Quantcast

Butler TN?

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
I may be in the Butler, TN area for a few days in March or April. Is there any good riding near there? DH or All mountain XC (no straight up climbing - to outta shape :D )

Thanks!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i know i'll catch some grief for saying this.

but the road riding in all the area that map encompasses is incredible.

when i was going to the night nascar races in bristol, i'd bring my road bike, get to the track about 7am. and jump on the bike and ride over all those roads for about 10hrs.

i've also heard that there's some good trails up above the damascus area. maybe someone could help you out with where.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh, ok, I used to live in Johnson City.

You can ride at the ETSU campus up there. They have a short DH track, a short FR track, somewhat of a 4X track and about 5 miles of XC all on campus. Its real easy to find. Other than that, Buffalo mountain is good for XC.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
BurlyShirley said:
Oh, ok, I used to live in Johnson City.

You can ride at the ETSU campus up there. They have a short DH track, a short FR track, somewhat of a 4X track and about 5 miles of XC all on campus. Its real easy to find. Other than that, Buffalo mountain is good for XC.
Cool - thanks! What is the short DH track like? Multiple trails? Shuttleable or do you have to push back to the top?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
BUCKET said:
Cool - thanks! What is the short DH track like? Multiple trails? Shuttleable or do you have to push back to the top?
Well, the DH track (I havent seen it in like a year) is short...like 1:45 seconds. We built a 5' drop up there (not sure it still exists) and theres a couple good rock gardens, logs, etc. Nothing spectacular but decent to train on. I wouldnt spend a day on it, but with the trial riding and the 4x/slalom course you could make a day out of it.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Oh, and its shuttleable if you hop this one fence, but you may as well just push back up, or ride up the road. Its not very far.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
BurlyShirley said:
Oh, and its shuttleable if you hop this one fence, but you may as well just push back up, or ride up the road. Its not very far.
Thanks again. I'm coming from VA for a business thing, and I was wondering what bike to bring. I think I'll try the Buffalo Mountain XC.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
BUCKET said:
Thanks again. I'm coming from VA for a business thing, and I was wondering what bike to bring. I think I'll try the Buffalo Mountain XC.
Yeah, its good MTBR has a review and directions to it. Good luck.

All I know about Butler is that the Hammerskins have a headquarters there, I used to see some of them in the Johnson City walmart.... creepy guys. So I would suggest no road riding, I dont think I would want to get caught in spandex on some backroad with those guys hangin around.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Actually there are really good trails in Hampton but there are lots of creek crossings (22 on frog level). The trail is very scenic and fairly flat for about five miles out and back. Everything else in that area is up and down.
Directions: stop at Hampton Bicycle on Hwy 321 in Hampton and Brian can give you detailed directions. You must have booties unless its over 45-50 degrees.

ETSU is a great bet and you would really like Warriors Path in Kingsport. It is close to I-81.

In Damascus there are lots of trails in Bear Creek. There are so many trails that you better have a map B/C you could get lost like I did last time and spend hours before you see civilization. Hampton can be that way if you venture too far.

Buffalo will have lots of climbing, and if the weather is nice you will have to deal with lots of ATV traffic this time of year. If you can find Muddy Hollow it is a great high speed DH trail that is shuttleable. Do not rip Blue trail unless you are fully prepared to go head to head with a four wheeler!

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
caboverpete said:
All I know about Butler is that the Hammerskins have a headquarters there, I used to see some of them in the Johnson City walmart.... creepy guys. So I would suggest no road riding, I dont think I would want to get caught in spandex on some backroad with those guys hangin around.
Who or what are the Hammerskins? Is this some Deliverence sh1t? I don't have a road bike, nor do I wear spandex - so I should be safe, right?

Damascus is a good option, I do a lot of riding there and the trails are some of the best in the area. You can buy a map at one of the bike shops there that will have all the local trails on it and they are marked fairly well. I'm not sure how long it takes to get from Butler to Damascus but if you have a whole day to ride it would be worth it.