losing his boat and getting a couple people killed by running across the bow of a Jap destroyer) who is hardly in Vietnam long enough to get good tan, collects medals faster than Audie Murphy in a job where lots of medals weren't common, gets sent home eight months early, requests separation from active duty a few months after that so he can run for Congress, finds out war heros don't sell well in Massachsetts in 1970 so reinvents himself as Jane Fonda, throws his ribbons in the dirt with the cameras running to jump start his political career, gets Stillborn Pell to invite him to address Congress and Bobby Kennedy's speechwriter to do the heavy lifting, winds up in the Senate himself a few years later, votes against every major defense bill, says the CIA is irrelevant after the Wall came down, votes against the Gulf War, a big mistake since that turned out well, decides not to make the same mistake twice.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ARE YOU QUESTIONING HIS PATRIOTISM?!?!?!?!?!?

or his judgment? and stop with this "he threw his medals over the wall" crap. They weren't his medals! he still has his collecting dust somewhere, only to be trotted out in the first debate w/ dubya.

know a guy who watched many a purple heart given out for folks running from fire, dive in a foxhole, only to bump their head on the way in.

injury received during combat :rolleyes:

audie murphy rocked.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

know a guy who watched many a purple heart given out for folks running from fire, dive in a foxhole, only to bump their head on the way in.

injury received during combat :rolleyes:

audie murphy rocked.
My uncle was a Sherman tank commander in WWII. He got two Purple Hearts during the Liberation of France and the Battle of the Bulge. The first was for getting hit in the head by a tree branch in the Ardennes Forest. The other for slicing open his thumb on a can of C-rations on D-Day+3.

I worked with an Air Force Major who got a Bronze Star in Afganistan for overseeing some enlisted guys who built an outhouse. Lame, especially when you consider he and his team spent less than 48 hours on the ground in country then returned to their base near Saudi.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
concur.
i'm curious: do you believe kerry gave aide & comfort to the enemy upon his return to the states?
Good question.

If you think that giving less than 100% support to the US policy in Vietnam was giving aid and comfort to the enemy then the answer has to be yes.

If you think that protesting against a war that he considered to be unjust is not giving aid & comfort and that freedom of speech is important then he did nothing to be ashamed of and history has shown that he was probably correct (IMO).

He may also have helped save the lives of some young US servicemen who might otherwise have died had the conflict continued longer than it did.

I don't see it as anything he needs to be ashamed of.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by N8
My uncle was a Sherman tank commander in WWII. He got two Purple Hearts during the Liberation of France and the Battle of the Bulge. The first was for getting hit in the head by a tree branch in the Ardennes Forest. The other for slicing open his thumb on a can of C-rations on D-Day+3.

I worked with an Air Force Major who got a Bronze Star in Afganistan for overseeing some enlisted guys who built an outhouse. Lame, especially when you consider he and his team spent less than 48 hours on the ground in country then returned to their base near Saudi.
So now you're undermining your own arguments?

Oh, I forgot, it was a quote, not your own argument.

I should know better.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Good question.

If you think that giving less than 100% support to the US policy in Vietnam was giving aid and comfort to the enemy then the answer has to be yes.

If you think that protesting against a war that he considered to be unjust is not giving aid & comfort and that freedom of speech is important then he did nothing to be ashamed of and history has shown that he was probably correct (IMO).

He may also have helped save the lives of some young US servicemen who might otherwise have died had the conflict continued longer than it did.

I don't see it as anything he needs to be ashamed of.
i can see a strong case being made for aide & comfort in the following way:

testimony given before senate foreign relations committee - apr 22, 1971
Dressed in his combat fatigues and ribbons, [Kerry] told Congress that U.S. soldiers had "raped, cut off ears, cut off heads . . . randomly shot at civilians . . . in a fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan." He later acknowledged that he did not witness the crimes himself but had heard about them from others. . . .

Paul Galanti learned of Kerry's speech while held captive inside North Vietnam's infamous "Hanoi Hilton" prison. The Navy pilot had been shot down in June 1966 and spent nearly seven years as a prisoner of war.

During torture sessions, he said, his captors cited the antiwar speeches as "an example of why we should cross over to [their] side."

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by N8

and until this morning, i never questioned max clelend's hero status or war record, until this fell into my lap from a friend we'll call "ann"
Jill Zuckman in Boston Globe Sunday magazine, Aug 3, 1997

Finally, the battle at Khe Sanh was over. Cleland, 25 years old, and two members of his team were now ordered to set up a radio relay station at the division assembly area, 15 miles away. The three gathered antennas, radios and a generator and made the 15-minute helicopter trip east. After unloading the equipment, Cleland climbed back into the helicopter for the ride back. But at the last minute, he decided to stay and have a beer with some friends. As the helicopter was lifting off, he shouted to the pilot that he was staying behind and jumped several feet to the ground.

Cleland hunched over to avoid the whirring blades and ran. Turning to face the helicopter, he caught sight of a grenade on the ground where the chopper had perched. It must be mine, he thought, moving toward it. He reached for it with his right arm just as it exploded, slamming him back and irreparably altering his plans for a bright, shining future.
kerry really chaps my hide when he tries to get street credit for service with numerous accomodations in vietnam & lumping himself in with the likes of cleland, who only now appears to be just a victim of his own judgment, not enemy combat.

i'm not anti-military, just anti-propaganda

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
i can see a strong case being made for aide & comfort in the following way:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dressed in his combat fatigues and ribbons, [Kerry] told Congress that U.S. soldiers had "raped, cut off ears, cut off heads . . . randomly shot at civilians . . . in a fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan." He later acknowledged that he did not witness the crimes himself but had heard about them from others. . . .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if those things were true what was so wrong about him testifying so to congress? Does the US government want its troops to do such things? Should the US congress not be told what is happening, and who released the information to the Vietnamese, Kerry, congress or the press corps?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

And if those things were true what was so wrong about him testifying so to congress? Does the US government want its troops to do such things? Should the US congress not be told what is happening, and who released the information to the Vietnamese, Kerry, congress or the press corps?
i don't believe that hearsay should result in burden of proof being shifted to those still in country who were still spilling blood. if he wanted to truly take a compelling argument to congress, he should have left 3rd person anecdotal evidence out, like any other good hearing allows.

i find it troubling that kerry is a hero & a patriot for testifying in the manner he did, but our president's (& your PM's) actions are called into question for a just & noble cause.

reckon we'll have to let history vet/mete this out.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver

More importantly, if anyone believed him, why didn't they ask the next logical question... WHY are these guys doing such horrible things?!

I saw a movie, Full Metal Jacket-type, and they were doing horrible things. The movie was in the early 80s? My father easily explained that Vietnam was an insanely different situation than anyone had been in before and I shouldn't judge them without knowing more.

The leaders at the time were at fault... not people like Kerry. Tho Jane Fonda is still an evil woman.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
i don't believe that hearsay should result in burden of proof being shifted to those still in country who were still spilling blood. if he wanted to truly take a compelling argument to congress, he should have left 3rd person anecdotal evidence out, like any other good hearing allows.

i find it troubling that kerry is a hero & a patriot for testifying in the manner he did, but our president's (& your PM's) actions are called into question for a just & noble cause.

reckon we'll have to let history vet/mete this out.
I would say a lot depends on how reliable the source was. After all most of we hear about events around the globe we do not witness yet we make judgements regarding the value of the source.

If Kerry heard direct from people he tusted who claimed to have witnessed these thigns first-hand that is fairly reliable. If he hear rumour it is utterly unreliable.

We may be getting a story here from a source that is trying to discredit Kerry and hence will make things sound as bad as possible...

From what I have read of Vietnam I think it is well within the realms of possibility that such things happened. If they did, congress needed to know.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BUSH'S GUARD 'ACCUSER' ADMITS FAULTY MEMORY
The New York Post | 15 Feb 04 | DEBORAH ORIN

February 15, 2004 -- Serious doubts have been raised about the stories of two key Alabama National Guard figures who questioned whether President Bush showed up for weekend duty there in the early 1970s. Retired Brig. Gen. William Turnipseed, the 187th's Tactical Reconnaissance Group's former commander, recanted his statement that he couldn't remember if Bush reported for duty, now saying his memory is faulty because he's in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's disease.

And The Boston Globe, which took the lead in challenging Bush's Guard service, reported serious doubts about the account given by one of Bush's prime accusers.

Turnipseed reversed gear after retired Lt. Col. John "Bill" Calhoun went public to say he remembered Bush well, and that in fact it was Turnipseed, then a colonel, who introduced Bush to him.

"Col. Turnipseed brought [Bush] in when he first came to me. I just know that he saw him there," Calhoun told The Post. Turnipseed said he regards Calhoun as trustworthy and believes he'd remember it correctly.

Calhoun's ex-wife, Patsy Burks, said she remembers her husband talking about Bush back in the 1970s when he switched from the Texas Air National Guard to Alabama, where he was working on a political campaign for family friend, Winton "Red" Blount.

Another Alabama Guardsman, Joe LeFevers, told The Birmingham News earlier this week that he remembers seeing Bush on the Alabama base.

Retired Lt. Col. Bill Burkett had claimed he heard Bush aides talking about having his Guard records scrubbed and saw it happen.

But the Globe reported Thursday that Burkett's corroborating witness, former Chief Warrant Officer George O. Conn, disputes virtually every point in Burkett's account.