Quantcast

Bush calls Iran 'threat to world peace'

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Earlier Wednesday, the president's top security aide said Sunday's confrontation between the three U.S. warships and five Iranian boats almost triggered an exchange of gunfire -- and if it happens again there may be a battle.

"It's the kind of incident that can provoke exchange of fire," Hadley said. "And we think the Iranians need to be on notice that they are fishing in troubled waters here."

"This is not -- this is a provocative act, not a smart thing to do, and they're going to have to take responsibility for the consequences if they do it again," Hadley said.

Bush on Tuesday also had called the confrontation "a provocative act" on Iran's part.

"It's a dangerous situation, and they should not have done it, pure and simple," Bush said then during a news conference in the White House Rose Garden. "I don't know what their thinking was."
For those that know military stuff... what are the logistic consequences of a war with Iran? Would we essentially move ALL troops out of Iraq and into Iran? Iraq seems to require an unusually large number of troops to hold, correct?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Just my thoughts, but we cannot support a 3 front conflict (remember Afghanistan?) with current manning levels and scheduled rotations nor with the current level of equiptment (waaay too much overhaul and maintenance has been defered due to depolyment)

If anything, this will most likely be a naval/air battle consisting of alot of what you saw in the opening days of Gulf War I. 5th Fleet is capable of defending/keeping open the Straits of Hormuz and long range bombing is easily accomplished from either carrier based aircraft or from our land bases in the region.

Just my thoughts

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just my thoughts, but we cannot support a 3 front conflict (remember Afghanistan?) with current manning levels and scheduled rotations nor with the current level of equiptment (waaay too much overhaul and maintenance has been defered due to depolyment)

If anything, this will most likely be a naval/air battle consisting of alot of what you saw in the opening days of Gulf War I. 5th Fleet is capable of defending/keeping open the Straits of Hormuz and long range bombing is easily accomplished from either carrier based aircraft or from our land bases in the region.

Just my thoughts
We could easily handle a 3 front war. We just need a draft and tax increases.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Yeah, and the tax increase will probably happen but the draft, not so much. We can't do it currently..not to say the Shrub won't try to go out with a literal "bang". F'n Cheney has been itchin' for a fight with them for years now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
takes one to know one...
:stupid:

As stated, there is no way in hell the current military could support 3 fronts. As it stands, we can't support the existing 2 past this year.

Iran knows this, as does just about every other country. Even if we were to "cut and run" from one of the existing fronts, there is little hope of a solid movement of troops and supporting hardware into Iran in a timely manner.

That being said, I think GW might be dumb enough to try.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I see Bush called it a provocative act. I wonder if he'd consider Iranian warhips in international waters that close to the US coast to be more or less provocative?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I see Bush called it a provocative act. I wonder if he'd consider Iranian warhips in international waters that close to the US coast to be more or less provocative?
Good point, but in this case, approaching a warship that close, no matter the country, broadcasting harmful intentions and then depositing items into the path of those same warships, is in fact an act of provocation.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think we can fight a war on three fronts, but it would have to be done without promises of 12 months home to troops, and would require a huge tax hike across the board and probably a draft. It would be a sh*tstorm for sure.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I think we can fight a war on three fronts, but it would have to be done without promises of 12 months home to troops, and would require a huge tax hike across the board and probably a draft. It would be a sh*tstorm for sure.
Again, you're right, but a draft ain't happening and we all know it. Also, our equiptment is sh!t right now due to lack of scheduled maintenance.

Saw a quick item on the news last night that said something about the mullahs growing discord with I'madinnerjacket and his policies and the direction he's taking Iran.
Best case is to capitlalize on regime change through diplomacy and covert methods.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Again, you're right, but a draft ain't happening and we all know it. Also, our equiptment is sh!t right now due to lack of scheduled maintenance.

Saw a quick item on the news last night that said something about the mullahs growing discord with I'madinnerjacket and his policies and the direction he's taking Iran.
Best case is to capitlalize on regime change through diplomacy and covert methods.
...or just give Israel the green light to hand them their ass. They've been meaning to for years now.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
...or just give Israel the green light to hand them their ass. They've been meaning to for years now.
They have the capacity to launch limited air raids over Iran, I wouldn't call it "handing them their ass" especially when the Iranian response would be to fire a **** load of ballistic missiles back...........:poster_oops:

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
We'll beat them up a little, throw them back to the dark ages like we did iraq for a few years, and Jeb Bush will finish the job in 2016.

No draft needed. By 2016 Iraq will be a pakistan.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I have it on good authority* that George has absolutely no plans for invading Iran.

Oh, he's still gonna invade, he just has no plans. :p

*Jay Leno

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Good point, but in this case, approaching a warship that close, no matter the country, broadcasting harmful intentions and then depositing items into the path of those same warships, is in fact an act of provocation.
No argument there, I was simply providing a different perspective. No doubt the US Navy/Coastguard would do a lot more than that, were the positions reversed.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Interesting thing I noted when they played the video of it this evening on the news.

The USN radio call were typical CB/VHF crackle and the Iranian (in spite of being from from a speedboat with a big motor at full noise the voice was crystal clear and dare I say it quite Borat'esqe in delivery.

In the original video released the speed boats were BEHIND the last ship in the convoy. And as one person noted on another website, The boats pictured were the sort used by local smugglers which are a common sight for convoys transiting the Strait of Hormuz. Could the white packages seen being thrown overboard (not on video) have been contraband tossed by a surprised overreacting smuggler?

And final point to make, sorry but I just don't take anything released by US authorities at face value.... They've lied all to often to trust in any way on any issue like this.
More verifyable proof is needed for me, till then I'm going to assume it's just another lie.
So for now I'll be filing this under Tonkin ver2.0. :twitch:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Interesting thing I noted when they played the video of it this evening on the news.

The USN radio call were typical CB/VHF crackle and the Iranian (in spite of being from from a speedboat with a big motor at full noise the voice was crystal clear and dare I say it quite Borat'esqe in delivery.

In the original video released the speed boats were BEHIND the last ship in the convoy. And as one person noted on another website, The boats pictured were the sort used by local smugglers which are a common sight for convoys transiting the Strait of Hormuz. Could the white packages seen being thrown overboard (not on video) have been contraband tossed by a surprised overreacting smuggler?

And final point to make, sorry but I just don't take anything released by US authorities at face value.... They've lied all to often to trust in any way on any issue like this.
More verifyable proof is needed for me, till then I'm going to assume it's just another lie.

Obviously, I wasn't there but I'll give you some thoughts on what you saw. I was an Naval aircrewman on maritime patrol aircraft flying counter narcotics missions in Eastern Pacific and Carribean. Hundreds of encounters with drug speedboats and the interaction with Navy and Coast Guard vessels. Obviously, the speedboats are very fast and very manueverable so a particular shot angle on tape probably won't offer a true representation of where they were at any given time. Could have been drugs they were dumping, but in my experience, drug smugglers don't usually fly national flags off their boats.

As for communications, remember the strait of hormuz is very narrow and it is possible, possible, the broadcast of the Iranians were from a land based location that was monitoring the location. The Navy has to broadcast warnings, from ship or air, to potential hostile ships on open maritime VHF channels. Those can be picked up from some pretty good distance.

All in all, the battle group commander on sight has the authority to defend the vessels and could have shot them out of the water the minute they saw them drop anything in the water after they had been warned to steer clear and the Navy had identified itself (as if the big gray ships with guns isn't identity enough)

But all that being said, I understand how you feel about any information the government puts out...

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA

I agree, It's sickening to me that I can't trust really anything being said or done by our own gov. It's funny how a cituation like this can create so many possibilities of what is true or false. Why would we even make something like this up? But yet it very well could be all a hoax based on previous bulls**t that has been said and done in the past.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
:rolleyes:Bush should just go into Iran & jack all the oil so our gas prices would be cheap at the pump here,he would be a hero! lol

Really though.Public sheeple don't get top secret info. Uh,maybe Iran is a threat ?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
About the draft....

You could raise the taxes and initiate a draft but who are you going to be drafting? People that don't want the war in the first place and really don't want to go out there? Sounds to me like they would be unmotivated (with every right to be) from the get-go.