Quantcast

Buying a New Hardtail vs. Used Full Suspension?

T-RO

Chimp
Nov 25, 2010
Deltona, FL
Looking for a new bike for my wife. Shes currently got an '02 Schwinn Mesa GS that needs some work. Im looking at replacing it rather than spending more money on it.

Budget is $600

This will be for local trail riding, singletrack stuff in Central Fl.

She is new to biking.

I can get an entry level 2011 hardtail with disk brakes(only requirement) from most manufacturers for that price.

Or ive seen some nice used older Full Suspension bikes for sale on forums in my price range.

What do you guys think?
Thanks!

Mar 1, 2010
Dayton, OH
Good question, Grasshopper. It think the bottom line is that you can buy an excellent basic hardtail on your budget, either from us or any number of competitors. Or you can inherit someone else's headache.

Mountain Bike Action has an excellent article on this in their current (April '11) issue with the title "How Long Should Your Bike Last?" Their editors say that under normal (= actually riding it regularly) use, things like rear shock and pivots have a one-year lifespan. Suspension forks are good for about two. This is consistent with my personal experience.

So unless your couple-years-old suspension bike was carefully wrapped in plastic and stored in the attic instead of actually being taken out and ridden, you're almost certainly looking at going way over budget by the time you get it working right.

The other concern is the components. In modestly priced full-sush bikes a huge percentage of the total price is spent on suspension. So the drivetrain/transmission and braking systems on your used dualie won't be nearly as nice as the new hardtail's-- even when that dualie was new.

Hope this helps.

--rick

PS: Depending on how hard your wife rides, there are new dual-suspension bikes that might work as a starter model, too. Both our company and others have some basic dualies that'll work with your budget.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I'd say it depends on terrain. If the trails are rough and/or your wife is fast, then a used FS might make sense. If not, a hardtail might do fine. Also, you could go a long way with $600 if you went for a lightly used hardtail.

b4stealth

Chimp
Nov 4, 2008
Mountain Bike Action has an excellent article on this in their current (April '11) issue with the title "How Long Should Your Bike Last?" Their editors say that under normal (= actually riding it regularly) use, things like rear shock and pivots have a one-year lifespan. Suspension forks are good for about two. This is consistent with my personal experience.

I am curious as to this. My bike is 2 years old, granted its a hardtail, but it has a Fox 36 talas up front. I have performed proactive maintenance on all the componetry and don't see it dying anytime soon. Especially the fork. Was this article written about people who rode their bikes but never gave any love and care? If I had a frame/rear shock and it conked out after a year I would be PISSED and looking for warranty help. I am not trying to start anything here, but can you explain a little more thoroughly?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I think it is ridiculous to replace a high quality suspension fork after two years, especially if it's operating smoothly. It would have to be serious abuse to upgrade such expensive parts regularly. I would venture to say that for most weekend warriors who's tires rarely leave the ground, that a nice fork or shock, like a fox, should last for 4-5 years with maintenance; especially if you buy the right model for your style of riding.

Last edited:

Tanis

Chimp
Apr 11, 2010
Yakima, WA
I think it is ridiculous to replace a high quality suspension fork after two years, especially if's operating smoothly. It would have to be serious abuse to upgrade such expensive parts regularly. I would venture to say that for most weekend warriors who's tires rarely leave the ground, that a nice fork or shock, like a fox, should last for 4-5 years with maintenance; especially if you buy the right model for your style of riding.
I concur Will ;)