Quantcast

Buying a brand new bike/frame before trying it

Would you buy a bike without first trying it?

• Total voters

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
How many of you have purchased or would purchase a brand new bike (complete or just the frame) before having ever ridden one, be it a demo, a floor model, or a friend's similar bike? Would you buy a bike blindly like that?

I asking about new bikes only, because generally speaking used bikes don't cost as much and you're more likely to get to ride one before buying it.

I'm just curious, that's all.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i purchased my last few bikes unridden: intense uzzi slx, evil imperial, canfield f1, diamondback/dbr axis (<-- blast from the past!)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, if the numbers are what I want, I have a good idea of whats up. I wouldnt buy some crazy design full squish that way, but mostly its no big deal.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
and I bought my Quasi Moto having not ridden one. I demo'd a Switchblade and ended up getting the Quasi.

My first bike was purchased right from the floor. My rigorous jaunt through the gravel parking lot convinced me to buy it. :rolleyes:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
bikes i've bought unridden:

cannondale hardtail
kona hot (frame)
joker
DHi
Giant DH
voodoo bakka (frame)
spooky pit boss (frame)
evil imperial (frame)

bikes i've pre-ridden before buying (either demo or friend's)

ted wojcik
spec enduro

i've had good luck w/ all, except for probably the 1st cannondale which was a bit large (my first bike). once you get enough experience you can pretty much figure out what dimensions are right for you. of course, if you have the chance of pre-riding, it's always recommended, but make sure the suspension is also set up to suit.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sure. You know what geometry you've ridden before, you can look at the geometry for new bikes... Bikes aren't black magic - if you know how types of suspensions ride and can take a hard look at the frame numbers, you're going to have a pretty good idea of how it'll handle.

I've never had big shops in the area that stock a lot of bikes I'd be interested in. So buying before riding is about my only option.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bought my Flux unridden, but I rode bikes with nearly identical geometry numbers so I had a good feeling about it. It worked out really well. I wouldn't suggest it to someone who has not ridden a bunch of different bikes and doesn't know how a few tweaks in geometry would really feel.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the original specialized f.s.r.
uzzi slx.
m-1.
yeti fro.
yeti DH9.

all bought untested.

all worked out perfectly.
and i doubt i'll be getting a chance to test a 303 when i decide to get one, probably next year.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I've bought 4 bikes without riding them ...

- Free Agent Betty :thumb:

- Azonic DS-1 :weee:

- On-One 456 :dancing:

- Trek 8900 LT :redhot: :dead: :mad: :stosh:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I vote other just because.

But I've done both. I never rode the 575 before I bought it but was comfortable with the angles and how they compared to the Heckler to know what I was getting. However, I did ride a Heckler before I bought one because it was a fairly big departure from what I had before.

Now suspension forks, I won't buy unless I've got a little time on one or at least the same model line.

binary visions said:
Sure. You know what geometry you've ridden before, you can look at the geometry for new bikes... Bikes aren't black magic - if you know how types of suspensions ride and can take a hard look at the frame numbers, you're going to have a pretty good idea of how it'll handle.
what if you don't know what you want? (see where this is going? LOL)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
MtnBikerChk said:
so is the next thread going to be "I want a new bike but don't know what to get."

or

"I'm trying to talk myself into a used mountain bike and am looking for justification."

If I was buying a used mountain bike I would definately want to ride it first. Road bikes not so much, but mountain bikes yep.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MtnBikerChk said:
If you don't know what you want, then no, you shouldn't buy one sight-unseen :)

At the very least, go down to your LBS, make a list of the frames that are similar, ride them, and note your impressions. Then go home and look up the geometry - if one you liked at the LBS matches the geometry of the one you like online, then that might be a bike to buy.

If you've got some friends with similar frames, you can ride theirs as well - same deal, figure out which ones you like and compare to the one you haven't ridden.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Bought my current ride as a frame without every riding one. Just looked at the geometery of the bike and thought it would work for me.

It does and it's my favorite bike...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I guess we're lucky out here. My buddy went to several demo days where he got to test ride Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Titus, Spec'd, Yeti, and I think Turner. On trails that he's likely to ride on a regular basis.

I personally would buy a bike without having ridden it.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
If you don't know what you want, then no, you shouldn't buy one sight-unseen :)

At the very least, go down to your LBS, make a list of the frames that are similar, ride them, and note your impressions. Then go home and look up the geometry - if one you liked at the LBS matches the geometry of the one you like online, then that might be a bike to buy.

If you've got some friends with similar frames, you can ride theirs as well - same deal, figure out which ones you like and compare to the one you haven't ridden.
I don't know if I am mentally prepared to endure a MtnBikerChk bike buying process. :(

:rofl:

binary visions said:
I think I need a lesson in bike geometry. I mean I know what the measurements mean, but I don't know what a 74degree seat angle on a 15" vs 16.3" tube length will do for me.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
MtnBikerChk said:
I think I need a lesson in bike geometry. I mean I know what the measurements mean, but I don't know what a 74degree seat angle on a 15" vs 16.3" tube length will do for me.
It'll make you crazy thinking about it like that.

First what are is geo of the bike you have now.

Then what don't you like about the ride of the bike you have now? Too stretched. Too cramped. Front end wanders too much on climbs. Too sketchy on downhills. You like the ride exactly as is but want lighter.

That's the starting point.

DRB said:
It'll make you crazy thinking about it like that.

First what are is geo of the bike you have now.

Then what don't you like about the ride of the bike you have now? Too stretched. Too cramped. Front end wanders too much on climbs. Too sketchy on downhills. You like the ride exactly as is but want lighter.

That's the starting point.
original Blur - I think it's comparable to the XC - size small.

what I like: climbing
what I don't like: standover height to high, top tube too long (super short stem on it too), bottom bracket too low (pedals always hitting rocks), overall bike feels heavy.

what I have in my hands now: moto lite women's geometry chart

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
DRB said:
so is the next thread going to be "I want a new bike but don't know what to get."

or

"I'm trying to talk myself into a used mountain bike and am looking for justification."

If I was buying a used mountain bike I would definately want to ride it first. Road bikes not so much, but mountain bikes yep.
no.
the next thread will be entitled "dudes, what kind of tires should i run on a bike i've never ridden before ?"

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sounds like the X-small Motolite might be your ticket to happiness, then. Shorter top tube, higher BB height, better standover. Weight is gonna vary wildly with how you build it. Wheelbase isn't too big a difference, chainstays spot on, head angles similar... Top tube shouldn't be so much shorter as to hurt your climbing, either.

You're running a degree slacker on the head angle of the moto-lite, which will give you a little more stability at high speed, but a little less snappy steering at low speed. That can be tweaked by your fork, though.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
binary visions said:
Sounds like the X-small Motolite might be your ticket to happiness, then. Shorter top tube, higher BB height, better standover. Weight is gonna vary wildly with how you build it. Wheelbase isn't too big a difference, chainstays spot on, head angles similar... Top tube shouldn't be so much shorter as to hurt your climbing, either.

You're running a degree slacker on the head angle of the moto-lite, which will give you a little more stability at high speed, but a little less snappy steering at low speed. That can be tweaked by your fork, though.
With the shorter top tube and the ability to run a bit longer stem, the climbing shouldn't suffer at all. The head tube angle can be totally controlled by the fork as BV said so there is no worry there.

The suspension feel is going to be different between the two. However, if you can get a test ride on a specialized stumpjumper that will be similar enough to give you an idea of that.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I bought my current Blur frame sight unseen and had never ridden a Blur before, I couldn't be more happy witht the bike. As it's been said on here several times, if you're familiar with the geometry of the bike you currently have (assuming it fits and works for you) buying without test riding shouldn't be a problem.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
MtnBikerChk said:
how?

and the stumpjumper I can certainly find around here!
Suspension feel will be similar because they are both Horst Link 4 bar rear ends.

I've bought several bikes sight unseen without a problem. The Moto Lite is a good do it all bike and I'm a Titus fan but it is not a terribly inspiring bike in any way. I seriously considered one to replace my aging Loco Moto but after riding it at Dirt Demo I decided to look elsewhere.

Bikes purchased without riding them:
Psycle Werks Wild Hare
Aeon/Ellsworth Joker
Titus Loco Moto
Evil Imperial
Iron Horse 7 point

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I know my size in certain brands, so I feel comfortable buying a frame/bike sight unseen. I bought my roadbike online based on measurements and, other than needing a shorter stem, it's been a great fit.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Yep. Canfield F1, 24 Le Toy, I can't really remember really trying a Heckler so thats on the list too, I suppose. No regrets...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
MtnBikerChk said:
how?

and the stumpjumper I can certainly find around here!
One of the main features of the VPP bikes is managing pedal bob. The design helps eliminate it. As a consequence the suspension will stiffen up under heavy pedaling load, especially in the granny gear. My experience on the blur is that you also get a lot of pedal feedback under the same conditions.

The Titus is going to be more active in those situations. However, pedal bob is sort of a "feature" of FSR designs. When I ride an FSR bike it always seems super plush but I do feel like I'm wasting some energy on suspension movement. However, with an adjusted "pro pedal" shock a lot of that can be overcome.

There are some other differences but it is significant enough that you might want to give an FSR design bike (the stumpjumper being the most similar one I can think of) a whirl before dropping the cash. Finding one to test ride shouldn't be too difficult.