Quantcast

Buying a used bike hauler this weekend.

What shoud i buy?

• Total voters

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Make a push cart, go to Jamaica, crash into a shack, start a bob sled team, get told you can't race, get told you can race, crash in a corner, then eat pancakes and with all the fame quit the mandatory coke habit and use that money to buy a truck.

I could go more into detail, but I need to go for a bike ride, and am pressed for time.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
If it is a GMC... it is a sierra not silverado...if it has the extra cab ..that is the one I would get...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If all you want to do with it is haul a single bike, then I guess a Subaru. But if you plan on doing other things, hauling multiple bikes/people, then the GMC might be a good choice.

I wouldn't consider a baja, ever.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
jimmydean said:
If all you want to do with it is haul a single bike, then I guess a Subaru. But if you plan on doing other things, hauling multiple bikes/people, then the GMC might be a good choice.

I wouldn't consider a baja, ever.
Great for bikes OR mopeds.

:rolleyes:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have had Subarus, and have Subarus now, and probably will for some time to come... one thing I notice is that they always keep their resale value... you may want to look at brand new ones, the dealers around me have cut me deals on my last 2 at such a good price it was only $1500. more than a used one with 30k miles on it. and sometimes they are running great percentage rates... dont try to take food off of the salespersons table, he and his family need to eat... but don't be afraid to wheel and deal for yourself...

good luck

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not sure exactly what you'll use it for on a regular basis but for me the choice is easy: Get the Cherokee if it's a standard, 6 cyl, and 4X4. Plenty of room for bikes and gear, real off-road capability, cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure, cheaper to fix, and (IMO) more style than any of the other choices.

Subarus make sense but I just can't get down with them.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey man got your pm, been busy....

anyways.

i've been very happy with my Outback. Legacy doesn't have the clearance and space, and the baja is pretty dumb. Why not have a hatchback to keep stuff dry in the back....

Trucks are nice too and have better clearance, but the outback handles so great and if you drive careful can make it on some tough back roads just fine.

i was lucky mine came with a hitch so i didn't have to pay for that. i purchased Yakima rack with locks, and locks for the trays. i have Sportworks trays/bike holders, and i don't have to take the rack off.

Work play blah blah blah everythings been good with that car.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
i say get the jeep, just because im basically in love with jeep. on the plus side, if you get the cherokee and decide to wheel it, axle modifications are easy plus there are tons of parts out for them

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I've got a new outback impreza, and to be honest, I wouldn't go for it. Unless, of course, you're willing to invest in a rack. I love mine to death, but I really don't use it to do anything besides hauling two or three bikes to trail heads. No shuttle runs for this cat - not enough space.

I plan on getting some of those yakima roll-on racks and a hitch, but that costs money, so I'm not going to go out of my way to spend it.

Sappy-pollution has a pretty sweet jeep. You'd probably end up getting a hitchrack for that, too, but the thing can definently hand more terrain.

I'd really just go for the GMC, though. Just because, you know, I'm lazy, and racks take too much work.

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
I love my Subaru Outback but it makes a marginal bike hauler. The roof is too low for hauling you bikes inside. If you want to stand you bikes upright, you will encounter that a hight seatpost or bars almost touches the the headliner. You'd better plan on getting a roof rack or hitch mounted rack.

gofast

Chimp
Mar 4, 2006
Frontrange of CO.
Get the 03 Subaru Legacy, better gas milage than that GMC thing. Subaru+bikes=sweet! (Just don't get the Forester, it's the #1 car for Lesbians, I think that Baja will take it's place though)

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Outback all the way, I love mine. Especially if you find yourself living in your car for short periods of time as I often do. The GM is a deal but you'll probably pay the difference in Gas as prices skyrocket this summer.

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
I want to thank everyone for there insight, But 3 of the deals fell through yesterday and i ended buying one i was considering, but did not make my top 5. I got a 2001 Niassn Frontier Desert Runner for with 47k miles for 13025 out the door including Gap Insurance.

Aug 14, 2005
New York
I have a 2001 jeep cherokee with a roof rack, and i like how i can usually make it to the trailhead because its not so huge like a full size pickup, but it still will throw some mud. Plus the Jeep has heritage like no other