Quantcast

Buying a laptop soon, need advice...

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
I am looking to get a laptop in the next few weeks. I have been having trouble deciding on the following specs:

-512 mb or 1 gb of RAM?
-processor speed - is 1.73 enough?
-what brand?

I have done alot of internet research, but would like to get some advice based on hands-on-experience. Also, I will be using the laptop mainly for music, internet, and Microsoft apps (word, excel, etc.). I don't do any gaming and plan to take it with me traveling quite a bit.

I searched here, but only found a couple of threads.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
you don't need a high end performance machine for what you describe. instead buy the smallest and lightest laptop that you can afford.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
alot of crew here don t reply unless ya in the clique.. but i ll do my best... i was searchin for info on this very topic a few months ago... a good number of people here know computers... i m not much of a computer guy so take my advice as you see fit... my wife and i just got a dell inspiron 6000... 100 g hard drive, 1g ram, 2.0 processor, 15 1/2" widescreen...

negatives
- it isn t light
- more computer than we need ???

positives
- it s sick for travelling and chillin out watchin DVDs after snowboarding...
- fast
- 20 % off dell coupon (search online)... we saved 480 bucks...
- battery life (pay the $$ for the best battery)..

toshi has pretty good advice on this one...

hope that helps..

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
20% online coupon? If I find that I will definitely be getting a dell.

Size/weight are an issue, I will proabably go with a 15" screen, as the 17" seems huge.

Thanks for the help so far.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
nmjb said:
20% online coupon? If I find that I will definitely be getting a dell.

Size/weight are an issue, I will proabably go with a 15" screen, as the 17" seems huge.

Thanks for the help so far.
i dunno what coupons are available now, but it s always worth a look... the 17" is freakin massive and of course heavier... the best thing about DELL is that i get to chat to an indian / or paki (yeah i know - they aren t the same) about cricket if i need customer service :rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Keep an eye on bensbargains.net - he posts lots of deals on Dells, many far, far higher than 20% off.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
partsbara said:
i dunno what coupons are available now, but it s always worth a look... the 17" is freakin massive and of course heavier... the best thing about DELL is that i get to chat to an indian / or paki (yeah i know - they aren t the same) about cricket if i need customer service :rolleyes:
Haha - so true about the customer service- you gotta love outsourcing.

I've just been looking at dell coupons - seems like I should be able to find something. They are offering a $250 mail in rebate on the website, if I found something I could use in conjunction with that, I'd be set.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
if you can find more than 20% off a custom dell laptop then i d jump on it... i searched for a good while and that was the best deal i found...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i just bought a n HP pavilion (dv4000) today...$700 @ circuit city. not a high-powered machine, but the display is nice and big, and it's basically just an email/browsing machine for us.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
We're kind of an HP laptop family.

I first bought a Pavillion zd7000 series. A large 10lb "laptop" with a full keyboard (incl. numeric pad) and a 17"widescreen.

My wife then recently purchased a zd8000 series which is the next model up from mine.

I got my daughter a DV4000 for xmas. The 15" widescreen is crystal clear. The laptop is a little more manageable in size for travel.

All have an excellent array of features like built in memory card readers, at least 4 usb ports and a DVD burner.

My only complaint is the sensitivity of the touchpad for typing.

Mike

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Austin Bike said:
20% off a Dell is close to cost, depending on how you configured it. That's a good deal.
Dealer cost, maybe, but Dell is making plenty of profit off those laptops. There are a lot of deals from Dell that are a LOT more than 20% off.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Office Depot has Compaq's starting at $500. Fry's also has a sweet house brand machine that runs between $500 and $550.

If you don't know what your doing, then a Dell might be your best choice.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
I have an Apple PowerBook G4 that I love, but they are pretty pricy. If I didn't own a Mac I would buy an IBM Thinkpad. We have used the high end models at work for a long time now without any problems whatsoever. And if the users at work can't break them, then they must be pretty decent. Definetly go with the 1 GB of RAM in whatever brand you decide on.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
binary visions said:
Dealer cost, maybe, but Dell is making plenty of profit off those laptops. There are a lot of deals from Dell that are a LOT more than 20% off.

In this particular case I think I know a thing or two about this and 20% on particular models is a very good deal. Trust me, nobody in the hardware business is making steep profits.