Quantcast

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
In my recent experience, SRAM is the only one putting out drawings/documentation that I would say are complete and cohesive enough to hand to any competent mechanically inclined person (rider or not) and get work done correctly.

I take the rest with a grain of salt and rely on experience with building/working on bikes for 20yrs to know how things need to be done. Even still, shit happens sometimes.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Seems like half of you all have a serious drinking problem
If you show up complaining about CS problem with a bike company in this forum be prepared to get some push back as we are all old and have been riding bike since the early 90s if not longer so we have all gone through shitty experiences and learn from that. I am sure we could compile a long list of do and don'ts when buying bikes. It's not like you are buying YT because it's a better bike than what else is on the market you buy it because of marketing and their "cheap" direct to consumer business model and that will have some drawbacks

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If YT is a shitty company as you describe, maybe the drawing IS correct, but your frame had a change made to it and the customer service person is just out to lunch?

I'm also in the boat that those paint chips look like normal wear and tear. Saying that, my experience is that majority of bikes out there have shitty paint jobs. Why do you think there are so many clear wrap jobs out there?

rokcore

Chimp
Feb 17, 2021
All I'm saying is that a mail order bike is no excuse for a bad product. Why should you get any less quality of a product buying directly from Apple vs buying their phone through Best Buy. Just trying to hold the company accountable instead of letting them throq their hands in the air

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Look at it this way. It’s kind of like buying a ‘knock off‘ Fender guitar on E-Bay. Sure, it plays all of the notes...but the tuners aren’t going to be as nice, the pickups won’t be as clean sounding, the neck might not be as straight, the paint might not be as perfect...but you have to accept the reality of ‘the deal’.
For just a few bucks more, you could have gotten a Squier.
just kind of ‘the way it is’.
That said, I would ride the hell out of a Capra, or an Izzo, or whatever. But I would harbor no illusions.
My friend has a Capra that he loves, and absolutely rips on.
Hot tip: before you sell this bike, make sure that you have another in hand!
The industry is in turmoil.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its not limited to a mail order bike - heck you can spend MORE for a frame from a boutique type brand and still get a shitty bike.

Hey at least you don't own an Evil Revolt.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Poor reading comprehension dude.

And yes the diagram makes it perfectly clear.../sView attachment 156712

Don't know what backwards world you all live in where exploded diagrams aren't used for removing/putting parts back together. Pick up a car maintenance manual and tell me that with a straight face. There's two ways to remove bearings; pressing and pulling. The diagram shows the seat stays can be done by pressing. The two double bearings for the chain stay pivot would have also been pulled out from either side based on the genius suggestions above; those were both pushed out from the same side they are indicated as going in shown in the diagram. If you all are satisfied with subpar quality that's fine. This is for people who expect more and want to hold manufacturers accountable for poor quality, poor service, and poor documents.
Since this is what I do for a living, I must admit that this exploded view drawing is awfully awful.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Finally, a thread about poor quality paint!
I bought a discount custom made frame and after a year one side was a completely different shade of pink to the other, outrageous!
Thanks for having the courage to start a thread for us inconvenienced white people, we have it tough!
Also, oxy is the third way to get a bearing out.
bare ring.jpg

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Seems like half of you all have a serious drinking problem
Really? How many forums did you copypasta your complaints into? Here, Vital, MTBR... where else? What's your point with all this? Are you "helping the community learn from your mistake"? Bullshit. You're such a good mechanic that you "trusted the diagram" to a fault even though "a reasonable person" would have likely used their eyeballs and some common sense to see reality on reality's terms? IMNSHO, a "reasonable person" wouldn't have ham-fisted the thing to the point of breaking, and maybe would have done it a different way or taken it to a shop. And a "reasonable person" wouldn't be spewing this garbage on every mountain bike forum they can sign up for.

Look, I'll concede that the paint is crap, and the exploded diagram is wrong. Fine. So what? You still fucked it up. Not YT. You did. Guy with the correct and perfectly fine Park tool in his hand fucked it up.

And you're pissed that something broke, and you're pissed that YT isn't bending over backwards to fix something you fucked up, and you're grasping at straws to make it anyone's fault but your own... so now you're shouting this from the rooftops of a community you're brand new to, a group of people that know their shit, and know BS when we see it. And when that community you've chosen to join for the sole purpose of spewing your nonsense calls you out on it, you double-down, dig your heels in, and insult them?

How DARE you suggest that half of us have a serious drinking problem.

WE ALL DO.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Really? How many forums did you copypasta your complaints into? Here, Vital, MTBR... where else? What's your point with all this? Are you "helping the community learn from your mistake"? Bullshit. You're such a good mechanic that you "trusted the diagram" to a fault even though "a reasonable person" would have likely used their eyeballs and some common sense to see reality on reality's terms? IMNSHO, a "reasonable person" wouldn't have ham-fisted the thing to the point of breaking, and maybe would have done it a different way or taken it to a shop. And a "reasonable person" wouldn't be spewing this garbage on every mountain bike forum they can sign up for.

Look, I'll concede that the paint is crap, and the exploded diagram is wrong. Fine. So what? You still fucked it up. Not YT. You did. Guy with the correct and perfectly fine Park tool in his hand fucked it up.

And you're pissed that something broke, and you're pissed that YT isn't bending over backwards to fix something you fucked up, and you're grasping at straws to make it anyone's fault but your own... so now you're shouting this from the rooftops of a community you're brand new to, a group of people that know their shit, and know BS when we see it. And when that community you've chosen to join for the sole purpose of spewing your nonsense calls you out on it, you double-down, dig your heels in, and insult them?

WE ALL DO.
All those years spent in a Turkish prison made you a hard man.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In my recent experience, SRAM is the only one putting out drawings/documentation that I would say are complete and cohesive enough to hand to any competent mechanically inclined person (rider or not) and get work done correctly.

I take the rest with a grain of salt and rely on experience with building/working on bikes for 20yrs to know how things need to be done. Even still, shit happens sometimes.
i've actually come across assembly drawings on Fox's website.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I don't know if YT powdercoat the frames but I usually try to avoid powdercoated items because if it's done poorly(Intense) it doesn't stick very well. Brighter colors are also more likely to fade as not everyone has managed to make PC as colorfast as when it had lead in it.

Also, bikes suck, anyone that doesn't properly mask a bearing recess should be shot, pressing bearings in through paint sucks, it caused two of the three factory installed cracks on one of my Corsair frames.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't know if YT powdercoat the frames but I usually try to avoid powdercoated items because if it's done poorly(Intense) it doesn't stick very well. Brighter colors are also more likely to fade as not everyone has managed to make PC as colorfast as when it had lead in it.

Also, bikes suck, anyone that doesn't properly mask a bearing recess should be shot, pressing bearings in through paint sucks, it caused two of the three factory installed cracks on one of my Corsair frames.
as far as i'm aware GG is the only company out there powder coating carbon frames.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Normal usage would be this level of damage after many years of riding. Most of this was within the first year. There were paint chips hiding by the ISCG-05 mounting bolts (How would damage happen there? when it's protected by the bash guard) There's no justification for the quality of the paint
Should have gone with powder coating.

rokcore

Chimp
Feb 17, 2021

WE ALL DO.

Gave them a chance to own up to it and now I'm sharing my experience. So yes, I am hoping this helps someone else in the future. I'll assume that if a parachute manufacturer tells you the correct way to pack a parachute and it's wrong then it's your fault. Got it

rokcore

Chimp
Feb 17, 2021
Or an incorrect wiring diagram for an electrical appliance. If you don't care about the quality of what you buy then this thread is not for you

rokcore

Chimp
Feb 17, 2021
However, if you don’t know about the lack of quality of what you buy...that’s on you.
we all are victims of this occasionally.
ask me about SK Carbon seatposts...
Which is exactly why I'm posting this so people are informed to make better decisions

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Huh. I always thought exploded diagrams were for identifying parts and that service manuals were for service. :busted:

All I'm saying is that a mail order bike is no excuse for a bad product. Why should you get any less quality of a product buying directly from Apple vs buying their phone through Best Buy. Just trying to hold the company accountable instead of letting them throq their hands in the air
Your analogy is seriously flawed: You didn't buy the same product from a less expensive outlet, you bought a different product. From a company known for cutting corners to sell bikes cheaper than the competition. Then you messed it up by ham-fisting it in a misguided effort to make it look pretty, and are looking for someone else to blame.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Gave them a chance to own up to it and now I'm sharing my experience. So yes, I am hoping this helps someone else in the future. I'll assume that if a parachute manufacturer tells you the correct way to pack a parachute and it's wrong then it's your fault. Got it
And maybe it will help someone in the future...

If you are still concerned about the integrity of the seat stays, perhaps they will sell you some. Would that be an acceptable resolution to your issue at this point?

May I ask you about gorilla tape?
¿Puedo preguntarte sobre la cinta de gorila?

rokcore

Chimp
Feb 17, 2021
We have all pretty much decided to stop reading your prattle, which seems like a better decision, so thank you very much!
Which is fine. You all have that choice and I have my choice to share my experience. Just remember when something breaks it is always your fault for not researching, buying the right product, etc. You should hang on to that knowledge so you can call the next guy to come along a sucker and make sure companies aren't forced to address their shortcomings