Quantcast

Buzzed driving intervention

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One of my buddies tosses 6-7 pints back in a 2-3 hour span before heading home.

I suppose it is not that high, and he hasn't been in an accident or received a ticket.

But it does seem like he is pushing the DUI limit.

Think I should say something?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Nah, saying something to him would be pointless, he won't hear you. Let him learn the hard way. Just don't get in the car with him.

Drunk drivers suck !

edit: Having the slightest buzz is considered legally drunk, in NC anyways.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Unless he's a raging alcoholic, I bet he'll listen. I think you should say something.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Nah, saying something to him would be pointless, he won't hear you. Let him learn the hard way. Just don't get in the car with him.

Drunk drivers suck !

edit: Having the slightest buzz is considered legally drunk, in NC anyways.
So you're saying don't even bother because the odds of success are low? And learning the hard way could be killing himself or someone else. It's worth a shot. If he won't listen, there may not be much else you can do, but it would be irresponsible not to try IMO.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
So you're saying don't even bother because the odds of success are low? And learning the hard way could be killing himself or someone else. It's worth a shot. If he won't listen, there may not be much else you can do, but it would be irresponsible not to try IMO.
If he's old enough to drink, then he has no excuse for not knowing better. Almost 100% of the time confronting someone who has a drinking problem is pointless. They just will not listen or will become confrontational. Knocking back 6-7pints in a 2 hour period is a pretty good indicator of a problem.

You just cannot help someone who doesn't want it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i wouldnt let that fvck drive. i hate drunk drivers and wish theyd crash and only hurt themselves....but we all know that never is the case

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If he's old enough to drink, then he has no excuse for not knowing better. Almost 100% of the time confronting someone who has a drinking problem is pointless. They just will not listen or will become confrontational. Knocking back 6-7pints in a 2 hour period is a pretty good indicator of a problem.

You just cannot help someone who doesn't want it.
First of all, I'm a lightweight drinker [insert Asian joke here]. So I couldn't have 6-7 pints at one sitting period.

And while it is a good friend, I understand that there is so much I could do. I could snatch the keys away but I am not going to be there every time he has a drink and gets into his car.

In San Francisco, we have a lot of options for travel. I had 3 pints myself last night, but I rode my bike so I wasn't too worried about it.

Maybe I am going to have to recommend riding and busing before driving.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
bike is a "vehicle" in the CA Vehicle code. you can get a DUI ticket for riding over the limit.

you can't stop him, but you can have the brass to say something. there will be a bit less blood on your hands when the shiz goes down if you at least speak your mind.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
btw - you say he is your friend, so much so that you will go behind his back and spill his drama on the web, but you won't man-up and call him on this to his face? think about it.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
bike is a "vehicle" in the CA Vehicle code. you can get a DUI ticket for riding over the limit.

you can't stop him, but you can have the brass to say something. there will be a bit less blood on your hands when the shiz goes down if you at least speak your mind.
While your intentions are admirable, you are not responsible for his actions.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

I know I am subject to the same laws, but several things: it is extremely unlikely I will hurt anyone but myself on a bicycle, it is extremely unlikely I will get pulled over for DUI on a bicycle, exercising sobers you up, and that I don't really drink that much.

I don't want to derail the thread into a "Biking and Drinking" thread though.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Interesting how you claim to confront random strangers for their transgressions, however subjective and/or petty, yet you're too big a gash to speak directly to a friend. Maybe you could text him so you're eballs are engaged.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
btw - you say he is your friend, so much so that you will go behind his back and spill his drama on the web, but you won't man-up and call him on this to his face? think about it.
Interesting how you claim to confront random strangers for their transgressions, however subjective and/or petty, yet you're too big a gash to speak directly to a friend. Maybe you could text him so you're eballs are engaged.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
6-7 pints? That's quite a lot of beer. He must have been pretty smashed. Especially if he is Asian.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You got some eballs yourself. And no complaining when I return the favor....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Anyway, I decided to talk to him about his driving drunk.

I can't change his drinking but I can recommend that he stop driving. It is solely laziness and convenience that he does.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
stop that fvck before he kills someone.
absolutely. besides, IMO 6-7 pints over two hours isn't necessarily a drinking problem, but it might become one. and if you talk to him, what's the worst that could happen, he's mad at you? aw, widdle boozer got him feewings hurt.
talk to him.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Is he a reasonable person?
Then he's probably considered how much he drinks, and how drunk he gets, and made the decision that he's capable of driving.

Is he an unreasonable person?
Then he's probably not going to listen to you.

Should you say something? If you feel like you should, then do it. Six beers in three hours would stop me from driving... but 4 probably wouldn't. We're all different. I need to get a keychain breathalyzer.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
6 pints in 2-3 hours...I would not be driving. Even if I thought I'd be fine in terms of driving ability/concentration, the risks of getting busted and being slightly over the limit are really big.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Anyone who kn ows me, knows I can drink...ALOT, and still be "capable" of driving, but I wont drive if I have more than three tops, and thats over three hours. Im a big guy, I can absolutly hold my liquer just fine, but driving after six or seven pints is just stupid.

Seriously, learning the hard way probably wont change anything permantly, maybe slow him down for a little while but he will be back at it. If he is truly a friend, youll say something.

Bottom line is, if something happens he wont be hurting only himself, but someone else as wel, this is what friends are for..... to look out for each other.

I will also add, it will be easier to talk someone out of driving when sleepy over someone who drinks then drives.

Please say something, and say it again and again and again....... As a friend something you should think about if he doesnt listen and continues his ways..... Stop being around him, a friend would do something like this to show how serious they are. Sometimes thats the best thing you can do..... let them know your not going to be there when something bad happens.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
ok so I don't have to go clean up the aftermath...

get right in his face and tell hill he is too drunk to drive and to give you the keys

if he refuses say fine you go get behind the wheel and I'll be on the phone with 911 giving them your name, plate, and route home, I'm not letting you kill or hurt yourself or anyone else. don't like it then man up and get in the cab with the rest of us

harsh but when you have rolled up on enough DUI wrecks like a bunch of us have you would understand what the right thing to do is