Quantcast

Buyer beware grounds in coffee, surface tension, and neutral stability

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
This is the thread for when you just can't remember the name for something, or what it's called when something happens.

My current "What's the name for?" question is... what's the name for when you have something floating in your coffee, like an errant coffee ground, and when you stick your finger in there to fish it out the coffee ground keeps moving out of the way and you can never pinch it or smash it against the size of the coffee cup to remove it? Is that something to do with surface tension? Is there a name for this phenomenon?

Last edited:
This is the thread for when you just can't remember the name for something, or what it's called when something happens.

My current "What's the name for?" question is... what's the name for when you have something floating in your coffee, like an errant coffee ground, and when you stick your finger in there to fish it out the coffee ground keeps moving out of the way and you can never pinch it or smash it against the size of the coffee cup to remove it? Is that something to do with surface tension? Is there a name for this phenomenon?
Squirming twat waffle.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Eggshellitis.

Cause the same shit happens when you drop a piece of eggshell into yer omelet fixins.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Eggshellitis.

Cause the same shit happens when you drop a piece of eggshell into yer omelet fixins.
Totally!

I've found the best way to fish a chunk of eggshell out of the uncooked egg is with the rest of the eggshell... but in no universe do I want to crack an egg and fish out the errant squirming twat waffle of a coffee ground with half an eggshell covered in raw egg goo.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The surface of your coffee that tends to affect such particle is called the meniscus. I don't think it has any unique properties that make picking out coffee grounds difficult. I think it is the fact that the size of the coffee grounds makes it experience the fluid in ways we can't correlate to from our personal experience. I'd guess the reynolds number of a coffee ground moving in coffee is 4000 times different than what we experience in water. On the same note a gnat experiences air more like we experience water. I believe @dump is a fluids guys and can shed more light on the subject.

A little more thinking is that it is the Reynolds number of your finger in the coffee that is important and the coffee grounds just demonstrate the flow of coffee, and viscous forces may be dominant in this case?

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The surface of your coffee that tends to affect such particle is called the meniscus. I don't think it has any unique properties that make picking out coffee grounds difficult. I think it is the fact that the size of the coffee grounds makes it experience the fluid in ways we can't correlate to from our personal experience. I'd guess the reynolds number of a coffee ground moving in coffee is 4000 times different than what we experience in water. On the same note a gnat experiences air more like we experience water. I believe @dump is a fluids guys and can shed more light on the subject.

A little more thinking is that it is the Reynolds number of your finger in the coffee that is important and the coffee grounds just demonstrate the flow of coffee, and viscous forces may be dominant in this case?
Going back to the original question... i.e. why can't you get your coffee ground out:

You know, I haven't been a fluids guy for a long time, and this isn't my area, but if I had to guess, I think the factors at play are all related to surface tension. I can't say I've experienced this effect (should I even be weighing in on this?), but it sounds like a few factors are at play. The wikipedia entry to this discuses the factors pretty well:

The forces of attraction acting between the molecules of same type are called cohesive forces while those acting between the molecules of different types are called adhesive forces. The balance between the cohesion of the liquid and its adhesion to the material of the container determines the degree of wetting, the contact angle and the shape of meniscus. When cohesion dominates (specifically, adhesion energy is less than half of cohesion energy) the wetting is low and the meniscus is convex at a vertical wall (as for mercury in a glass container). On the other hand, when adhesion dominates (adhesion energy more than half of cohesion energy) the wetting is high and the similar meniscus is concave (as in water in a glass).
Change those factors, and you should be able to drop the tension, increase the wetting and get your coffee ground to stick to the object. Since changing the properties of the liquid isn't an option, perhaps it's as simple as changing the contact angle and material... for example, not using not your finger, but another object (potentially not ideal, i.e rough) and at an angle.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Going back to the original question... i.e. why can't you get your coffee ground out:

You know, I haven't been a fluids guy for a long time, and this isn't my area, but if I had to guess, I think the factors at play are all related to surface tension. I can't say I've experienced this effect (should I even be weighing in on this?), but it sounds like a few factors are at play. The wikipedia entry to this discuses the factors pretty well:

Change those factors, and you should be able to drop the tension, increase the wetting and get your coffee ground to stick to the object. Since changing the properties of the liquid isn't an option, perhaps it's as simple as changing the contact angle and material... for example, not using not your finger, but another object (potentially not ideal, i.e rough) and at an angle.
In my experience the coffee grounds sit below the surface and not on top, so wasn't sure if surface tension would be in play. It probably isn't for the coffee ground but it would be for your finger as it has to break the surface tension and probably pushes the ground out of the way in the process. Perhaps attacking the problem with a clean and wetted finger would help?

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
So the coffee forms a ramp up your finger and the coffee ground try’s to go downhill because it’s awesome. Interesting.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
In my experience the coffee grounds sit below the surface and not on top, so wasn't sure if surface tension would be in play. It probably isn't for the coffee ground but it would be for your finger as it has to break the surface tension and probably pushes the ground out of the way in the process. Perhaps attacking the problem with a clean and wetted finger would help?
If we are talking sub-surface particulate, I'd have to imagine refraction plays a role in the struggles, though I have no idea how the refractive index of coffee compares to well, anything else.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I had a squirming twat waffle in my coffee again this morning, so I inserted my appropriately Reynolds numbered index digit into the moderately hot liquid at a really oblique angle, and by gum that totally worked.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Wife and I attempted to go sledding on it this morning at 6:45, but despite being a steep slope, it wasn't steep enough to overcome the sinking into the powder.
What is the name for... when the slope isn't steep enough to sled or ski on because of the amount of sinking into the snow? Is that just not being able to overcome the coefficient of friction?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Pretty good description for how the few attempts went this morning.
How're you two feeling after your sledding attempts yesterday? Any crashes that caused residual aches and pains?

Also, Green Mountain was in stellar shape for the fatty last night. Might have been sledding, too.