Quantcast

Buying a bike in the UK

bryman1999

Chimp
Nov 20, 2005
BC
Hey there, first off I know this probably shouldn't be in the DH forum but I figure you guys would be the best to ask so bare with me
I'm leaving for Europe in a few days where I plan to do a bit of cycle touring. I want to buy a low-end commuter bike, comfort is the main priority. I have been looking at the Kona Smoke 2-9 but am worried about the availability and price in the UK. The price here is 370 CAD and the retail for the UK is 280 GBP (approx 560 CAD). I would just purchase the bike here and bring it over on the plane but I already have a pack that I have to check and there are heavy fees for going over the 40lbs weight restriction (20 bucks a lbs?)

Does anybody have any suggestions about what I should do here?

Also, I understand that there is 17.5% value added tax in the UK, is this 17.5% ontop of the orginial price or has it already been included somehow? If it isn't included then I'll definitely have to buy used, anybody have any idea if there is a good second-hand scene in the UK (specifically London)?

I'm also going to be on the mainland, probably starting off in Amsterdam, does anybody know if it would be cheaper to purchase a bike there?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
VAT is already in the price. Mainland europe will be a little cheaper than the Uk so probably best to buy your bike there. If youre not a citizen of the EU you are eligable for a VAT Refund when you are returning home so keep your reciepts for any major purchases. Do a bit of a googling but you are defenitly entitled to claim the VAT back when leaving Ireland and returning home so it should be the same for the UK and the rest of Europe

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
VAT is already in the price. Mainland europe will be a little cheaper than the Uk so probably best to buy your bike there. If youre not a citizen of the EU you are eligable for a VAT Refund when you are returning home so keep your reciepts for any major purchases. Do a bit of a googling but you are defenitly entitled to claim the VAT back when leaving Ireland and returning home so it should be the same for the UK and the rest of Europe
not anymore, many british inet shops are very competitive to the mainland shops

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
true but when ur going to a walk in store. I work in a bricks and mortar shop in Ireland and i know of a good few of my customers who have gotten killer deals in france and germany way better than you would online.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
The above is correct...VAT will always be included on somthing like a bike (the only things realy that will be the exception to the rule are things bought trade..but unless your planning on buying a nice piece of steel tubing and welding yourself a bike this wont apply to you) You can normally find some nice deals if you look in magazines and on uk internet sites but as far as i know typically the uk is pretty expensive for bikes, i know its alot more than the us and canada(lucky b**tards).

Some airlines,atleast in the uk i know this is true, offer a deal where you pay a fixed ammount ie £30 for example for a bike bag which has its own certain weight allowance. instead of paying in excess which is super expensive. You need to weight up the price of travel with the bike vs the price of buying the bike in the uk, like will you need a bike bag for travle across europe? if not youd need to factor in that aswell wich realy makes it not worth taking a bike all the way to the uk...also as with anywhere, if your willing to settle for a different bike you may be able to get a cheep deal on an older year model bike etc.

hope some of that helps and enjoy your stay in the uk....i personally would rather be in canada but im sure its atually a nice place to visit if you havnt lived here all your life. having said that if you like city life london can be allot of fun...

bryman1999

Chimp
Nov 20, 2005
BC
hope some of that helps and enjoy your stay in the uk....i personally would rather be in canada but im sure its atually a nice place to visit if you havnt lived here all your life. having said that if you like city life london can be allot of fun...
Cheers, thanks for the kind regards, and yah I already looked into my flight thing and unfortunately they don't have a set fee type of deal, any sporting goods are deal with like normal checked luggage. I saw some good deals on chain-reaction cycles so I'll probably just order one from there once I arrive, however I wouldn't mind checking out some local classifieds. Are there any london or atleast UK based riding communities with good online classifieds? IE the UK version of ridemonkey or NSMB?

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Cheers, thanks for the kind regards, and yah I already looked into my flight thing and unfortunately they don't have a set fee type of deal, any sporting goods are deal with like normal checked luggage. I saw some good deals on chain-reaction cycles so I'll probably just order one from there once I arrive, however I wouldn't mind checking out some local classifieds. Are there any london or atleast UK based riding communities with good online classifieds? IE the UK version of ridemonkey or NSMB?
www.southerndh.com

you have to become a member to access the classifieds tho

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
Jus checked availability for you, Kona only have the smoke in 20" left.

As far as i can see the RRP is £280, if you happen to fit a 20" i can probably get you one for £235

bryman1999

Chimp
Nov 20, 2005
BC
I'm 5'9 with pretty long legs so I think a 20" should be fine for touring around, do you work for a shop that sells kona? Any type of deal I can get would be absolutely killer and greatly appreciated!