Quantcast

Buying steel hardtail. Surly or...

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by Summit, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Summit

Summit Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    So I got the go ahead to purchase a hardtail from the wife, probably a used Surly Instigator I found on the interweb. STOKED!:

I set up a payment with the guy but I haven't heard from him in a couple of days...so got to thinking - is there any other steel hardtail out there I could get complete for a similar price ($600 or less)? Doubt it...but if'n yall have any leads. The ideal bike would be like a Chromag w/ 69 deg. HA, trail-and-DJ worthy. I thought about a Steelhead new but getting a build kit it'd still run me probably $1000. Oh and the reason for the OK is winter fitness...gonna use this to spin on a new trainer this winter. Thoughts appreciated!

p.s. I saw the other steel hardtail thread but just curious specifically if yall thought I could do better than this used Instigator I found for $600 (XT drivetrain, rigid fork, new tires, Thompson post/stem)

#1 -   Nov 9, 2005

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jimmydean

jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep/Likes:
    172 / 1,442
    #2 -   Nov 9, 2005
  3. smedford

smedford Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Man I wish I did not sell that. I you ever want to get rid of it, give me first shot, I gave my other one to my brother

#3 -   Nov 9, 2005
  4. stinsonblvd

stinsonblvd Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Surlys are great bikes, but I am not so sure about the Instigator. I had two friends that bought them the same year and both got rid of their instigators after a year.

#4 -   Nov 9, 2005
  5. jimmydean

jimmydean The Official Meat of Ridemonkey

Rep/Likes:
    172 / 1,442
    I gave it to my son. He rocks the full rigid all over the place. Changed it to single ring up front and ditched the grip shift, and it's sweet. I put hookworms on it and it makes the perfect urban monster.

#5 -   Nov 9, 2005
  6. pangeist

pangeist Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    STEELHEADS ROCK!!! I have heard folks say the instigator is just to XC styled for their liking. I love my Steelhead. I have ridden the Mountain Cycle Rumble and its an asss of a bike, it cracked way too easy. Stay away from bikes with a monostay mounting to the seattube. I vae ridden the Giant STP which is another ROCKIN bike but is just tooo stiff for me. Konas are the same, too stiff. If you want steal I say AZONIC rocks for the price, buy stuff used. I have most of the parts myself sitting in the garage. So do alot of guys out here. Just post what you want and you will most likely find it.

#6 -   Nov 9, 2005
  7. Sir_Crackien

Sir_Crackien Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    my only complain with the instgator that i onwed was that the angle felt all wrong to me. not a bad bike just not for me

#7 -   Nov 9, 2005
  8. Summit

Summit Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Yeah I had the same concerns about the angles on the Instigator...71 degree HA...yikes!

On another note I stopped by my local shop and found an IH Yakuza Chimpira on sale...but I'm confused. Frame is gray (not blue like the 05s) and it comes with a Stance Flow...not the crappy Suntour.

It would be wicked stiff for trail riding but felt really good on a parking lot test ride. Anybody have experience using one as a dual duty trail/DJ bike? And anybody know what is up with the color/parts spec?

#8 -   Nov 9, 2005
  9. SpK

SpK Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have a Surly Instigator right now and personally, I love it. I ride it as a singlespeed with a 5" travel fork on the front and can do pretty much everything I do on my full suspension, just a little slower.

Honestly, it is one of my favorite bikes that I have ever ridden. The geometry fits me just right for aggressive trailriding and light freeride. The steel gives a nice compliant feel compared to an aluminum hardtail and Surly's are built rock solid. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone breaking an Instigator.

Bottom line, the Instigator is not a pure jump bike, not a pure urban bike, not a pure freeride bike and not a pure trailbike. It does everything pretty well, trail and freeride better than jumping.

I would snap that bad boy up for $600. That bike should last you a nice long time. Besides, none of those other bikes come in ugly ass orange or yellow.

SpK

#9 -   Nov 9, 2005
  10. Summit

Summit Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Well the Instigator guy crapped out on me. Sooo I picked up the Yakuza this morning :D The old owner of the shop swapped out a bunch of parts on a Chimpira so I'm getting the Stance Flow, Funn stem, and some other goodies for dirt cheap. Time to beat myself silly on a hardtail! Haven't ridden one in like 5 years...yikes!

11. Summit

Summit Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Here she is...upgrades will be coming but not bad for now...and way better than stock Chimpira spec :D

Attached Files:

12. Urban FR'er 666

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    smack-dab-in-the-middle of NY(state, not city)!
    A note on the surly instigator: I owned one, and w/the way they sevearly flatten the chain-stays to clear big tires, makes the rear end very flexxy, and is espescially noticeable when you stand up to charge a stunt/jump. My friend I sold it to also complained of this.