Quantcast

Buying new PC, need help(graphics card).

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by steve45, Dec 13, 2005.

1. steve45

steve45 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    ok a long shot here but i'm looking for a bit of buying advice.
    instead of typing it all out again, i'll just copy and paste my post from another forum.
    anyway all help will be greatly appreciated

Please register to disable this ad.

2. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    80 / 354
    The cooling stuff and cables will be included IF you bought the retail packages of the CPU and the motherboard. If they're OEM, you won't get anything but a brown box and the part.

An nForce4 motherboard might be a better choice, the drivers are usually rock solid.

It all looks good but don't go too cheap on the power supply. If you're spending less than $40 on a 400W PS, you're running the risk of cooking all of your new hardware.

I've got a 6600GT card that I've been very pleased with. XFX and Gigabyte both make excellent products - flip a coin unless one package or the other comes with a particular game you'd like.

3. steve45

steve45 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    thanks for the heads up on the PSU, will look into a case without a PSU and buy a better PSU seperate. dont want take chances.

think i've found a MOBO with nForce4 that looks ok.
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...1143&NavigationKey=11143,40239,4294959021&v=2
    only around £10 extra.

4. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    80 / 354
    Yep, that's a good motherboard.

Antec power supplies tend to be reliable and reasonably priced. I got a Thermaltake TR2 that I took a little bit of a chance on (it was pretty inexpensive) but I have a friend who had one for a year or so and it's been fine - it's been good for me, no complaints.

5. Pau11y

Pau11y Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    Hey, I have the SLI version of this board. You'll like the sound! I have mine hooked into a 5.1 receiver and it will do great playing DVDs w/ the nVidia PureVideo soft decoder. You'll just need a vid card that can deal w/ things and the 6600 will do just fine. There are a lot of features for OCing :D

Edit: as for PSUs I really like Enermax. I think they're a bit on the expensive side tho, but I haven't had one fail yet and I have an old one from the PIII 1ghz days still kicking strong. Just read your post more carefully. There's no reason to upgrade the onboard sound, seriously, unless you're thinking of doing some ripping from analog to digital where you might want something like a Gina or a Darla. For straight output, the onboard will suit just fine.

6. steve45

steve45 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    thanks very much guys:thumb:
    you have been very helpful.

have ordered pretty much everything except case and PSU.

think i'll go for a Coolermaster Centurion 532 case, still not sure on the PSU yet, just looking for a good deal on one, will order both in the morning.
    also changed my mind on the ram, just changed the 1gb(2x 512mb) PC3200 corsair value ram to 1gb(2x512mb) PC3200 geil value ram with pretty alu heatspreaders:o: and lower latency rating, for exactly the same price.

7. blue

blue boob hater

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    I have the Giga 6600 GT 128mb. Solid card, SLi option, and relatively cheap. I think I'm just going to SLi mine when they come down in price enough. It's currently OC'd and runs at about the level of a 6800 GT.