Quantcast

but 29ers can't jump....

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Hey. Apparently I'm a computer dumbass and cannot find the right codecs to get Alex's vids to play.

Any help, monkeys?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i also changed my site to where the video come in its own window.

alex

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
Why wouldn't they?

I've seen dudes bunnyhop a road bike so why not a 29er??
the long chainstays. try bunnyhopping on a 24" bike; it's so much easier.

there are people (like trials freaks) who can bunnyhop just about anything, but i'm not talking about the 'xc' bunnyhop where people just yank up w/ their clipless pedals. can you bunnyhop the 29" w/ flats?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
narlus said:

there are people (like trials freaks) who can bunnyhop just about anything, but i'm not talking about the 'xc' bunnyhop where people just yank up w/ their clipless pedals. can you bunnyhop the 29" w/ flats?

yeah, i can like 2'. i'll take a pic if you want.

i can do 30'' on my dj bike

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If anything I think it'd be pretty easy because w/ a short bike you've gotta worry about flipping so you can't yerk-a-der as hard.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
narlus said:

I can barely even bunnyhop a BMX bike with flats. I've got no skillz yo. You've seen me ride (and maybe heard me crash so you know). I was just pointing out that for someone with skillz it wouldn't be out of the question to bunnyhop a 29er.

Also, not all 29ers have long chainstays. My Karate Monkey has 17" chainstays - not that long at all. Many others I've seen are around 17.5 or 17.25 or so. I think some of the FS bikes need longer chainstays to accommodate the travel - but for hardtails - long chainstays are not necessary (although some people desire them for the type of terrain they might normally and regularly ride). The new Intense Spider 29er has really really long chainstays - like 18.5 inches I think on their latest prototype - to me that would be too long for east coast conditions.

I think Alex's DH bike also has a short chainstay length - I think he had to do a little modification to his Inedible to get it to work as a matter of fact.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
16.25 cs

i had to do some cutting to clear the seatube at full bottom out.

alex

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the tighter distance between tire and bb yoke/seat tube can minimize CS length, but comes at the cost of mud clearance, which is a fair consideration in our neck of the woods.

i guess it's all about personal preference...i rode a V10 which felt like a leaden beast (probably due both to the CS length and suspension/shock design)...i much prefer the livelier feel of my Giant.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
narlus said:

I'm not at the 2 foot mark like BCD there, but on the trail I've leaped over some fair sized logs while on flats. I don't have any photos, so you'll just have to trust me I can clear 15 inches without too much of a problem on a rigid Karate Monkey. It helps to lower the saddle.

That is a sweet shot of the 29er on the road gaps style jump. I have yet to get the courage up to really let my 29er fly.

The Ito

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
narlus said:
but can they bunnyhop?

any bike can launch w/ the right lip.
I have no problem bunnyhopping on my fs 29er with platforms or flats up to about knee high or just over. granted I can get much higher on my bmxer. . . . . . .

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well, he did use the 'jap-slap' technique (front wheel hits the object, and you get more up this way). still pretty good, but it's not like he cleared the thing w/o touching it.

RAD!!!

Chimp
May 8, 2006
narlus said:

there are plenty of 29ers with chainstays just as short as on standard mountain bikes, can you say karate monkey