Quantcast

* By the fucking jesus *

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I went with what came natural to me. Drawing and making objects is as easy as breathing. Was good at math, but really had to work at it.

A few years ago I looked into Med School to see what it would require as far as going back to school. I needed about two years to complete science classes and to go through the application process. And that would mean that I would be in residency in my 50s. Too old to do two 24 hour shifts per week in addition to regular shifts. Nope. I do think, with my hand skills, I could have made a good surgeon.

Have you considered black market organ harvesting? Requires skills but no license.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I went with what came natural to me. Drawing and making objects is as easy as breathing. Was good at math, but really had to work at it.

A few years ago I looked into Med School to see what it would require as far as going back to school. I needed about two years to complete science classes and to go through the application process. And that would mean that I would be in residency in my 50s. Too old to do two 24 hour shifts per week in addition to regular shifts. Nope. I do think, with my hand skills, I could have made a good surgeon.
Fuck that shit. NO ONE should be doing 24 hour shifts where a human being's life is concerned. This has gotten better in hospitals and clinics from what I hear, but some of this craziness still goes on. We had to regulate in hard rest periods for pilots and there are a few outfits out there still illegal requiring people to be "on call" 24 hours, but we have largely eliminated insufficient rest periods in aviation for pilots. Some of the stuff they've been doing in medicine is just insane criminal, back to back 24 hour shifts, etc. If I really wanted to go down that path, I wouldn't let that stop you, 1, because it's gotten significantly better and is starting to take hints from other industries, and 2, because I'd punch someone in the face that told me to do that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Still legal to do 24 hours on service + 6 hours of handoff care (might be down to 4) every 3rd day, afaik.

/me hasn't worked overnight in any fashion since 2012 and doesn't plan to again

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Still legal to do 24 hours on service + 6 hours of handoff care (might be down to 4) every 3rd day, afaik.

/me hasn't worked overnight in any fashion since 2012 and doesn't plan to again
Let me guess, if we gave them adequate rest, the price of health care would go up?! :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Let me guess, if we gave them adequate rest, the price of health care would go up?! :)
That's indeed one argument. Another is that residents need the hands-on hours to get sufficient experience by the time they finish their programs. Yet another is that shorter shifts make for more handoffs, and more handoffs mean more chances for the ball to be dropped.

Residents in the program where I'm faculty work at most 12 hours straight, I believe. Overnight shifts are 10 hours as part of a week or multiple weeks only on night (night float).

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Fuck that shit. NO ONE should be doing 24 hour shifts where a human being's life is concerned. This has gotten better in hospitals and clinics from what I hear, but some of this craziness still goes on.
I used to ride with a Doctor who was doing a fellowship and was required to pull at least two 24 hour shifts per week. It isn't safe for either the patients or the physicians and seems to be just a form of hazing that has yet to be deprecated. Perpetuated from one class to the next.

Kind of similar to the shit they do to Art Students. We rarely got to sleep every night. Going 24 hours without sleep was just normal. But that was when I was in my early twenties. Now I need a nap after a big Sunday breakfast.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Ambulance crews still do 24s on occasion followed by 24 off. Part of that 24 is on call from sleeping quarters though. regulars shifts are either 4 10s or 3 12;s per week

Same with fire, 3 24s on duty then 4 days off. 8am to 6pm in uniform then the rest of the night on call in quarters but not required to be in uniform.

some days you run more that a call per hour for a full day and others you may have 1-2 calls a day. i remember on shift we got toned out at 5am ran ran back to back calls all day returning to the station at 8pm having eaten every cliff and power bar and drank every bottle of water and gatoraid on the engine. Another time on a wildland fire I was on the hoseline for 18 straight hours before getting pulled off ro 6 hours of rehab (eat and sleep before going back onto the fire line for another 10 hours

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I and seems to be just a form of hazing that has yet to be deprecated.
Exactly, every time I've looked into it, this is exactly what I find, like it's some kind of ridiculous "rite of passage".

This will blow up in their face in the future, there is no doubt. Responsible organizations will put in controls, others with toxic cultures that can't see outside of their own skewed organization will be sued into oblivion over it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Picked up a friend from the airport on the middle of stage 3 of snowmaggeddon, saw several BMWs in ditches and kissing guardrails
I bet they are going to be pissed when they find out their fancy cars came with summer tires.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Picked up a friend from the airport on the middle of stage 3 of snowmaggeddon, saw several BMWs in ditches and kissing guardrails
I bet they are going to be pissed when they find out their fancy cars came with summer tires.
Last winter, I think, Dale Earnhardt Jr., the famed NASCAR driver, wrecked on less than an inch of snow.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Eating non-spicy North Indian food == massive, unpleasant Indian-tasting reflux.

My spicy Thai food doesn’t do this to me. Yet more reason to never stray from Thai.

(Up because I fed the baby a bottle.)