Quantcast

Buying a BMX

BMX-Grip

Chimp
Oct 8, 2009
Ok this may seem like a stupid questions, but i am new, i am starting to really get into biking and i am looking to get a new bike. I would go to my local store but they are so damn expensive and they try to sell you a load of ****, pardon my french.

But i am riding like a 03 GT Performer, im not even sure on this but i am guessing, it is a GT Performer but i don;t know the year model, all i know is that i got it like 6 years ago. It;s held up alright but now it's getting bad. The handles always have to be adjusted after each run, bolt and everything are striped and the bike weights 33Pounds, i measured.

So i am looking to buy a new bike, maybe online not so sure yet. I ride BMX for Dirt Jumping and a little bit of street and flatground.

So i was looking around my budget and i cn get around $500 or maybe a little more. I was looking at:

WeThePeople - Crysis, It;s like around 24Pounds and seems solid, but again i don't know so thats why i am asking.

Also i was considering a GT Performer again but a newer model just because i ride a old one. Again i don;t really know anything about it.

So if you could post up a bike that might help me or comment on either of these bikes, Please don;t say it;s good, give me a reason. ty

~Nik

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Check out completes from:
KINK, FIT, HOFFMAN, SUBROSA, DK, EASTERN, FBM, WE THE PEOPLE, etc.

A great place to start is browse the Complete Bike sections of Empire,www.empirebmx.com, Albes, www.albes.com, and JR Bicycles
https://www.jrbicycles.com/storefront/ .

BMX brands from typical bike shops like Diamond Back, Haro, GT are good too (quality-wise, most entry bmx completes are comparable these days), but the brands I listed at the top are cooler and your re-sale value will be better if you ever decide to upgrade.

For doing grinds on street, make sure you get a bike with a fat (14mm) axle in the back wheel. (Front wheel doesn't matter if it is 3/8" b/c generally front peg takes less abuse).

Other than that, basically all the BMX's of the brands listed are good. Just depends how much you want to spend. All 4130 Chromoly steel bikes cost more. (Lower-end bikes will come with Hi-Tensile steel, or maybe 1,2,3 tubes of Chromoly). They're still good enough for beginners though, so don't worry too much about that. If you know you're going to stick with BMX for sure, it's probably worth going from the $250 range up to the $450+ range to get an all-chromoly frame and fork. It will be both stronger and lighter.

Last edited:

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
Mirraco is currently building some of the best spec'd BMX bikes for the money right now.

For what you are looking for, I'd look into the Mirraco Blend!