Quantcast

@@@Butt crack of Friderp @@@

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm kinda sad, but I have to admit the Canfield is better at everything than my old RFX.

Gonna strip the RFX of all its best parts, put them on the hardtail and the Canfield, and rebuild it as a loaner bike for guest riders with my other leftovers. I do like to initiate people.

I'm torn about upping the Canfield to 27.5" wheels and an older Xfusion singlecrown (w/ Avalanche cart?) instead of the 26"with my old 888. It's an odd duck that takes both wheel sizes by design. Have found the bike as build to be fast a hell downhill, but wouldn't mind a tad better climbing. That said, the 888 with flat crowns probably has a lower ac-height than the Xfusion.

I might go to the [27.5" capable] singlecrown while keeping 26" wheels as a compromise that doesn't require me to rebuild a wheelset and get new tires... Then if I like that, upgrade the wheels later? [/internal monologue]

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm kinda sad, but I have to admit the Canfield is better at everything than my old RFX.

Gonna strip the RFX of all its best parts, put them on the hardtail and the Canfield, and rebuild it as a loaner bike for guest riders with my other leftovers. I do like to initiate people.

I'm torn about upping the Canfield to 27.5" wheels and an older Xfusion singlecrown (w/ Avalanche cart?) instead of the 26"with my old 888. It's an odd duck that takes both wheel sizes by design. Have found the bike as build to be fast a hell downhill, but wouldn't mind a tad better climbing. That said, the 888 with flat crowns probably has a lower ac-height than the Xfusion.

I might go to the [27.5" capable] singlecrown while keeping 26" wheels as a compromise that doesn't require me to rebuild a wheelset and get new tires... Then if I like that, upgrade the wheels later? [/internal monologue]
Wouldn't a 27.5 wheel clear the 888 just fine? The damper in the Vengeance was not too bad, and the cartridge is relatively easy to service and bleed, too - as long as you have the front axle for it. :D
I found the climb switch on the CCDBACS quite helpful on that frame, heck I did the Maah Daah Hey trail on that bike and blew the shock when I hit an unexpected bump with the CS on. :D

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Kudos to KS warranty/customer service. Sent post back early last week, was received by them last Friday. Return is delivered to my house today, whether it's a rebuild or new post.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wouldn't a 27.5 wheel clear the 888 just fine?
Hey hey I found the axle. I move like a million times; shit gets mixed up when the movers are pitching things around.

I think the 27.5" would clear the 888 if I lowered the stanchions in the crowns, but the idea was to make it more of a trailbike and less of a pocket DH bike. I have near-new 26"wheels I built when I put it together. Seems a shame to take them apart already and spend more on other rims and spokes. Though I have other options there, too...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Kudos to KS warranty/customer service. Sent post back early last week, was received by them last Friday. Return is delivered to my house today, whether it's a rebuild or new post.
I had a different experience with them, I sent in a post last June that I bought in May, they accused me of sending them in a two year old, worn post. And yes, I had receipts from QBP. They were incredibly unpleasant. I even sent them a box of oreos and a mini-vodka bottle.
guess the bribe backfired, I like to take care of the warranty folks.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
His house hunting shenanigans has hindered his ability to ride more than my 3yo and 6mo have hindered mine.

Looking for a house AND having a kid?......just sell the bikes now while the used bike market is hot.
Good call, he's going to need that extra cash anyway so he can make an offer $150k over asking and actually stand a chance of getting a house.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
His house hunting shenanigans has hindered his ability to ride more than my 3yo and 6mo have hindered mine.

Looking for a house AND having a kid?......just sell the bikes now while the used bike market is hot.
At this point we'd have a better chance hunting bigfoot than a house.

The little voice in the back of my head says we should save our cash and move again. I can't afford this shit.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well gol-dangit all to heck, I just wrassled a Maxxis tire onto a ridiculously stubborn Bontrager rim for my neighbor...and frickity-freakin’ put it on backwards.
At least the logo placement was perfect.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not a bad day. By luck Irider found a NOS cheap replacement frame for me so I have plenty of time to get some warranty from GT when they have time and stock.

Got my son tricked into riding his bike and had some good hours in the garden moving stuff and cleaning up the old rhododendron bed on a mostly sunny day.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Typically Friday. BUSY AS FACK. A coworker got let go this morning. Sucks for him, but kind of saw it coming.

Hoping for a ride shortly. I think it'll be sloppy as heck.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm hoping my symptoms are minor enough that i get to ride this weekend. we shall see. next weekend is opening weekend for DH. still need to:

lace a wheel
mount new tires and cushcore
press in frame bearings
bleed brakes
clean pads & rotors
clean and reinstall drivetrain
new front hub bearings (if they arrive in time)
maybe swap handlebars? flat bars are passe, right?
new grips

also considering tapping my DH fork for EDC