Quantcast

Buying steel hardtail. Surly or...

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
So I got the go ahead to purchase a hardtail from the wife, probably a used Surly Instigator I found on the interweb. STOKED!:

I set up a payment with the guy but I haven't heard from him in a couple of days...so got to thinking - is there any other steel hardtail out there I could get complete for a similar price ($600 or less)? Doubt it...but if'n yall have any leads. The ideal bike would be like a Chromag w/ 69 deg. HA, trail-and-DJ worthy. I thought about a Steelhead new but getting a build kit it'd still run me probably $1000. Oh and the reason for the OK is winter fitness...gonna use this to spin on a new trainer this winter. Thoughts appreciated!

p.s. I saw the other steel hardtail thread but just curious specifically if yall thought I could do better than this used Instigator I found for $600 (XT drivetrain, rigid fork, new tires, Thompson post/stem)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

stinsonblvd

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Seattle
Surlys are great bikes, but I am not so sure about the Instigator. I had two friends that bought them the same year and both got rid of their instigators after a year.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
smedford said:
Man I wish I did not sell that. I you ever want to get rid of it, give me first shot, I gave my other one to my brother
I gave it to my son. He rocks the full rigid all over the place. Changed it to single ring up front and ditched the grip shift, and it's sweet. I put hookworms on it and it makes the perfect urban monster.

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
STEELHEADS ROCK!!! I have heard folks say the instigator is just to XC styled for their liking. I love my Steelhead. I have ridden the Mountain Cycle Rumble and its an asss of a bike, it cracked way too easy. Stay away from bikes with a monostay mounting to the seattube. I vae ridden the Giant STP which is another ROCKIN bike but is just tooo stiff for me. Konas are the same, too stiff. If you want steal I say AZONIC rocks for the price, buy stuff used. I have most of the parts myself sitting in the garage. So do alot of guys out here. Just post what you want and you will most likely find it.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Yeah I had the same concerns about the angles on the Instigator...71 degree HA...yikes!

On another note I stopped by my local shop and found an IH Yakuza Chimpira on sale...but I'm confused. Frame is gray (not blue like the 05s) and it comes with a Stance Flow...not the crappy Suntour.

It would be wicked stiff for trail riding but felt really good on a parking lot test ride. Anybody have experience using one as a dual duty trail/DJ bike? And anybody know what is up with the color/parts spec?

SpK

Chimp
Oct 4, 2005
I have a Surly Instigator right now and personally, I love it. I ride it as a singlespeed with a 5" travel fork on the front and can do pretty much everything I do on my full suspension, just a little slower.

Honestly, it is one of my favorite bikes that I have ever ridden. The geometry fits me just right for aggressive trailriding and light freeride. The steel gives a nice compliant feel compared to an aluminum hardtail and Surly's are built rock solid. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone breaking an Instigator.

Bottom line, the Instigator is not a pure jump bike, not a pure urban bike, not a pure freeride bike and not a pure trailbike. It does everything pretty well, trail and freeride better than jumping.

I would snap that bad boy up for $600. That bike should last you a nice long time. Besides, none of those other bikes come in ugly ass orange or yellow.

SpK

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Well the Instigator guy crapped out on me. Sooo I picked up the Yakuza this morning :D The old owner of the shop swapped out a bunch of parts on a Chimpira so I'm getting the Stance Flow, Funn stem, and some other goodies for dirt cheap. Time to beat myself silly on a hardtail! Haven't ridden one in like 5 years...yikes!