Quantcast

Buying bikes off Ebay

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm just curious if anyone has any good/bad experiences with buying a bike off of ebay? I've been considering buying a road bike this way, but I've heard from a lot of people that you have to be very cautious.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Go for it if they have good feedback! Ive sold 2 or 3 bikes on ebay, everything on my end went fine, but there are stupid buyers that think $40 to ship a complete DH bike is way over priced!

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Roll of the dice... and if you get screwed, Ebay wont do damn thing - other than let you give a negative feedback.

Personally - I would never buy anything worth more than $500 off of Ebay.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
merrrrjig said:
Go for it if they have good feedback! Ive sold 2 or 3 bikes on ebay, everything on my end went fine, but there are stupid buyers that think $40 to ship a complete DH bike is way over priced!
:stupid: I've sold bikes, and purchased lost of parts on eBay with no problems. Read the feedback first though!!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Slugman said:
Roll of the dice... and if you get screwed, Ebay wont do damn thing - other than let you give a negative feedback.

Personally - I would never buy anything worth more than $500 off of Ebay.
If you pay with PayPal and usea credit card you have the PayPal buyer protection (though it's only 500.00 I think) and your CC's buyer protection to fall back on.

I have bought many bike parts, and frames off of e-bay. Only got screwed once and that was because some scumbag stole the box off my porch.

I find that you need to check the feedback of the seller, and contact them first. Even better is if you can find a local seller and go check out the frame or bike yourself. Ask for extra pics from specific angles, and nver buy from out of the country.

Good luck.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
bluebug32 said:
right and it's difficult to really assess the condition on ebay. Anywhere else where bikes can be found a little cheaper than retail?
Other than classified adds on sites such as these ebay is usually your best bet. As mentioned, look at the feedback, it should give you a good indication as to the integrity of the seller. You can always request more photographs from the seller, and ask questions, so I would feel free and ask away for every conceivable detail, especially if the bike is worth a considerable amount of money. Beyond that and buyer protection from PayPal its all up in the air.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
WHEN CHECKING FEEDBACK:

Click on the items and make sure they didn't just buy a bunch of $2 trinkets and pay immidiately to develop feedback.
I've seen a few people selling things this way. They buy lots of random, cheap crap to develop good feedback, then start selling lot's of expensive items and split with the cash.

It's nice if they actually sold things. Especially good if they've sold other bike stuff before.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Actually, how I found out about this was I google'd a sellers user name and found a message board where people were saying he was the same as _______ (other now deleted ebay user name).
The guy was selling the same crap, using the same pics as before and walking off with the cash.

As soon as I read his feedback in detail, it became painfully obvious.

Tyman

Monkey
Apr 11, 2005
Alberta, Canada
try and find a (buy it now thing) then you can email him and tell him you will buy it for what he asked for it then go to the house and buy it

J

JRB

What size??? I know of a decent deal on a Giant TCR2. It's a small though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I bought a Norco Torrent online. The guy had good feedback and everything went smoothly. The only blip, I bought it from Canada, and I had to pay an extra $100 for customs. My fault though. Still a great deal.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I have sold several bikes on Ebay (even some out of the Country)
and bought my Surly on Ebay, its just like most have said check their feedback and check what they sell & buy, the more pics the better, and of course the standard if it seems to good to be true- it ain't.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
I am on my second E-Bike both have turned out to be amazing deals, but I watched for them for about 3 weeks and I would not recomend doing it if you don't know what to look for (scum sellers) I will say that now with all the ebay stores out there you will most likely only find bikes around 10-30% off retail factor in shipping and most of the time you get a better deal at a LBS sale

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
ive sold a few frames through ebay.... I feel i am an honest guy so the deal was good for the other person, but I am sure there are people out there just looking to rip other people off... seller feedback is always a good way to weed out the bad ones

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my two DH bikes were gotten from ebay, and i was very happy w/ the price i paid and the condition of the bikes. have also bought a fork, and a bunch of parts.

look at it this way...classifieds like this site and MTBR have no feedback systems at all...at least you get that from ebay. as always, caveat emptor.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I have had no problems selling on Ebay...and I do sell complete bikes....but they are almost always new....just check feedback...and I mean check it! Some folks will leave a positive to avoid retaliation but if you actually read the feedback...it should have been a negative. As far as Ebay and Paypal helping you out...forget it. I have needed their help on occassion and it was a complete waste of my time. I ended up having to "visit" the seller and work it out in person...D