Quantcast

Buy-n-Sell question

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Whats up monkeys? Just moved to Canada so have, for the first time, started checking out the classifieds here with the intention of picking up a new frame and fork combo.

Noticed that quite a few ads state "Will ship/only ship to the lower 48" which obviously refers to the contintental US. Are guys who say this saying they'll only sell to people within the continental US or that they'll only pay for shipping within the continental US, ergo, they'll sell it to me in Canada, but I have to pay the shipping costs.

Sorry for the total noobery of the question, but don't want to go wasting a bunch of people's time with pointless PMs.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Where'd you move to?

With most US sellers, I find they just don't have experience in hsipping to Canada, so they just list the US for ease. But, I can usually convince them to ship to Canada using USPS, which will be a lot cheaper for you too once it crosses the border.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Moved to BC, currently staying with friends on Vancouver Island but looking for work anywhere there's mountains.

Can you explain the cheaper once it crosses the border stuff? Assuming you mean import duties and what have you?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
UPS, FedEx and all the rest are Nazi's. They will happily sodomize you with ludicrous border fees and customs duties, all without a kiss first or even a smile.

Canada post on the other hand, is far more reasonable, and do a fine job of getting you wonderful bike bits to ride.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Funny as shipping to Canada is as cheap as it is in the US. I found the best way is to ship by USPS. The person in Canada has it in 3days and the Customs Form is very simple to feel out. Never had a problem. Now FedEx and UPS is another problem in its own, if you don't have an account setup with them. Plus they are twice the cost.

Good luck,
Cecil

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
I shipped a frame up there just a few months ago, tearing it down and getting it to fit inside USPS dimensions was easier than the headache of a shipping company. I was leary too but the buyer said USPS was good to go, and was. Just try and work with your seller.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Might have something to do with the fear of pinkbike. Nobody wants to deal with pinkbikers...nobody.
Funny as I have always had better luck selling parts over the years using Pinkbike. Not saying I post there, but do sell there. I found on Ride Monkey you will get a hundred questions or someone would want to see 10 photos of the part first, then try to knock you down 30% of your cost even when its already a great buy. Pinkbike I have not had any of these problems. Hell, Pinkbike is also easier than Ebay. Please understand I love Ridemonkey and a lot of the guys and girls that post here, but just found I have better luck selling on Pinkbike. Not to say everyone else is the same.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I found the opposite to be true. Discount your parts, then somebody's going to offer their busted up RM7 frame for trade, or knock off %40 and ask how low you'll go.

There is a much larger market there though, no matter where you sell. I did in fact sell my BMW through that website, and almost sold a few other parts, but it took me 6 months.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I've actually had good luck selling on Pinkbike too when I was based in the UK. I'd be more leary of buying something of some madcore-jib-hucking grom than I would be taking their money via Paypal ;)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I just sold my frame to a guy in Quebec. I will ship anywhere in the world if the buyer pays shipping. What do I care. It takes me 2 min to fill out the form at the post office. I just sent my Shiver to Poland.
I have always used Postal and rates have always been reasonable. Here's the thing, a bike box (even a frame box) is too big for Postal to ship international. It cost me over $100 to ship a 13# frame box via UPS. Explain this to the seller, and do all the research on shipping costs, and you can talk most people into shipping anywhere. Make sure you use Paypal too. While they take a cut, it is by far the safest, easier way to do an international deal.

sAFETY

Chimp
Mar 5, 2007
If you're on the island, try Vancouver Island Mountain Biking (vimb.com) or NSMB.com

The other posters are right about Pinkbike. Not that it's all bad, but your chance of getting the dreaded PB Grom are high. I've found that the best places to both buy and sell are here and NSMB.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Having shipped stuff to Canada for years (both privately and professionally), be careful of using USPS/Canada Post, and make sure you know what you're getting yourself in to. While that route is cheaper and easier (with respect to customs paperwork), if something goes wrong, you're in trouble. USPS's tracking is hit-or-miss at best, and filing an insurance claim for a lost or damaged shipment with either USPS or Canada Post is a nightmare - you'd have an easier time petitioning Cheney for an early release from Gitmo.

UPS and FedEx are undoubtedly more expensive, but you do get quite a bit more peace of mind (much more detailed tracking information and a streamlined insurance process).

In the end, it all depends on your aversion to risk.

JP