Quantcast

Buying a bmx with the right set-up! need help

Adrenalyn

Chimp
Oct 26, 2008
Hi, I want to buy a bmx to do street/park/DJ.

Since I have never rode a bmx (nor any mtb either), I would like a bike with 4 pegs, 2 brakes, and a gyro so that I can see what I like and then choose the right set-up that I like.

I am looking for a good complete bmx that either has 2 brakes and a gyro or a bike that has the required parts to put a gyro and 2 brakes.

Don't post any bikes 800$+, post the best beginner bikes (best bike for cash actually).

Thank you.

Oct 8, 2008
Maryland
I found that for me at least the best (for the money) completes are in the $500 range, anything lower and you're stuck with hi tensile and no choice of TT length which is usually short. Go on Dans Comp and see what you like then buy from your LBS!

I don't know of any completes with 4 pegs though.

Sep 12, 2004
4 pegs suck, brakes suck, gyros suck.
yeah listen to this guy - the first bmx you want is a bike with no brakes and a dedicated park or street bike

he gave some real winning advice :disgust1:

if youre just getting into bmx - i dont think you would even want to begin to consider anything above $500. the beauty about completes compared to mtbs is they are way cheaper. for just starting out - i think you could get away with buying a complete around the $400 mark and then decide from that point on whether or not youd like to invest more in a/the bike

with that being said - i would check out your LBS and ride a few. my shop doesnt really sell to many bmx bikes but we stock a bunch of haros around the 300-500 dollar mark which i think would be a great fit

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
you wont find a complete with 4 pegs, gyro, front and rear brakes. get the fit prk 2 and buy 2 pegs and a front brake. it'll be a tank.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Kink and Fit have a couple of bikes that will work, they run $300-$430ish. You will have very few choices that have a front brake stock. Honestly though, a fork without the brake mounts will not allow you a brake that will stop you well enough to warrant having one...just my opinion I guess. Just starting out you won't need to spend a whole lot on a bike. Just sbout any bike that's $350 and up will work out for you. If you like it and decide to keep riding and go bigger, you can always upgrade or sell it to get a better one. Just hit up Dans Comp, Staff Bmx, Empire Bmx, etc... and compare prices. Not sure what the shops around you carry, but I'd go hit them up and test ride a few brands they carry too. Most similarly priced bikes tend to have the same parts on them anyways (unless it's a closeout or its used). You might get another tube on the frame that is cr-mo or 48 spoke wheels vs a 36, but just starting out you honestly won't feel much of a difference at all. Until you are beating the hell out of your bike and riding all the time, you will be fine. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Looking at that Haro is giving me a toothache.
Honestly if you never rode bmx or mtb, you should wait for the pegs. You're adding a few pounds for something you have no use for. First learn how to ride, then start with one on your rear and see if you even like grinding/stalling.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Honestly if you never rode bmx or mtb, you should wait for the pegs. You're adding a few pounds for something you have no use for. First learn how to ride, then start with one on your rear and see if you even like grinding/stalling.

thats some good advice.
if you're just staring you dont even know which side is your grinding side and if u like/can grind in the first place.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I'm pretty new to bmx and I just found an old beat up redline, took the pegs, brakes, and gyro off and started learning to ride. I can 180, 360, barspin, and tailwhip now so it worked for me, needless to say everything I do is really sketchy and I almost die everytime, but it's fun.

Sep 12, 2004
lol very good advice

maybe kermit the frog green isnt for everyone (although my frame is very very similar in color - i think its more kawasaki green through)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Hi, I want to buy a bmx to do street/park/DJ.

Since I have never rode a bmx (nor any mtb either), I would like a bike with 4 pegs, 2 brakes, and a gyro so that I can see what I like and then choose the right set-up that I like.

I am looking for a good complete bmx that either has 2 brakes and a gyro or a bike that has the required parts to put a gyro and 2 brakes.

Don't post any bikes 800$+, post the best beginner bikes (best bike for cash actually).

Thank you.
If you have never ridden a bmx or an mtb....either you're a roadie crossing over or you're a young dude.... Just get something cheap. Get on craigslist and grab something used. Then you're second bike, you'll have a better idea what you want. So start with a Haro, DK, Diamond Back, Free Agent, Specialized, whatever..... Then next step up for a complete would be Hoffman, Kink, Fit....