Quantcast

buying a car on ebay?

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
i'm just curious if any one here has bought a car on ebay or know anyone that has. i'm not going to be purchasing one in the near future or maybe one at all. but if i all of the sudden find a car thats a great deal i may just sell mine and buy it.

but i digress...how much of a pain is it, do you still have to pay sales tax , if so what if the car is from another state...and any other stories you have would be helpful

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
You have to pay taxes on the car in the state you register it in.

Find a friend nearby who is knowledgeable of cars to check it out if you're spending real dough, or have a reputable mechanic do a PPI.

I bought my current daily through a site from a guy in Vegas. Was a great experience, but I have friends there who are quite car-smart and having it checked out wasn't an issue.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I bought my 300zx off ebay for $340 and towed it home. I got it from Seattle at a dealership.

I bought my motorcycle from an insurance auction in Minnesota. My bike was $650 to ship to my office ($50 less because there was a loading dock). It would have been $550 if it was under 751cc.

My friend bought his Dodge Magnum from a dealership in Detroit on ebay and paid to have it shipped to him in Arizona when he was at OBC. After shipping, he still saved about $4k over what the local dealer wanted. It was a hell of a deal.

No tax on either because we are both Oregon residents. It's only as much of a pain as you want it to be.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
My girlfriend purchased her 05 Mazda 3 sedan on ebay from a dealership up in Phoenix. She hit "Buy it Now" and we drove up there to finalize the deal. Went very smooth.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
i'm just curious if any one here has bought a car on ebay or know anyone that has. i'm not going to be purchasing one in the near future or maybe one at all. but if i all of the sudden find a car thats a great deal i may just sell mine and buy it.

but i digress...how much of a pain is it, do you still have to pay sales tax , if so what if the car is from another state...and any other stories you have would be helpful
It can be very dangerous territory...just take your time and make sure to read all the fine print...because if it does go bad Ebay will do absolutely squat to help you. I think you will get the best results buying from a dealer though...unless the seller is local and you can go take a look at the car..D