Quantcast

Buying bikes and test rides

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
We don't stock a lot of bikes for women, although I do like the line that we do carry, Specialized.

However, I noticed most women want to test ride bikes, moreso than the men.

For the cheap bikes, I have most models, but the higher end ones we are slow to move. I try to have different sizes in different models so if we do not have the exact model, we might have a similar size in another bike.

I have some theories why this is, but does anyone here any comments?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Women, generally speaking, like to shop more. Guys, general speaking again, don't try on or out stuff, they just buy it and hope it will work.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Short answer:
I'd agree with H in that at least I am a try before you buy kind of person.

Long answer:

I think stocking a range of sizes is critical. I got incredibly lucky this time around for a bike purchase, but last time...
I had about 2K to spend, and no one, not in 11 shops in the county had a decent (high-end) FS in my size (small) I think there was one Specialized S in the whole city. I heard a lot of, "we can order you blah blah blah but you'd have to buy it.". Well folks, ain't no way I'm laying out $2K on a bike in hopes that it will fit. I also heard, "no one makes a fs in your size" but that's another tale. I was ready to take a road trip to another city when I found a lightly used bike that was perfect.

I'm well aware that you can't tie up a lot of inventory in pricey bikes. But if you do have a good frame size selection, you are more likely to make a sale if something is a close enough fit so the frame is right. It's not much of a jump to upgrade the compenent package if you know the bike fits.

Heh, this time around, LBS guy had a demo bike in the back that was perfect for me....(stumpy FSR expert ridden 3 times)

Bottom line, for women, try to stock a couple smalls in FS. Downhill, freeride, and all-mountain are getting more popular and alot more chicks want to go ride the mountain with their boyfriends. Your best bet is to stock 2 smalls and 2 mediums of some midrange bikes. Let the women try those, if they like them but have more to spend or want an upgraded model, talk them up and show them the catalogue. Thats what we do in our shop and it tends to work pretty well. We have it worse off than you. We have such a small shop and have maybe, maybe 1 or 2 WSD bikes. We really have to get creative in how we pitch and sell.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Short answer:
I'd agree with H in that at least I am a try before you buy kind of person.

Long answer:

I think stocking a range of sizes is critical. I got incredibly lucky this time around for a bike purchase, but last time...
I had about 2K to spend, and no one, not in 11 shops in the county had a decent (high-end) FS in my size (small) I think there was one Specialized S in the whole city. I heard a lot of, "we can order you blah blah blah but you'd have to buy it.". Well folks, ain't no way I'm laying out $2K on a bike in hopes that it will fit. I also heard, "no one makes a fs in your size" but that's another tale. I was ready to take a road trip to another city when I found a lightly used bike that was perfect.

I'm well aware that you can't tie up a lot of inventory in pricey bikes. But if you do have a good frame size selection, you are more likely to make a sale if something is a close enough fit so the frame is right. It's not much of a jump to upgrade the compenent package if you know the bike fits.

Heh, this time around, LBS guy had a demo bike in the back that was perfect for me....(stumpy FSR expert ridden 3 times)
Definitely agree with this.
I like to test-ride for fit & feel and generally don't like to buy a bike that I haven't tried as it's a large investment.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I don't think it's because women like shopping, at least not for me. I just want to have the damn bike, I hate shopping. But men have it easier in that they can try their buddies' bikes for fit and feel. I'm not small but even if a guy is somewhat my height his bike is probably set up stiffer for the added weight. I'm generally riding with guys so those would be the only bikes I could try out.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
The toughest part is that most shops carry medium/large frames on the floor. This is understandable, as they are most likely to sell, and no one wants to be stuck with something in inventory that will not sell. Those that take XL or XS frame sizes are stuck.