Quantcast

buying a bike

ScottJensen

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
lookin to get my first freeride/dirt jumping hard tail bike and really have no idea where to start. im aware of all the brands, and have been reading for a few weeks on goods and bads of them all. im looking for some guidance or personal prefs. one thing is im 6'5" and need a bike thatll fit me decently, and i wont be feelin' it after each ride. any suggestions for that criteria wouold like to keep it under a grand as well, and with what ive seen that should be to difficult. any helps appriciated. thanks guys!! ---Scotty

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
Look for a low travel fork i suggest the marz DJ series. Soul Cycles makes cheap frames that are pretty good and you can always find great deals in the classifieds here. Are you looking to build up a bike or get a complete?

ScottJensen

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
im not totally against building a bike, just honestly have no idea what type of parts id be looking for. are there any good sites with infor on building? whcich do yall prefer? build or buy comp? thanks

ScottJensen

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
also, would you all recoment a single speed, or no? i can see the advantage with weight and having one less thing to worry about breaking etc.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
if you're going to do any trail riding at all (ie freeriding that is not lift accessed or shuttled or whatever) dont go single. As for buying something stock, it will be a lot cheaper, but there arent that many true freeride hardtails out there. With most of them you're going to end up swapping forks right out of the box if you want to do anything big, and the other oem parts often leave something to be desired.

ScottJensen

Chimp
Oct 9, 2006
so it seems to me, that buying a used bike, maybe with a few things missing and such, and building it up to my specs would suit alot better than getting a new stocker that i will have to upgrade out of the box. no? any idea on a bike for someone as tall as i? thanksss

p1ridrnc42

Chimp
Aug 11, 2006
Im 6'4" and I ride the Specialized P bikes...all 3 haha....but im selling the 4th...my '05 P Street....Its in great shape, brand new Maxxis holy Rollers, everything works like new...Im only asking $375...pretty good price considering I paid $500 for it 3 months ago and its in great shape!