Quantcast

Buttermilk Trail Closure - Richmond, VA

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Attention:

As of 8:00pm this evening James River Park has ordered the section of Buttermilk Heights from the 43rd St Trail Junction west to the next drop in from Riverside Drive closed. There has been a huge land slide that has taken about 10 feet of trail. Consequently it has also weakened another 20 feet of trail on either side that I fully expect to slide as well with the next rain. This is simply a matter of injury or death for anyone that does not pay attention and ends up sliding 100 plus feet down to the creek bottom ending in the jumble of mud, boulders and trees.

Expect this section to stay closed at least two weeks as we are still evaluating the best way to reroute the trail. Also expect more closures if JRPS or MORE find more areas that are dangerous.

Buttermilk East is a disaster area and is not navigable by bike. Please stay off the trails until after we have had a chance to repair some of the damages. Much of the topsoil has been blasted away and there are many erosion problems that we didn't have before. The remainder of Buttermilk Heights, Buttermilk West and the Po'Butter Loop have not been checked at this time and may be equally dangerous. No word on Forest Hill or Powhite conditions yet.

The first emergency work day is this saturday at 9:00 am at the Reedy Creek parking lot. Please do not take it upon yourselves to start clearing trail. We've had some issues in the past and JRPS expects the level of cooperation we have now. Please pass the word.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
NotQuiteJdm said:
Anyone have any pictures of the damage from all the rain? I've only heard
I'm going out tomorrow afternoon for an inspection with the park staff. I'll bring my camera.

Mike