Quantcast

Bye-Bye Bike

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So in late December, I sent 3 big boxes of bike frames and parts from CA to a buddy in VA, since I was moving to VA temporarily until I got to my next job.

He told me he got the shipment and it was in his garage--I've been living in a hotel since January and didn't think too much about it until today, when we finally had lunch. Turns out he only got 2 boxes, and the big rolling hard case that had my RFX in it is missing an unaccounted for. I've shredded or lost the DHL receipt, although I guess we can try and track it based on the tracking #s for the boxes he did get. Dunno how successful I'll be given the time delay on a claim--and apparently the boxes were sitting outside his house, so maybe they did deliver it and someone ran off with it. Hopefully my renter's insurance will cover the loss if DHL won't.

This sucks--all the rest of the stuff I sent was parts and frames I was looking to sell before I left the country, not even complete bikes, so I may not have anything to ride this spring. And I really liked my RFX! Oddly, I'm not too emotional about it--been riding so little that it's all sort of abstract. And maybe we'll be able to track it down, but still...

MD

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You can usually look up shipments on the DHL site based on date shipped too. Not sure how far back it goes, but I would expect at least 90 days.

Damn, that sucks. At least if you can find it on the DHL site, you can see if they marked it as delivered.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You lost and RFX and you're not too emotional about it.
You are in denial brother! Hope it turns up or you get a settlement, that sucks Mike!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You can usually look up shipments on the DHL site based on date shipped too. Not sure how far back it goes, but I would expect at least 90 days.

Damn, that sucks. At least if you can find it on the DHL site, you can see if they marked it as delivered.
You need the reference number to track it by date. Don't have one right now, but will contact the Office Depot I shipped from to see if they have one. Should be able to dig something up from the simultaneous shipments to the same address, though, so we shall see.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
DHL screwed me (not completely their fault) when I bought my Enduro Pro while in NZ. It was the only method the shop offered to ship I guess since they couldn't figure out any other way. I paid like $400 or $600 for international air shipping and was 4 days guaranteed. It took 21 days because they tried to deliver it to my friend's office and asked for me instead of my friend even though I gave the shop written instructions in the email with the shipping address that it must be to his attention. DHL did not deliver it there since I was not there but the people in the office knew about a bike coming. After many days and phone calls I finally figured out what happened and they delivered to the office from their shipping warehouse.

The shop never contacted DHL even though I emailed them numerous times about it and so never refunded my shipping. At least they gave me a good price on the bike :rant:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You need the reference number to track it by date. Don't have one right now, but will contact the Office Depot I shipped from to see if they have one. Should be able to dig something up from the simultaneous shipments to the same address, though, so we shall see.
Oh, ok. I have an account and just have them pick it up the next day rather than haul stuff to have it shipped. I know I can log into my account and look at my shipping history based on date shipped without a waybill or reference.

I would think Office Depot would be able to look it up though.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
If my RFX got lost in the mail somewhere, I sure as **** would be an emotional wreck. Such fun friggin' bikes.

Hope it turns up somehow.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
This thread makes me sad. When I get home tonight I am going to hug my bike.
Yeah, well, I was hoping to get down to C-Ville/out to the mountains and ride sometime, too, if not plan a trip to Asheville at some point.

My hardtail is in storage now and I can't access it, so hopefully I'll have this resolved by either finding the RFX or getting a settlement and a new ride by the time spring rolls around.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, well, I was hoping to get down to C-Ville/out to the mountains and ride sometime, too, if not plan a trip to Asheville at some point.

My hardtail is in storage now and I can't access it, so hopefully I'll have this resolved by either finding the RFX or getting a settlement and a new ride by the time spring rolls around.
Well if you still want to ride C'ville and don't get your bikes sorted I have a medium Yeti 575 I could lend you.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, well--tracked down a tracking # and it was never delivered! Looks like someone's got some 'splainin to do!!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Heh, well, it made it as far as Fresno. My bet is that there's an ex-warehouse clerk on a pretty sweet ride rolling around a flat, sandy street somewhere in the central valley.

Or that they screwed up and it's just sitting in the warehouse...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Heh, well, it made it as far as Fresno. My bet is that there's an ex-warehouse clerk on a pretty sweet ride rolling around a flat, sandy street somewhere in the central valley.

Or that they screwed up and it's just sitting in the warehouse...
Well at least I know now that DHL NZ is on par with DHL US:clapping:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Oh, I forgot...look what DHL found a few weeks ago. Just picked it up from my buddy yesterday. A fork adjuster knob is broken off, was missing a rear brake pad, and my front brake is mysteriously worthless, but I have it...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dunno. Just picked it up yesterday--went for a ride rather than calling anyone.

Might have to send the fork in for a rebuild, so I'll probably try and claim that from them along with the cost of fixing the brake.

I have only the most basic tools and no hydro stuff, so it looks like it's off to Performance with the bike.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Dunno. Just picked it up yesterday--went for a ride rather than calling anyone.

Might have to send the fork in for a rebuild, so I'll probably try and claim that from them along with the cost of fixing the brake.

I have only the most basic tools and no hydro stuff, so it looks like it's off to Performance with the bike.
I would make sure they knew my bike was clean when it went into the box as well, I mean, it was clean wasnt it??? You have a nice pic there showing a bike that has been riden, I mean even if it wasnt clean, sure would sound good to me. Not that I suggest fraud, but with all the mix up, would be really nice for them to pony up and fix you up