Quantcast

Bushing Install Rockshox BoXXer Race 2005??

2tirefire

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
I recently purchased my first DH bike, so please excuse my newbishness.

I just got off the phone with SRAM technical support, as I am going to be rebuilding my BoXXer with all new seals, and an HC2 rebound system. I got all of the part #'s that I need to purchase, but the lady said, I should have it professionally serviced due to the fact that the bushing kit is extremely hard to install. I am very mechanically inclined and have all the tools needed, but I would like some advice if this is over my head.

Thanks in advance, and happy riding!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
if you have the bushing replacement tools go for it. I don't know why you would have those tools unless you are a shop.

2tirefire

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
Apologies if I may have caused a bit of confusion. I have all the basic tools outlined in the general service guide for seals and oil changing, but I do not have any type of special bushing tool, so if that tool is needed to do this then it will have to be serviced apparently.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I wouldn't bother replacing the bushings, not sure who recommended it, but usually the bushings are good for the life of the fork.

Replacing the bushings is a difficult task, and personally I wouldn't trust a shop to do it - or anyone without prior experience. Generally by the time you need to actually replace bushings, you'll be getting new lowers or a new fork.

Unless there is something explicitly wrong with your bushings, your fork should feel like new after you put new seals in, and pack the wiper/seal area with grease (plus fresh oil everywhere that needs it).

Hope that helps, and saves you some money and hassle.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Just curious, is the slight flop felt in a lot of Boxxers at the top of the travel caused by having little bushing overlap when the fork isn't compressed?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Not something I've noticed very often, I'd probably chalk it up to variations in manufacturing tolerances. There isn't much bushing overlap at topout so it's probably a fair assumption, but the two boxxers on my bike at the moment don't have any slop - most I've felt seem to be on the tight side with bushings rather than the other way around.

Anyway, if it's just a tiny amount - the oil should take up the space when they are in action (like fox forks) and your fork probably feels quite nice thanks to not being one of those erring on too tight. Contrary to popular opinion, those ones don't usually wear-in or come good unless you manually size the bushings or get new lowers.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Cool. I've owned 2 Boxxer Teams, and both have had some slop (feels sort of like a loose headset when you grab the brake and rock the bars front-to-back), but it's never given me problems on the trail. Cheers!

2tirefire

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
Hellu Udi. Thank you very much for all of your information! I would like to service this fork myself but have all kinds of questions.

Basically I have a thread going on that you can view below pretty much trying to figure out what kind of bloody fork I have. I can't figure it out, but if you could help me out that would be great I am literally dying here. The biggest problem I have is that the white little plastic allen screw on the bottom of the rebound adjustment seems to be stripped from the previous owner, so I am at a loss if I can fix that.

Also if this does turn out to be a 2005 Boxxer WC fork with a Race lower then how do I check if the compression side is working correctly?

Then I have Bicyclist who has helped me out immensely telling me to upgrade to Motion Control, lost on that too/

I plan on changing the oil and all the seals and all that good stuff, and leave the bushings. Any help you can provide I would be a great favor

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219026

Thank you so much sir.

2tirefire

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
Apologies in advance for 2 like threads, but they kind of merged together as one question flowed into another as I thought I had this figured out.