Quantcast

Bush Bails on Trek Fuel 98

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I used to have them and I hooked trees all the time. I guess with the smaller lower profile ones it wouldn't be as bad, but mine were like the ones on his bike.

Trek Fuel 98s don't come with discs...its a purebred XC racing bike. I don't know why the hell he has one...He'd do better with a Liquid if he wants a Trek. Perhaps we should create a petition to get the pres on clipless eh?

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
SkaredShtles said:
:think: Do people actually do that with b-ends? Hook trees and impale, that is........? That would kinda suck. :D

-S.S.-
You betcha :D

Have you ever hit something and had your front wheel stop dead and you lurch foward onto the bars??

As for the bar ends and trees....it was a few small saplings that were my downfall. They were small enough to actually be hooked and whip me off my bike :p Without the bar ends, if you hit the tree, you just keep riding along on your merry way.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
yea I thought the 1:20 18 mile trip was a little fast for someone that takes "steeps enough to give veterans pause"

last time I did a tech 18 mile it took like 5 hours or something...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
MtnBikerNJ said:
yea I thought the 1:20 18 mile trip was a little fast for someone that takes "steeps enough to give veterans pause"

Obviously you're no George Bush...

:oink:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
RhinofromWA said:
:rolleyes: :D IF they are hooking trees they had a crash coming to begine with and not having bar ends would not save them. ;)
Hmmmm..... that's what I was thinking. :D I've ridden countless thousands of trail over the last 14 years and never hooked a tree. Maybe I've just been lucky.
<snip>
Remember Power Straps? :D
Well sure. I'm having lunch this week with a buddy who *still* has 'em on his Proflex.......

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
MtnBikerNJ said:

Dude. 3.6 mph?? I hope it was at 12,000 feet at least....... and all uphill. :D

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Velocity Girl said:
You betcha :D

Have you ever hit something and had your front wheel stop dead and you lurch foward onto the bars??
Well, sure. But I can't figure out how my barends would cause me any damage in that scenario. I'd for sure take a stem to the crotchal area first and fall over sideways in abject misery. :D

Maybe I stay too far back on my bike to get stabbed by barends.

-S.S.-

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
SkaredShtles said:
Hmmmm..... that's what I was thinking. :D I've ridden countless thousands of trail over the last 14 years and never hooked a tree. Maybe I've just been lucky.
<snip>

Well sure. I'm having lunch this week with a buddy who *still* has 'em on his Proflex.......

-S.S.-

Trails here in Louisiana have trees everywhere. I caught my bar end on a sapling while cranking about 15 mph and the result was me having a nasty concussion.

:dead:

On the other hand, bar ends have saved me numerous crushed fingers but I don't ride with them anymore.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
:thumb:

Mad Presidential Props to The Man!!!

He probably fell while posing so the photographer could line up the shot just as the wind blew the flag into the perfect position. The pres needs to get a cabinate level photoshoper.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
SkaredShtles said:
Dude. 3.6 mph?? I hope it was at 12,000 feet at least....... and all uphill. :D

-S.S.-
ok maybe it wasn't 5 hours. but it was probably 4 hours - super tech. lots of walking for me (tech uphill climbs). plus lunch, a break or 2...

i dunno. maybe i'm talking out of my a$$. i dn't really pay attention to how long or fast i'm going (no computer)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
MtnBikerNJ said:
ok maybe it wasn't 5 hours. but it was probably 4 hours - super tech.<snip>
maybe i'm talking out of my a$$. i dn't really pay attention to how long or fast i'm going (no computer)
:thumb: I like the way you smack-talk, man. You need to come out to CO to ride. We're a whole pack of smack-talkers here. :D

-S.S.-

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Velocity Girl said:
, if you hit the tree, you just keep riding along on your merry way.
VG,

You have never hit a tree of any size and kept "riding along your merry way" :D :p

This girl rides hard and crashes harder. :)

Da Horn

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
On May 22, he lost traction on a dirt road, scraping his chin, upper lip, nose, right hand and both knees. The next day, a Secret Service agent riding behind him slammed onto the ground at high speed on a paved section, breaking his collarbone and three ribs.
Sucks for the Secret Service types.... Ironic that this is probably the most injured he got while protecting the president from the terrorists.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
The frame is adorned with top-shelf components that Bush professes to know little about, including a motorcycle-style front and rear suspension that soaks up big bumps.
Haha, the SID sure is a motolike fork if Ive ever seen one.... :blah: :rolleyes:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
President Bush is a huge biking fan:

President George W. Bush congratulates Lance Armstrong on his sixth Tour de France win during a phone call from the Bush Ranch in Crawford, Texas, Sunday, July 25, 2004.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
I wonder how someone could get to ride with him..??? I'd much rather do that than be the Chairman of some business committee like they are always bugging me to be. Maybe I need to give my GOP rep a call.
you have a bike?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Sad truth is Bush is a monkey.
Trained to ride a bike and smile at the camera.

When he thinks he has done / said something clever he always get's this stupid smug smile on his face. SEE PIC POSTED ABOVE.
AAAHHHH

make him go away!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
N8 said:

President George W. Bush congratulates Lance Armstrong on his sixth Tour de France win during a phone call from the Bush Ranch in Crawford, Texas, Sunday, July 25, 2004.
Oh well...I think it's pretty damn cool the president took time to call Lance and congratulate him...cycling doesn't get much attention here in the states and Lance winning the tour for the 6th time is phenomenal and he deserves the accolade. Especially if the president was on vacation himself...it might be a PR thing or whatever, and he might be a complete boob, but it was darn thoughtful of him to do.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:

I think that one was put through the spin cycle. From Velonews

The president, had not been known to follow the Tour, even though Armstrong gave him a bike and a yellow leader's jersey in August 2001.
I would say the pres owes Lance a congratulatory call or two.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
I would say the pres owes Lance a congratulatory call or two.
Owes..??? Typical.

I think the President has a lot more things to occupy his mind than watching the Tour every year. I say, ask Lance what he thinks. He's met Pres Bush and talked bikes with him. I'm sure he's not feeling 'owed.'

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Owes..??? Typical.

I think the President has a lot more things to occupy his mind than watching the Tour every year. I say, ask Lance what he thinks. He's met Pres Bush and talked bikes with him. I'm sure he's not feeling 'owed.'
Your right. Bush is a very busy man, that ranch in Crawford does not just run itself.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I'm sure he just sits around every second he is there. Being president is a 24 hour a day job.

Wasn't it Clinton who had to answer why he was flying his family all over the world for vacations? And letting his daughter make policy decisions on Africa for her College thesis?

I Are Baboon said:
Yes I've done it. Yes it sucks. No I do not use bar ends anymore. :D
That's where IRB got his pierced nose... :D
Velocity Girl said:
...Without the bar ends, if you hit the tree, you just keep riding along on your merry way.
Or break a finger or two or take out your master cylinder or... Can't imagine bar ends making things any better, though. :p

J

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
RhinofromWA said:
VG,

You have never hit a tree of any size and kept "riding along your merry way" :D :p

Da Horn
Well I've shoulder checked a few and hit my bars on a few....but they weren't exactly huge trees....but after screaming out a few cuss words at zig-zaggin wildly over the trail I at least prevented a big crash. No broken bones, no broken bike parts....in my book that's still "riding along my merry way" ;) (Hehe...I guess that's a perfect case of how warped our perceptions of crashes are as regular moutain bikers!)

As for the barends SkaredShtles....had a girlfriend of mine break a rib that way. Not 100% sure, but if anyone other than me could manage something like that it would be this gal ;)

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
RhinofromWA said:
VG,

Da Horn
and the girls who have a Da Horn encounter? They typically ride hard and then they don't walk too good for a few days...if at all :devil:

(how ya been bro? Hope all is good)