Quantcast

Business idea

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Hey guys. I've kinda been thinking about this for a while, just thought I'd throw it past some other riders to see what kind of response I would get.

So, I'm fairly mechanically inclined and work on my bikes myself. Aside from doing fork rebuilds, I've built 2 bikes and take care of all my maintenance. So I've been thinking about offering mobile bike reapair. Or maybe people can bring their bikes to me. Either way, I don't have a shop or any overhead, so I can keep the prices down. Suppose this would create any demand? Now I support local shops, but I was just in one the other day and the guy didn't know what 20mm thru-axle was :bonk: I'm a bit of an entrepreneurial person, like to be generating money for msyelf. Just thought I'd throw this out there, get a little feedback. I know most of you guys probably work on your bikes to yourselves to save money, but I know there are tons of people that don't. Any thoughts? I'm open to some ideas, etc. but don't flame me for trying to shoot down LBS's, that's not my intent. I was thinking of the mobile idea as some people might be too busy/lazy to transport a bike to their local shop. Give me some feedback!

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I started a mobile business a few months ago. If you are a good mechanic and have a good following I say do it.

So far I've learned :

Advantages
You make your own hours to an extent.
Low overhead

Disadvantages
Depending on your county/state you can't do business directly out of your house. (Customers can't come to your house)
Difficult to find distributors. In the beginning I didn't have insurance so not many distributors were down with it. I finally made enough to pay the annual premium on liability insurance and life is much easier.
Overhead is cheap but initial cost of tools & basic parts is up there.

I've worked in bike shops for several years. Having a strong client base before I started an official business helped tons. Word of mouth is now spreading it so I have many more customers in only a couple months. I enjoy it due to being able to travel and do pit work at races. I'm not roped into working every Saturday but there are many days that I'm traveling tons and working 10-14 hour days.

Gimme a shout if you want to talk more.

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
Thanks! I appreciate the info. I've been in business for myself for years, owned a lawn maintenance business, branched out into landscaping, then jumped into managing an excavation and heavy construction business with my dad. Now that I'm in college, I'm pulling 30 hour weeks in a restaurant. While the money is good, I really don't enjoy it. I'm not trying to support myself 100% on the bike repair, just a little money on the side at this point and see where it goes. I figured folks coming to my place wouldn't work, thanks for pointing that out. Besides, if they pack up their bike, they're probably likely to go to a shop anyway. I would like to get into a shop to get some experience, but with my school schedule I doubt it's feasible and they probably won't pay me the $11 an hour I'm making at the restaurant. So right now having the restaurant job would help me get some tools if I decide to go through with this, as well as support me if times are rough on repair work. I gotta run off to work at this point, but I will send you a PM when I get off work. Thanks again!

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
It's a great idea, but as in this type of business, you will not become rich if even break even and will have no health insurance. With this type of sport you need health insurance.
An Idea for you is to get a part time job at UPS the pay is good and you will have the best health insurance you can find anywhere and you can still repair bikes on the side.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
2 weeks ago you posted questions about installing a fork. I would recommend not trying to start a biz quite yet. may get a job in a shop for some wrench experience. bikes are pretty easy so it won't take long. There are good mechanics at road only shops that might not know what a 20mm is. but if you want to cater to the DH/FR world, then find a shop that does too.

good luck.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Dirt Dart supports a family on his biz, but he's not a kid either, and really knows what he's doing. He did the most impressive 30 second diagnostic on my Kona that I've ever seen.

gg

Apr 23, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Geargrrl
Back around 1978-79 I lived in Sedona Az and there was a guy who lived there and called himself the Bike Doctor he supported just himself and was able to open his own shop.

If you can help somebody out and they want to reward you for it then do it. If you explain to people that you dont charge 35-50 hr like a shop does MOST people are willing to forgive not having a bussiness lic and ins. I'm a carpenter and I get ALOT of work from people who are tired of hiring Joe Contractor and Manuel Laborz shows up instead of J.C.

Here's what the Bike Doc would do. He'd get a call and go inspect/advise and then bro' the people on their first fix. He'd make a little money and he built a HUGE client base.

You fix a flat, loosen a seat post.... you become a ROCKSTAR!!!!!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
You might want to check out Pedal Dynamics for the local scene. I think Dave lurks here from time to time. They've been doing the mobile thing for several years now around the Seattle area.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
there is a guy in bellingham who does that. he parks near one entrance of galbraith on weekends and is on call.

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
2 weeks ago you posted questions about installing a fork.
On my defense, I simply was inplying the best way to dial my ride as I don't have a headset cup press and getting the fork on the bike and setup was a multi-step setup. I see what you're sayin though. I don't know it all, nor do I claim to, but I am a damn fast learner.

As I said, I'm still in college, so I'm on my parent's health policy as long as I'm in school. I'm just trying to do this deal on the side for cash, something fed's can't track. Eventually it would be cool to have a shop and stuff, but I'll probably get back into excavation when I'm out of college, that's where the money is. My whole point of this thread was to see if there was any local demand for this type of work, granted I learned what I needed to learn to make it work. Appreciate the input guys and galls, keep 'em coming.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
It's a great idea, but as in this type of business, you will not become rich if even break even and will have no health insurance. With this type of sport you need health insurance.
An Idea for you is to get a part time job at UPS the pay is good and you will have the best health insurance you can find anywhere and you can still repair bikes on the side.

How much do they pay you for a recruiting bonus??
:bonk:

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
How much do they pay you for a recruiting bonus??
:bonk:
Do you want a job? :brows:

Want I'm saying is anyone who rides should have health insurance.

UPS gives the part time employees the same health insurance as they do the full time employees. If you want no insurance go apply at Walmart.