Quantcast

Button your coat.

The US is likely going to face its own natural gas shortage this winter. That’s in part due to a lack of investment during the pandemic and ongoing labour shortages in the US that has made hiring workers in the oil sector more difficult.

In a report released Wednesday by the Dallas Federal Reserve Bank, 51 percent of the executives from oil and gas support service firms it surveyed said they had difficulty hiring workers. Seventy percent said a lack of qualified applicants was to blame, while 39 percent said workers were looking for more pay than they could offer.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not here and in Texas. They just flame off that shit on all the wells...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The US is likely going to face its own natural gas shortage this winter. That’s in part due to a lack of investment during the pandemic and ongoing labour shortages in the US that has made hiring workers in the oil sector more difficult.

In a report released Wednesday by the Dallas Federal Reserve Bank, 51 percent of the executives from oil and gas support service firms it surveyed said they had difficulty hiring workers. Seventy percent said a lack of qualified applicants was to blame, while 39 percent said workers were looking for more pay than they could offer.

One thing that is abundantly clear now that we have a labor shortage is that how companies try to hire people is completely fucking broken.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think that's because hiring is done by HR departments. :D

Partially, they just handle the administration. It is the hiring managers who want someone with 10 years of experience that can only come from working the open position for 10 years. The invisible process that takes months. The application process that takes a significant time investment by the applicant that the company already has a person they want but has to post a job to follow the rules. The software or brainless HR rep that filters out resumes despite not having a fucking clue what they are looking at. The poorly written job requisitions that don't give you a fucking clue what the job is actually about. The lack of desire to actually invest in an employee to make them productive.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Everyone goes to Costco and buys toilet paper then gets made cause there is none.

Now that same scenario is happening in employment.

Then there is the employee that has been let go every time it gets slow saying, fuck it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Everyone goes to Costco and buys toilet paper then gets made cause there is none.

Now that same scenario is happening in employment.

Then there is the employee that has been let go every time it gets slow saying, fuck it.

Whenever it will help profits: layoff employees

When there is a work shortage: there is no company loyalty anymore

When I mentioned I was looking for a new job my father questioned if I was going to lose out on benefits by not staying at the same place. I nearly shit myself laughing. With no pensions or early retirement options and companies doing little other than helping you save your own money for retirement there is literally zero benefit to staying anywhere.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

As long as the trees are replanted burning wood does not add more carbon to the carbon cycle. It can be cut from already downed trees and is often the case with firewood, it isn't very profitable to have a tree harvest for firewood. Methane from decomposed wood is actually a much stronger greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, by a factor of 10 IIRC. It does fuck over air quality and causes a long list of health impacts.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
yes, its because of me burning locally sourced would in a effecient cast iron stove instead of refined dinosaurs that were mined and transferred from hundreds of miles away

My neighbor used to heat his house with little more than deadfall from his 3/4 acre. I also used to hate that he did as his smoke would simply waft over to my house. My neighborhood had the air quality of Shanghai on a still winter days.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My neighbor used to heat his house with little more than deadfall from his 3/4 acre. I also used to hate that he did as his smoke would simply waft over to my house. My neighborhood had the air quality of Shanghai on a still winter days.
modern cast iron stoves (or inserts like i have) make very little smoke, you can typically only see it if using unseasoned firewood.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
and yes, any of the trees i've taken out from my property get split and seasoned for firewood. the wood i purchase comes from a local landscaping place, my understanding is that the source it from local arborists

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
and yes, any of the trees i've taken out from my property get split and seasoned for firewood. the wood i purchase comes from a local landscaping place, my understanding is that the source it from local arborists

A buddy of mine who ran a tree company produced tons of firewood. I eventually convinced him to get a bandsaw and start selling rough lumber. A lot of the trees he was removing were centuries old oak trees. It was a shame to see that get burned. He ended up being very popular with furniture makers.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A buddy of mine who ran a tree company produced tons of firewood. I eventually convinced him to get a bandsaw and start selling rough lumber. A lot of the trees he was removing were centuries old oak trees. It was a shame to see that get burned. He ended up being very popular with furniture makers.
there's a local sawmill, good stuff like that goes there. although i've definitely gotten oak firewood. not all the big ones are suitable for lumber.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
yes, its because of me burning locally sourced would in a effecient cast iron stove instead of refined dinosaurs that were mined and transferred from hundreds of miles away
As relatively rich, educated first worlders who are aware of the issues and are capable of change, can we just fucking stop burning shit? It’s not very hard.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
As long as the trees are replanted burning wood does not add more carbon to the carbon cycle. It can be cut from already downed trees and is often the case with firewood, it isn't very profitable to have a tree harvest for firewood. Methane from decomposed wood is actually a much stronger greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, by a factor of 10 IIRC. It does fuck over air quality and causes a long list of health impacts.
Sorry but in practice it just isn’t true that it’s carbon neutral. It’s normally pretty terrible. Locally, hand processed, naturally downed trees burned in an efficient stove is ‘less bad’ and avoids the methane as you say but most managed forests where the vast majority of firewood comes from are harvested on a 20 year cycle and most serious estimates say you need 40 years growth of an equivalent tree to sequester the equivalent carbon. This is not including the damage to soil (significant carbon release), transport and processing, etc.
You are completely right about the air quality issues too, recent research suggests this is probably more of a health impact than previously recognised, especially the pm2.5 type stuff which appears to be a strong antagonist of many conditions. Ironically efficient burning can actually make this even worse.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Whenever it will help profits: layoff employees

When there is a work shortage: there is no company loyalty anymore

When I mentioned I was looking for a new job my father questioned if I was going to lose out on benefits by not staying at the same place. I nearly shit myself laughing. With no pensions or early retirement options and companies doing little other than helping you save your own money for retirement there is literally zero benefit to staying anywhere.
It's always "employee shortage".

Why isn't it a "business surplus"?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
5 star customer review:

"What can I say. It's uranium. It's radioactive. It's... legal? As far as I know, lol. Great specimen, high geiger count. Very happy. I'll keep an eye out for the black helicopters. "

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Solar, wind, hydro, nuclear…

Jon should build his own hydro plant

Hydro power is also really bad as it interrupts fish spawing and destroys whole ecosystems on land an in the ocean. It is where the majority of power come from around here and is helping to drive wild salmon to extinction.

Hydro power is also really bad as it interrupts fish spawing and destroys whole ecosystems on land an in the ocean. It is where the majority of power come from around here and is helping to drive wild salmon to extinction.
Were I to start fiddling with the world, one of the activities would be dam removal in general, starting where rivers run into oceans and moving upstream until none were left. Beavers would be exempt.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

Yup, downsides to everything I’m afraid.

(Sidenote: Micro-hydro is interesting for offgrid types and can have very low impact, basically you take a small channel off a running watercourse and use it and gravity to spin things fast, the geometry/hydrodynamics of the spinning is interesting too).

Best low impact atm is fields of solar and offshore wind, with some sort of storage for off peak power capture.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A lot easier said than done. Perhaps on the east coast where there are a lot of old unused mill dams. But on the West coast dams not only produce electricity but enable irrigation responsible for more than half of food production. Pretty sure the majority of drinking water comes from dammed resevoirs. I'm OK with cutting the population in half, but not by starvation/thirst. I suggest the method be based on three simple questions...

1633037619421.png

A lot easier said than done. Perhaps on the east coast where there are a lot of old unused mill dams. But on the West coast dams not only produce electricity but enable irrigation responsible for more than half of food production. Pretty sure the majority of drinking water comes from dammed resevoirs. I'm OK with cutting the population in half, but not by starvation/thirst. I suggest the method be based on three simple questions...

View attachment 165434
I'm OK with the starvation and thirst. We imposed that and worse on the native populations when we stole their lands and murdered their people.