Quantcast

Buying a frame from the UK - Duty Tax Fees?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hey guys,
I am buying a frame from the United Kingdom. Does anyone know how much the frame will be for Duty Tax Fees? I am paying $1800 if that is relative. Oh, by the way, I am in the USA.

Thanks for the help.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Does it make a difference how they declare it? Like as a gift, as an item they sold, etc? I sold my old yeti asx frame to a guy in Indonesia and had to do something like that...

Thanks for the response.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
A new downhill frame. If you must ask why, I found a slammin deal on a really good frame. I couldn't find a deal like that around here if I wanted to. Don't know if you saw my other thread on Ridemonkey for 3 frame choices, but I am taking action and buying a frame shortly.

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
gifts are customs free (in the EU) but just to a limited amount like 100 $

but the seller have to put an invoice outside on the pakage
also the pakage is only insured to the amount of the invoice
and a serious shop will not fake the invoice

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Alright... I might buy one here in the states. Not sure yet if I want a canfield jedi my friend has for around the same price of a commencal for sale here in the states.

Thanks.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I was thinking the same thing... But they are a business, not just an individual seller or consumer, so doesn't that make a difference?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not certain but I think with CRC its the case because bicycles are excluded from regular duty fees to the US.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Usually when you import items into the us, it's up to the individual state to deal with the taxes. Some are militant about it, and some just let it slide. The value of the item doesn't really even seem to play a part in whether you get lucky or not.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Usually when you import items into the us, it's up to the individual state to deal with the taxes. Some are militant about it, and some just let it slide. The value of the item doesn't really even seem to play a part in whether you get lucky or not.
Hey Transcend, I sent you a pm. Also, I am not buying the one from over seas it turns out. I am either buying one for pretty cheap from a us dealer, or getting a canfield jedi. I AM TORN as to which one should get. I want to enjoy this bike, I race mainly, and I want to keep it for at least 2 seasons.

The last order from CRC I made I got nicked for customs. I have ordered from them a lot and that has been the one isolated case. I think it was like $20 more or less(basicly what shipping would have been if I had not made free shipping). I think it was quite random because when I went to pick it up and pay no one there had ever seen that happen before and didnt really know what documents needed to be signed and what the process was.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yep, tried... I am going to one for around the same price, about $200 more, it's a 2009 and comes with a few extra things too though (hub, seatpost, seat clamp lg1 guide) and I am buying it from a shop, so if/when I do crack it, I can get a new one.

Anyways, I figure I won't start a new thread over it, but how do frames crack? Is it usually to side-loads? Or just landing harshly (i.e. the riders weight in exponential form after doing a drop, etc)?