Quantcast

Bush, Congress and the Democrats Approval Rating circling the bowl

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9137364/

Rising gas prices and ongoing bloodshed in Iraq continue to take their toll on President Bush, whose standing with the public has sunk to an all-time low, according to the latest Washington Post-ABC News poll.

The survey found Bush's job approval rating at 45 percent, down seven points since January and the lowest ever recorded for the president in Post-ABC surveys. Fifty-three percent disapproved of the job Bush is doing.
The Republican led Congress is not doing any better.

Dissatisfaction is not limited to the president. Fewer than four in 10 Americans -- 37 percent -- approve of the way the Republican-controlled Congress is doing its job, the lowest rating for lawmakers in nearly eight years.
BUT more importantly and someone in the Democratic party better get the stick out

The survey also provided bad news for Democratic leaders, who are judged as offering Bush only tepid opposition. Slightly more than half of those surveyed expressed dissatisfaction with congressional Democrats for not opposing Bush more aggressively.

Self-identified Democrats were particularly impatient. More than three in four said congressional Democrats have not gone far enough to oppose Bush on Iraq or on administration policies in general.

"Somebody needs to speak up," said Michelle Burgess, 41, a home health aide in St. Louis. "Enough is enough. I don't understand why we're over there in Iraq or what he's doing on other issues. There are too many lives being lost."

Independents were similarly dissatisfied with Democratic leaders for not challenging the president over the war and other issues, with six in 10 saying Democrats have been too meek.
I think the phrase leadership vaccum is appropriate. And the worse thing is that unlike folks blaming Katrina on Bush, its going to give him the opportunity to act "presidential". A release of strategic oil and a few visits and photo ops... and he gains 5 to 7 points back like that.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
You are pretty much right there. It's rare one sees a substantial rebuttal or criticism being attributed to a democratic senator recently. McCain and Bono seem to have had more influence on Bush's actions and you know how much that is.

I can't see a 5 to 7 point rise in popularity, though.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Changleen said:
You are pretty much right there. It's rare one sees a substantial rebuttal or criticism being attributed to a democratic senator recently. McCain and Bono seem to have had more influence on Bush's actions and you know how much that is.

I can't see a 5 to 7 point rise in popularity, though.
In the past single digit jumps of that range are typical after a natural disaster that the president gets involved in some fashion. THOUGH I don't have the actual data to back that up.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
genpowell71 said:
And please dont preach to me about impeachment. I doubt that congresds has enough xxx to do that.
xxx =

a) Balls
b) Control of the media
c) Morals
d) Financial motivation
e) ability to ignore their own hypocracy

??

What's your anser, Keith?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9143849/

And just after Labor Day, hearings will start in the Judiciary Committee on the nomination of Judge John G. Roberts, Jr. Expect the Democrats to drop their caution and go after him with all they’ve got. They’re coming to the conclusion that they have nothing to lose, and they are being pushed in that combative direction by a grassroots base furious at the congressional party for not having taken a tougher line against the president months if not years ago.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
valve bouncer said:
You guys need parliament question time. I'd love to see Bush do that. Comedy gold I'm sure.
bush has granted the least number of press conferences in the history of televised presidents. and then when he does hold them, he tries stocking the pond w/ fake press

i would love to see this question time instituted. aren't our leaders accountable???

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Prime Minister's question time in the UK is a good, even great thing to be sure. If fact I think most democracies have similar processes.