Quantcast

buying a new vehicle

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Latecomer to the thread--the trusty '02 Subaru (H6) is having that pesky head gasket issue. Hubby is the mechanic, but has no time for this jobs with the rest of the cars/bikes/deck/bathroom/etc. that need work. We can have someone replace the whole engine for about $4k, with the potential issues it may come with, and the possibility of the tranny needing to be replaced at some point. So the question would be, lease/purchase a new car (increasing debt by $25-35k), or make $4k-10k in repairs. We just paid off all of our credit card debt, and the repairs would go there. I personally see this as a no-brainer (just keep the Ru going for a while longer), but alas, there is a debate. Whaddya think?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Latecomer to the thread--the trusty '02 Subaru (H6) is having that pesky head gasket issue. Hubby is the mechanic, but has no time for this jobs with the rest of the cars/bikes/deck/bathroom/etc. that need work. We can have someone replace the whole engine for about $4k, with the potential issues it may come with, and the possibility of the tranny needing to be replaced at some point. So the question would be, lease/purchase a new car (increasing debt by $25-35k), or make $4k-10k in repairs. We just paid off all of our credit card debt, and the repairs would go there. I personally see this as a no-brainer (just keep the Ru going for a while longer), but alas, there is a debate. Whaddya think?
Fix it.

Repair the car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Last I checked one can replace a head gasket without replacing the engine as a whole... :confused:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Last I checked one can replace a head gasket without replacing the engine as a whole... :confused:
Also this. Replacing the head gasket on a 2.0L should be about ~$1000. The tranny will be more, but is it the tranny or clutch?

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Yes, but engine has almost 300,000 miles, so the mechanic says to replace it all....

Also this. Replacing the head gasket on a 2.0L should be about ~$1000. The tranny will be more, but is it the tranny or clutch?
Yes, but Buffalo says... and I listen... when he is talking about cars anyway... :rofl:, and it is an automatic. It goes "clunk!" sometimes when I start from a stop, or accelerate hard. It could just be that I'm a terrible driver since Buffalo can't replicate the issue, that wouldn't surprise me, but it would please me to not have to worry about it!!! :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
3rd the head gasket repair. Find a shop that does a lot of them. We had our '97 repaired when it was at ~140K miles. It was about $1500 IIRC and that included them throwing in a new clutch while they had the motor out.

Let me guess - yours has an automatic?

Holy moly - 300K miles on the vehicle kinda changes the equation a bit. Has it had much suspension work done? Exhaust? CV joints?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Holy moly - 300K miles on the vehicle kinda changes the equation a bit. Has it had much suspension work done? Exhaust? CV joints?
I might change my position here as well. At 300k, you should have replaced everything by now. I would almost say buy a later model outback/legacy wagon (2006-20010) and move on. You can pick one up with <75k for about $15k. Going through a dealer, you should be able to get a sub-2% rate and can probably refi it for less at a credit union.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
3rd the head gasket repair. Find a shop that does a lot of them. We had our '97 repaired when it was at ~140K miles. It was about $1500 IIRC and that included them throwing in a new clutch while they had the motor out.

Let me guess - yours has an automatic?

Well... maybe a little? Buffalo knows all, he did all the work (he is a mechanic by trade, and a very good one). I know he fixed a squeak that sounded like some hard rep on an old mattress and it used to pull to the right pretty bad after I hit that curb at mach 20...

I might change my position here as well. At 300k, you should have replaced everything by now. I would almost say buy a later model outback/legacy wagon (2006-20010) and move on. You can pick one up with <75k for about $15k. Going through a dealer, you should be able to get a sub-2% rate and can probably refi it for less at a credit union.
If we DO get a new vehicle, he is leaning towards a Beemer. Mainly because he's a mechanic for BMW and might be able to get a deal on either leasing or buying a newer car or trade in. He also has allllll the tools for those cars, which is useful when making repairs. Now. I like the idea of getting to drive a sexy car like that, but I dislike the idea of the debt.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well... maybe a little? Buffalo knows all, he did all the work (he is a mechanic by trade, and a very good one). I know he fixed a squeak that sounded like some hard rep on an old mattress and it used to pull to the right pretty bad after I hit that curb at mach 20...

If we DO get a new vehicle, he is leaning towards a Beemer. Mainly because he's a mechanic for BMW and might be able to get a deal on either leasing or buying a newer car or trade in. He also has allllll the tools for those cars, which is useful when making repairs. Now. I like the idea of getting to drive a sexy car like that, but I dislike the idea of the debt.
Understandable. However the only Subie specific tool you need is none. You would just need an OBD-II reader. Every other tool for my Subies came from Sears. They are stupid easy to work on too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003

Never EVER buy a car you couldn't pay cash for. Finance rates are (were?) pretty retardedly low, so it may make sense to finance... but don't base the decision on how much to spend on a car on financing.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Never EVER buy a car you couldn't pay cash for. Finance rates are (were?) pretty retardedly low, so it may make sense to finance... but don't base the decision on how much to spend on a car on financing.
We bought Wifey's Forester with a loan because the rate is 1.09%. It's cheaper for me to pay that, and make money with the principle.

That being said, SS is right. If you don't have the cash (or at least most of it) available, don't buy it. If you have the cash and the rates are low enough, just take the loan and keep the cash as reserve.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
or you could get a diesel 4wd sprinter. now that they're available in the US and all :brows:
Totes! Whitey could use a companion!! That big bad boy looks so lonely without a Sprinter... plus we could use another room for the kid and dogs!! ;)

Yes, this is where my main concern is. We JUST paid off an atrocious amount of debt and I do NOT want to do anything that would put us back in that position. The priority is to live cheap, pay shit off, and play. If we can get the Ru to run... that would be ideal. He took it to the shop today, fingers crossssed!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Yes, this is where my main concern is. We JUST paid off an atrocious amount of debt and I do NOT want to do anything that would put us back in that position. The priority is to live cheap, pay shit off, and play. If we can get the Ru to run... that would be ideal. He took it to the shop today, fingers crossssed!
Debt sucks. The last time I carried any non-mortgage/auto debt was 1999 when the wifee and I spent the summer in Europe. Hell - the last time I carried auto debt was 200...4-ish?

Debt-free rules.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You took a few months to pay off your F-150 recently, iirc.

/me has a small mortgage worth of student loans and a new actual mortgage in the near term future

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
You took a few months to pay off your F-150 recently, iirc.

/me has a small mortgage worth of student loans and a new actual mortgage in the near term future
Post credit cards and paying off the Ru we still have mortgage, student loans, and a full equity line. Enough! I say Enough!

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Dear god, I have met the enemy and they are the CA DMV. If you every buy out of state, get it registered in the purchasing state then bring it to your home state and register it there. It's not nearly the pain in the arse of Buying it, bringing it in with title, Bill of sale, smog cert but not purchase state registration. two hours of inspections and paperwork $4400 in fees and sales tax and we got the plates with the caviat that the auditor will probably kick it back on title details and it will be up to us to iron it out with the Texas Auto Dealer that sold it to us. If kicked back our plates get voided, but they keep the money while we deal with the other party. so much fun

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dear god, I have met the enemy and they are the CA DMV. If you every buy out of state, get it registered in the purchasing state then bring it to your home state and register it there. It's not nearly the pain in the arse of Buying it, bringing it in with title, Bill of sale, smog cert but not purchase state registration. two hours of inspections and paperwork $4400 in fees and sales tax and we got the plates with the caviat that the auditor will probably kick it back on title details and it will be up to us to iron it out with the Texas Auto Dealer that sold it to us. If kicked back our plates get voided, but they keep the money while we deal with the other party. so much fun
That's what you get for buying a bro truck. From Texas.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dealers push for a lot of laws like that to protect the "dealer network". It used to be good a long time ago, to ensure that you would have a place you could take your car that was within a reasonable distance, but it's gone bat-crazy in some places with small towns that have no business having dealerships and multiple dealerships in bigger towns that are just redundant, subsidized by the price you pay for the car. That's one reason they are so afraid of Tesla. They want to make it a total PITA to go through a dealer in another state.

Although I just bought a brand brand new car, if the local price isn't agreeable go private party and buy a barely-used vehicle, you save more than just the depreciation, there's usually all the BS involved with window tint, clear armor, accessories, other stupid fees and costs, etc.