Quantcast

Buying a Transition Covert frame -- can I move all my parts from my Chameleon over?

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
I have a Santa Cruz Chameleon set up as a 1x10..Bombproof bike right now..But I bought it custom and am not sure on the BB for the Covert. I assume the parts could just move over to the Covert easily..Any thoughts?

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
You'll need a new headset for the Covert. Seatpost and clamp are larger on the Covert, and the bb shell is 73 vs. 68, but your cranks will fit fine. What rear spacing did you get on the Covert, 135 or 142?

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
I haven't bought it yet, but I assume the spacing on my Cham is 135mm, correct? I have some sweet White Industries hubs laced to Mavics and definitely don't want to just sell off those wheels. The cranks are great too, Magura Hydraulics, the works man..Seat, etc, not a problem. Thanks

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Magura Hydro Disc..Problem with that you think? Thanks, this is helpful! I haven't kept up with bike mechanics in 3-4 years

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
O, haha..For some reason I read "RIM" like an acronym..You meant like a V-brake. I some some of those on my old Tonic Fall Guy -- could stop a tank! No, these are Disc. So, I'd just need a new BB to fit my cranks on, eh?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I think your BB would be fine. Usually just spacers changing it from 73-68, depending on the brand.

Honestly this would be easier if you posted a pic of the bike, or put up a parts list.

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, I'm sure, my bad. I'm up in VT now and the bike is back in Mass. I can throw some pics up in time and maybe you'll still be able to help -- if I'm lucky. I can tell you the crank is a Shimano SLX

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Sweet, thanks for the help, man. It has a Fox Float 32 on it. I'm wondering now if that fork has enough travel for the Covert

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Just gonna throw this out there, but maybe you should email/call Transition, they'll be super helpful. And, you could always consider the Bandit instead of the Covert for a shorter travel option.

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
That's a great idea..I'm probably thinking I'll just buy another fork (probably used) and throw my current Fox on my Mob. Can anyone recommend a good fork for the Covert that will fit a skewer (QR) and have a lockout? First fully so I'm not positive on the appropriate travel. Also, does the RP23 have a lockout? Man, I hope so. Thanks!

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
The Covert is a 6" frame designed around a 6" travel single crown fork like the Fox 36 or Rock Shox Lyrik, you're not going to find a fork like that with a quick release axle - for good reason. You won't find many options over 130mm with a QR axle.

The rear shock is an RP23, which does not have a lock out. It has Propedal, but that's not the same thing.

If you're set on the Covert, you'll need a new fork and a new front hub/wheel with a 20mm axle. But based on your desire for lockout suspension and QR axles, I'm not sure it's the right bike for you.

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
That makes a lot of sense. Once you go with a T-axle, etc, the bike starts getting heavier, no doubt. Thanks a lot for the help here! I'm guessing the Bandit, however, could use a QR fork, correct? It definitely has less travel.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
The Bandit is deisgned around a 140mm fork, like a Fox 32, RS Revelation, etc. You can find 140mm forks in QR axles. That said, and I think everyone on this forum would agree, a through axle fork is the way to go for aggressive riding. Personally, I won't ride anything else on my trailbike.

You didn't mention the travel of your current fork, but be advised that while a shorter fork may fit the Bandit, it will change the geometry. It already has a low bottom bracket (13.2") and a shorter fork will drop it farther, in addition to steepening the head angle. Those may not be issues for you, but something to keep in mind.

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks a lot for all the advice..It's been immensely helpful. In fact, I started thinking the Nomad might be a better option for me Since all my parts are on the Chameleon, I have to think many of my parts would transfer over. I know the front fork doesn't have the right travel (or headtube size for that matter), but I assume the Nomad has a similar BB and horizontal rear dropouts..My current wheel (with the White Industries hub) has a beefy skewer (maybe 10mm)..Maybe that can sit in a vertical dropout too. I've got to get pics up!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
That makes a lot of sense. Once you go with a T-axle, etc, the bike starts getting heavier, no doubt. Thanks a lot for the help here! I'm guessing the Bandit, however, could use a QR fork, correct? It definitely has less travel.
A through Axle is not going to add a whole lot of weight to your bike. Larger, longer travel forks are a bit heavier, but if you are getting a 6in bike, it really pays to have a similarly matched fork (at least 140mm I would say).

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Here are the options for various parts

Head-tubes (and headset)- Too many to list, but you have 1.125 and 1.5... some are tapered, some are integrated etc. 1.5in can be reduced though.

Forks - must match the Headset as far as steerer size (1.125, 1.5, or taper) and then you have QR, 15mm and 20mm axle options

Rear dropouts - 135mm, 142mm, 150mm All 150's are through axle as far as I know. Not sure on 142

BB - 68/73 (interchangable with a spacer usually) 83mm and even a few 85s.

Front derailer - Top pull, bottom pull etc

Seat-tube - many sizes... Std now is 30.9 or 31.6