Quantcast

butchering and smoking pig meat

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
hi all,

anyone out there have advice on turning the meat from a 200lb boar hog into edible meat?

some of the locals have given me ideas, but I thought I'd see if any of you ridemonkeys have done this.

so far this is the plan:
1. defrost the three leg roasts in the freezer
2. cut all meat off in strips
3. marinate for a day (local guy said he always used a teriyaki derived marinade)
4. smoke the meat
5. see if it's edible (local guy said he would fry it after smoking it)

i already ruined the backstraps (the cut they call the tenderloin down at the local supermarket) so i'm hoping for some better luck with this next round of experiments.

aloha,

pigboy

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
low and slow.

low heat so the meat doesnt dry out before it gets cooked all the way.

oh, and some nazi is probably going to tell you to put this in the food forum. don't worry, this is for them :nuts: ;)

pigboy

pnj said:
low and slow.

low heat so the meat doesnt dry out before it gets cooked all the way.

oh, and some nazi is probably going to tell you to put this in the food forum. don't worry, this is for them :nuts: ;)

but the lounge is where everyone talks about off topic stuff. so the nazis can kiss my rump roast.

pigboy

pigboy

COmtbiker12 said:
When i went to hawaii some of the locals were smoking it in a pit, that's how it was at the luau we went to. It was pretty damn good.
if I ever manage to get a head shot i might give this a try. usually i'm aiming for and hitting the center of mass and some part of the pig is unusable because of the resulting bullet path through the animal (.30-06 does a lot of penetration and damage as it goes about its work).

-pigboy