Quantcast

Butterfield Podiums in Comeback Race

Oct 20, 2009
<p>After five years out of the sport to pursue her Olympic dream as a cyclist, and just 5 months after having her first child, Nikki Butterfield has returned to her origins as a triathlete with a podium finish in Germany at the Darmstadt 5i50, the first Ironman branded non-drafting Olympic distance event in Europe.</p><p>
</p><p>
After much coaxing by her husband Tyler, also a professional athlete, Nikki raced her first professional triathlon since August 2005. The time-trial style event consisted of a 1500 meter swim, a 40 kilometer bike, and 10 kilometer run. Nikki completed the event in 2.05.09 .</p><p>
</p><p>
The eventual winner, Radka Vodickova from Czechoslovakia, was by far the fastest swimmer with a swim time almost 3 minutes faster than any other woman in the race. The remainder of the field were within 30 seconds of each other after the swim.</p><p>
</p><p>
Nikki was dominant on the bike riding an average speed of 23.4 miles an hour, a reflection of the years she spent exclusively cycling.</p><p>
</p><p>
Off the bike Nikki had a 1.30 lead over Vodickova and held on to the lead until 2 kilometers to go in the race, but was not able to hold on for the win.</p><p>
</p><p>
Nikki said “being on the podium in my first race back is well beyond my expectations, it is a big confidence booster for me, I was worried I would be way out the back after so many years away from the sport”.</p><p>
</p><p>
Nikki will race again in Klagenfurt, Austria this weekend in another 5i50 event.</p>

More...